Weight of tack, clothes and boots - shocked!

sallyg

Visit site
I've just weighed myself naked and then dressed for riding in jods, fleece, t-shirt, jod boots and carrying my horse's saddle and bridle. I'm horrified that there was exactly 2 stone difference! I didn't think it would be anything like that much, especially as my saddle isn't that heavy and I have plastic stirrups. Altogether I weigh 17% of his weight so that has spurred me on to lose some more weight to get to 15%. Gutted!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
It's surprising isn't it?

I took a set of scales to a horse weigh in for RC and some ladies were aghast at the difference in weight when weighed with clobber on and holding tack. We didn't make weights public, but it was done discretely but there were still some very :redface3: folk

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I did this a few years ago and posted it on here. I too found around 2 stone difference (28lbs to be exact) and some people on here said it was rubbish and it was more like one stone. Pleased someone else has done it.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I did this a few years ago and posted it on here. I too found around 2 stone difference (28lbs to be exact) and some people on here said it was rubbish and it was more like one stone. Pleased someone else has done it.

LOL....I remember that thread....I weighed all my kit and it came out at 27lbs...they didn't believe that either.

rara007

Visit site
I only need to know my weight for riding so I don't know the difference! I know my weight in heavy yard boots (grassmeres, polo top, hoody coat, phone purse keys in pocket and thermal tights and breeches :p ) That's heavier than show kit. I don't bring my tack in to weight though as I know how much that is and that's stable. (Well I assume it is :p )

Last edited:

Nudibranch

Visit site
I can absolutely imagine it's 2 stone. And someone on this forum once said I was "ridiculous" for having a big enough horse that I am 13% without tack...

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Think I'd be about 11% without tack, at a slim weight for me and the horse. It might be less in the summer depending on how well I control his weight!

Interesting thing to consider which I've not given much thought too, never thought my tack etc would weigh that much, although can well believe it does.

Shay

Visit site
This is largely why folk go over weight towing.

If this is just the weight difference carrying every day tack and nothing more - how much more is it with water, lunch, hay, spares of stuff, groom, groom's stuff, something waterproof etc? Not to mention everyday stuff in the vehicle, weight of fuel etc......

Good post OP.

SpringArising

Visit site
I well believe it too. It's scary really when you consider that some people are already much too big for what they're riding, without even factoring in the saddle/boots/clothing etc.

Poor horses. Some people are too self-indulged to think of the poor thing that has to carry them.

scats

Visit site
I am a slim and small person, but I weigh a lot more than anyone believes when I tell them. I personally believe that me plus tack are nearing the top end of what my pony should carry, despite the fact that I effectively look pretty small on her considering she is only 14hh (but chunky)

I know someone who is at least 4-5 stone too heavy for their extremely lightweight horse, but because it is 16hh, they think it can carry more weight.

stormox

Visit site
my albion K2, lemieux sheepskin, acavallo gel pad, bridle and hunting breastplate alone weigh 31 lbs, which is 2st 3lbs! luckily Im only 7st so probably not too heavy.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I am a slim and small person, but I weigh a lot more than anyone believes when I tell them. I personally believe that me plus tack are nearing the top end of what my pony should carry, despite the fact that I effectively look pretty small on her considering she is only 14hh (but chunky)

I know someone who is at least 4-5 stone too heavy for their extremely lightweight horse, but because it is 16hh, they think it can carry more weight.

Is their horse having problems carrying them?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I weigh bridged 3 horses recently and all weighed at least 80kgs more than the weigh tape said. Both readings taken by a professional at the same time.

I'd spend less time worrying about what other people are doing and more time out riding your horses :)

scats

Visit site
Is their horse having problems carrying them?

You know what, it really doesn't. Or certainly doesn't seem to. It's just looks quite shocking when you first see it and I have heard people making quite rude comments about it at shows.

Another thing I wonder- should we base the 20% rule on what that horse should ideally weigh for its type/height/build, or the amount it actually weighs? Bearing in mind a lot of horses are overweight, does this automatically mean that we can expect them to carry more simply because they are carrying more weight themselves than they should?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
You know what, it really doesn't. Or certainly doesn't seem to. It's just looks quite shocking when you first see it and I have heard people making quite rude comments about it at shows.

Another thing I wonder- should we base the 20% rule on what that horse should ideally weigh for its type/height/build, or the amount it actually weighs? Bearing in mind a lot of horses are overweight, does this automatically mean that we can expect them to carry more simply because they are carrying more weight themselves than they should?

I would expect that an overweight horse should carry LESS weight in the rider than a horse of normal weight. There is obviously a limit to what a horse's legs, joints and back can take, which is the whole point of being aware of how much everything weighs. I do, however, think that a lot of horses are capable of carrying more than people think. Formulas for working out how much that should be are only of limited use as different types can carry more, or less, weight than these calculations are designed to predict. Common sense would be my go-to, but that doesn't seem to be readily available any more.....

scats

Visit site
I would expect that an overweight horse should carry LESS weight in the rider than a horse of normal weight. There is obviously a limit to what a horse's legs, joints and back can take, which is the whole point of being aware of how much everything weighs. I do, however, think that a lot of horses are capable of carrying more than people think. Formulas for working out how much that should be are only of limited use as different types can carry more, or less, weight than these calculations are designed to predict. Common sense would be my go-to, but that doesn't seem to be readily available any more.....

Agree with you 100%. My mare is overweight by about 50kg (we are working hard to combat this), but I still base my calculations on the weight she should be rather than the weight she currently is.

sallyg

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I think we all have a duty to give our horses the lightest load that we can. I know the research is a bit basic around this subject. In particular any excess weight the horse is carrying itself needs to be factored in and the horse's weight carrying capacity should be decreased if it gains weight (as in fat, not muscle), not increased. My horse has lost 60kg since I bought him, to reach his ideal weight as advised by my vet and has been weighed on a weighbridge at the vet's. He is a 15 1 show cob type who has 9.25 inches of bone. He is broad across the loins, which is a good thing for weight carrying. The definition of a lightweight cob for showing is that it should be capable of carrying up to 14 stone but I think people forget the 2 stone of tack and clothes. So a maximum of 12 stone of rider is about right. You do see some worrying sights of people who look much too heavy for their horses though. I do think it depends what you do with the horse as well. We have quite sedate life, mainly hacking in walk and very light schooling. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing lots of cantering or starting to jump him until I was lighter and within the 15%.