Weight gain without fizziness

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
So I've had my ex racehorse on baileys no 4 for about 6 weeks, however It has 24% starch which ive only just found out, and I can tell he's getting more fizzy/ stressy! He's also fed speedibeet, a little bit of chaff and linseed. Basically I need something to add condition with low starch and sugar levels - I have been suggested just a normal balancer and also coolstance copra? Any advice on these options or others?

WelshD

Visit site
I personally have found Copra to be amazing stuff, Its like the consistency of wet sand when soaked so I feed it very very wet in a slop just to avoid any potential problems, I've had the pony three years, he is a poor do-er but has never looked better

soulfull

Visit site
I have just bought an under weight ex racer. I will be feeding alfa oil, linseed meal and spillers balancer, as I know it works and builds good muscle too

Last edited:

Bunnymare

Visit site
I also have an ex racer, the best thing I've found is plenty of hay (ad lib), then she gets a feed of pasture mix, grassnuts, Alfa A original, linseed and her supplements twice daily. I keep her well rugged ( stabled at night) and last year she came out of winter like a tank 😊 she was also in work 3 - 4 times a week.

ktj1891

Visit site
I have an ex racer (very poor doer). He used to be on Baileys No 4 and numerous other things. He is now barefoot so i have him on copra, kwikbeet and linseed along with supps. Main think i would say is forage forage forage, so out as much as possible. Despite popular belief for TB they wont die from being left out in the field and feed adlib hay :)

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
He's on ad lib forage at the moment, i am going to look into grass nuts as well as a few people have mentioned them. With copra how long does a bag last?

Charlie007

Visit site
Hi, I have an exracer who needed to put weight on without the fizz. He is on TopSpec comprehensive balancer, TopSpec cool condition cubes, grass chaff and linseed. He looks fabulous and his coat is like glass. This feed has not changed his temprement at all

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We found that grassnuts and grass chaff were great for putting weight back onto an elderly horse after a nasty bout of colic and then maintaining her weight. If she needed a bit more in winter, we gave her Speedibeet, too.

WelshD

Visit site
He's on ad lib forage at the moment, i am going to look into grass nuts as well as a few people have mentioned them. With copra how long does a bag last?

I have an 11.2hh so not entirely relevant but I still have the bag I bought around March time. Its very economical even compared to something like linseed

wench

Visit site
Plenty of things you can feed. Pure feeds spring to mind, as does a decent balancer added with some baileys outshine, grass nuts.

kez81

Visit site
I use grass nuts and chaff (along with a scoop of veteran mix and oil) through the winter to keep weight on my 28 year old. I have tried all sorts of weight gain and conditioning feeds and mixes but this works best for him. The grass nuts are great as they give him a little boost without sending him loopy!

Miss D

New User
Visit site
I personally have found Copra to be amazing stuff, Its like the consistency of wet sand when soaked so I feed it very very wet in a slop just to avoid any potential problems, I've had the pony three years, he is a poor do-er but has never looked better

Love coolstance copra, I feed it mixed with balancer and chaff in big mash, took my girl a while to get the hang of it. but she looks fab on it.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Copra is great and has no added cheap fillers like a lot of balancers and "pure" feeds you can buy.

Speedibeet tends to make them a tad excitable in my experience.

Alfa pellets are good for condition and muscle building.

Jemma7967

Visit site
Baileys No.1 is brilliant, we have used it on our thoroughbreds for years and definitely makes them gain wait without the fizziness! We feed it with basic pony nuts and chaff and can see a noticeable difference within two weeks :)

Annagain

Visit site
I found adding a good slug of oil (up to 100ml) to feeds worked wonders for my boy when I first had him. I bought a 10L drum from the cash and carry for about £15 and it lasted me all winter. The hardest part was getting it out of the drum without spilling it everywhere. I decanted it into a 2L lemonade bottle every so often with the help of 2 friends - one to help lift the drum and another to hold the bottle and funnel!

Last edited:

TGM

Visit site
Baileys No.1 is brilliant, we have used it on our thoroughbreds for years and definitely makes them gain wait without the fizziness! We feed it with basic pony nuts and chaff and can see a noticeable difference within two weeks :)

Bailey's No 1 is pure micronized wheat, and micronized wheat is the main ingredient of Bailey's No 4 which the OP is already feeding (and having problems with), so might not be the best option for the OP's individual horse.

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
So at the moment I've gone for feeding him a balancer, the topspec cool one, and up the amount of linseed. I'm going to see how he does on that and then perhaps introduce winergy condition or perhaps copra once we get to proper winter. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site

Our ex racer is feed two coffe mugs of linseed a day, a Stubbs scoop of alpha a oil, scoop of fibre nuggets, scoop eet aplha beet and his supplements, hack up bespoke tummy one and all tech life force.

He also gets three buckets of halleys grass chop a day along with adlib hay

Also have a look at Dodson and Hormel ers pellets. Brilliant stuff