Weight Loss

buzyizzy

Visit site
I have the vet coming out tomorrow, to do teeth and check the pony's eyesight as there's a possibility of cataracts (blue tint in right eye), but I thought I would ask you too.

I can't seem to upload pictures, so I hope I give a really good description of the change of shape.
I also have an ID x Appy who is almost 17 years old. He's fit and well and happy to ride and canter and has an enthusiastic jump as usual. Since moving him away from a yard in April, he hasn't done any school work, just hacking with lots of very steep hills. He has dropped quite a bit of weight to the point where I am having to give him quite a bit of hay each day when they come in. I would like him to stay out, but yard doesn't do 24hr turnout and anyway, the Connie needs to come in off the grass.
I have noticed the last month that he seems to have dropped condition off the top of his bum, where his pelvis is, with the result that his pelvis is now higher than his spine and he has a channel in between the two sides of his SI joint (I think that's where it is). He is quite muscley on his hind quarters, it's just the lack of anything covering his spine that has worried me. I have had to put a gel pad under his saddle to raise his saddle off his withers more as I noticed it had dropped a lot. Is it just lack of schooling and topline, worms, or something more sinister? He gets 12lbs hay when in, same supplier as we always use, plus 2lbs honeychop lite, then 1 1/2 mugs linseed, alfafa pro and formula 4 feet for his tea each day. I ride about 3 times a week, always a hard hack. They are out 12 hours at night, moorland grazing, so low quality, but ample supply.
I am a bit baffled. I don't recall him doing this when he was uber fit a few years back :(

twiggy2

Visit site
Does he clear up all his hay?
Could he have a chronic pain issue such as arthritis or similar?
Grumbling low grade pain can cause weight loss, it may be he is just aging bit there is usually a reason for weight loss if nothing else has changed.

buzyizzy

Visit site
This described him exactly, so I am going to increase his linseed and lunge him a few times a week. Sounds as tho it is just lack of topline. Yes, I was wondering about low grade pain too. I may be able to tell more by lunging him. Thanks for your thoughts :)

buzyizzy

Visit site
Oh Lord, I hope not.
This was the link I forgot to load, so I am going to concentrate on schooling and lunging him to see if I can regain his topline. He hasn't done anything other than hacking since April and he really enjoys his schooling. I shall also take him out for short hacks and keep him in outline. See how he goes, if no improvement, then Cushings test it is.