Weight gain suggestions for working spaniel?

druid

Visit site
We're only a month into the shooting season and already the Springer is dropping weight. He's raw fed and I don't want to change that. He weighed 20kg and was getting 600g of meat a day which is at the top end of the scale for the recommended amount (3% of body weight).

Now he's working we've upped it to 800g a day and he's still a bit ribbier than I would like. He gets so het up and excited about working that he's stressing weight off. He often won't eat on shoot mornings.

My problem is he won't eat any more than 800g a day (in two/three small meals) . Would adding salmon oil add calories like in horses? Or any other suggestions?

I am going to bring him in for a weigh in at the vets today to see how much he's lost. He is regularly wormed etc also.

paulineh

Visit site
Many years ago my old vet told me to use Mazola oil. He always used it with his working dogs.

Just a table spoonful over their food. I add it to my working Spaniels feed in the evenings it's just the job for keeping the weight on them.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
can you split into 3 smaller feeds and try to sneak a bit extra in that way? Ive found the 3% guide doesnt apply to any of my dogs haha, they all need way more.

For weight gain try to feed a diet that is high in lamb and duck as these are the fattiest meats you will get, worked brilliantly for my skinnie minnie.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Tripe isn't high in calories, though. It's often suggested for fussy dogs because they always seem to like it.

Defo salmon oil rather than mazola (which can be bought in supermarkets) and it'll be fab for his coat, too. Chicken carcasses are a guaranteed food to put weight on my three.