Weight Gain Needed On a Laminitic

welshdz

Visit site
Hi,

I have a Welsh D that is prone to laminitis. He is currently underweight and has been for a while.

Due to having laminitis last year he was on box rest for 10 months and lost his weight and muscle.

He is fully sound and happy in himself but needs to put some weight on. At the miniute he is on Alfa A and Calm and Condition and has his feeds split throughout the day so he's constantly grazing really. He does get turn out for a few hours a day (not full day) and always has hay to munch on.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of getting weight on a laminitic without any sugars and starch.

Other than being underweight he is healthy.

Thanks

TwoStroke

Visit site
Have you condition scored him? At this time of the year I'd be very cautious about any weight gain measures. Calm and Condition is not a brilliant feed for a laminitic due to the WSC content. Micronised linseed is generally safe for laminitics.

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
I use Lifeforce for my cob - she spent 5 months on box rest with laminitis - it works by improving the hind gut function so they extract the maximum nutrients from their feed - she has an unmolassed chaff and hay all year round - and maintains her weight perfectly and has had no lami wobbles in 5 yeas. Lifeforce contains no calories in itself - it is live yeasts and organic minerals which also improve hoof quality and growth. It is approved for use by the FEI for all levels of competition so is safe to use.

I would drop the Calm and Condition immediately for a laminitic as it contains cereals which will make the starch levels rise in your horses blood - starches are just sugars b another name - BAD for lami :(

welshdz

Visit site
He'd condition score at about 2 really. He's 15.3 and 438kg.

Thanks for the advice will look at getting him some

Menolly

Visit site
I had the same situation as you where i needed to put weight on a cushings pony rather than get it off. I fed micronised linseed with good effects to get weight safely and it also meant I didn't have to feed large meals.

Other feeds i have used for weight gain which are low in sugars and starch is speedibeet, AlfAlfa pellets and you could also try switching to Alfa A oil.

X

JEZA

Visit site
Dear OP
I have a severe laminitic, (EMS and cushings etc!) and Ive struggled to get weight gain on her for about 2 years so I sympathise. I dont like seeing her ribs but she's sound.
Mine goes out for longer than yours but with a muzzle on, then she has Healthy hooves for her meal with all her additives and tablets and ad lib soaked and rinsed hay. I dont use box rest as she gets upset and her stable is too small. So far sound virtually all the time for 1 year (except for the only time I let the farrier "tidy" her feet). I do all her trimming now, which is very little.
Good Luck with yours, it truly is a nightmare.

spookypony

Visit site
I've been trying to feed up my pony, who is also a laminitis risk. He's an endurance pony in the middle of his competitive season. He's on hay, and gets 2 feeds made up of Lucie Nuts, Speedibeet, linseed, and Copra meal (+minerals etc.). The copra meal and linseed are meant to be the weight gain part of this, along with a considerable amount of extra fibre from the other stuff. I settled on this programme after consulting with my trimmer, the Forage Plus people, and various people with horses that have metabolic problems. What do your vet and hoof-care professional suggest?

welshdz

Visit site
Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I will be changing his feed gradually over the next few weeks and will see how it all goes. :)

TwoStroke

Visit site
Ah, if he's a 2 then he could do with a boost I agree. I'd use speedibeet and linseed; fibre and oil. The things to avoid are starch and sugar. The speedibeet actually has a higher conditioning index as well as being lower in sugar and starch, so it's a win win :).

welshdz

Visit site
Thanks, will certainly try.

Once I've got this sorted I'm sure he'll be fine. He's really up for anything at the moment and back to being bolshy, just needs the weight/condition back to normal.