Weight gain feed for fussy cushings horse

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice on feed. Horse is on two pracend a day, 16yrs old and has 14 kilos of hayledge (cant have hay) half scooo twice a day of TB herbal chaff, have tried others he will eat this one consistantly, and a small handful of dengie meadow grass nuts in each feed.

He is a bit too lean going into summer, i am hoping grass might come through soon but if it doesnt i need something to help him out.

He goes very sharpe and explosive on anything with alfafa otherwise i would have put him on that.

Is CoolStance copra worth a try? Not sure if linseed will heat him up or not.

He has had baileys lo cal last year but then had a huge bout of mud fever a month after going on it....might have been a coincidence but not taking chances. Can anyone recomend anyother balancer?

meleeka

Visit site
Linseed is usually fine. I’ve used Cushcare and it worked well at putting condition on. Allen & Page also do one now, Care & Gain. I don’t think a balancer would be needed as well. I haven’t used Copra as mine wouldn’t eat it, but plenty of people rate it.

Boulty

Visit site
My cushings horse did really well on copra and I found it to be a non heating feed and several of the poor doers at current yard are on it and have put weight on that they weren’t doing with their previous feed. Just be aware it’s deficient in calcium which you may need to take into account if you feed a lot of it depending on what else you’re feeding alongside

MatHalTed

Visit site
I will say regarding the Copra, I tried both my rather fussy gelding (and my mare who'll eat anything if you let her) on it and neither of them would touch it. They'd just pick around it, even when only added in small quantities.

Caol Ila

Visit site
My old mare, who had cushings by the end of her life, became the fussiest thing ever.

In addition to Copra, I had some success with Equi-Jewel, which is a rice bran based feed.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I've just ventured into this area of the forum to ask the exact same question.

Are grass nuts good for laminitis prone types? I kind of struggle with the idea of restricting grass and then replacing it with pure grass nuts.
I wish they sold these things like Copra and Equijewl in little sandwich bag trials!

meleeka

Visit site
I've just ventured into this area of the forum to ask the exact same question.

Are grass nuts good for laminitis prone types? I kind of struggle with the idea of restricting grass and then replacing it with pure grass nuts.
I wish they sold these things like Copra and Equijewl in little sandwich bag trials!

Most of them are too high in sugar. You should be aiming for less than 10% sugar and starch combined. I think one of the Emerald ones is ok.

Eta - I just checked Emerald Meadow Magic is under 10%

rhino

Visit site
You can get trial packets of coolstance copra, you just pay £1 postage. I think you can get up to 5 little bags.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
You can get trial packets of coolstance copra, you just pay £1 postage. I think you can get up to 5 little bags.

Oh amazing thank you!
Most of them are too high in sugar. You should be aiming for less than 10% sugar and starch combined. I think one of the Emerald ones is ok.

Eta - I just checked Emerald Meadow Magic is under 10%
Can you feed them dry? Just a handful, literally or do they need soaking

paddy555

Visit site
I will say regarding the Copra, I tried both my rather fussy gelding (and my mare who'll eat anything if you let her) on it and neither of them would touch it. They'd just pick around it, even when only added in small quantities.
I fed copra to my cushings very successfully.
I thought he may turn his nose up at it so I put him in a position to steal it. He found his way into the feed room and nicked it. All perfectly set up for him and he thought it was great and tasted far better when stolen.
That solved the fussiness problem and got him established on it. Then I moved onto the rest that I wanted on copra. Fed him and they got very peeved when they didn't get fed so tried to nick his.

Dr Kellon did recommend cushings should have 5000iu vit e per day which I did and decided it was well worth it.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I would think a lean horse going into summer is a good thing, why not post a picture on here as most of us have our horses too well covered.. if he is thin then something like fast fibre is easy to eat and my cushings mare loved it