Weight Tape

Lucyann89

Visit site
Watched the programme 'Healthy Horses' on Horse and Country on sky, and it was a really good episode where it talked about using the weight tape to give a rough idea of what your horse weighs and also using a score sheet to judge their body condition (0-very skinny, 3-perfect, 5-obese).

So I went out and bought one (15.99 for a piece of tape!) and used it on both my horses. Toby, my 14.1hh Highland has had a leg injury and so has not been ridden in a while, has piled on the pounds and is very much a score 5 on body condition and according to the tape weighs 1060kg which is the weight an 18.2hh horse should b apparently. This, okay I admit is believable, I cannot feel his ribs! However, my second horse, Eric is a thoroughbred 15.2hh and we have spent a long time getting him from skinny, body condition 2, to 'perfect' body condition 3. Since he is a thoroughbred he is very dainty, but according to my tape, he weighs around 800kg. This cannot be right!! I'm sure I'm using the tape correctly so what else can I do to find his weight?

P.S; my highland is on box rest at the moment but will be on a diet/exercise regime as soon as he is well, incase anyone thought I was going to let him stay this way!

celia

Visit site
Personally I haven't found weight tapes to be very accurate at all! They are, however, very handy for monitoring weight loss and this is the only thing I use mine for. To be honest I'm sure a tape measure would be just as good for this (I only use the weight tape because I got it for free!)

Nari

Visit site
I find that unlikely I must admit.

I've got a 16.2 ID who is fairly short legged & deep barrelled plus he's rather plump at the moment but even so he comes in at a bit under 700kg on my weigh tape & in the past I've had him down to 650kg which is about his right weight (RI thought he looked a bit too light though).

I know there are a couple of calculations you can do based on a few different measurements but I can't remember what they are. Are you sure you're using it correctly? Does anyone else on your yard have a tape you can use to see what weight that gives?

Lucyann89

Visit site
I keep them at my house so there's no-one around to help. I'm pretty positive I'm using it the right way, yeh. Good news, Toby might not actually be 1060kg then haha!

Thanks, I will google and see if I can find any calculations.

Lucyann89

Visit site
Yes I could have got it cheaper but it's very good qaulity and came with the conditioning score cards etc and tips for losing weight/gaining it but I was very eager to weigh my boys so put it down as an investment!!

There is only one side but it ranges from 11hh through to 18.3hh?

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
I didn't think it was possible for a 14.1hh to weigh that much!
And the TB should be about 500kg in that condition.
So something is definately going wrong!
But as you know how to condition score and seem to have a good idea of how over/underweight your horses are then do you really need a weigh tape? Gut instinct is often a very good measure.

The formula you're looking for is:
weight= ((girth)squared * length) divided by 11,877

All measurements in cm. * = multiplied by

This method is about 95% accurate

Chex

Visit site
I can't imagine the Highland could possibly weigh that much
crazy.gif
. When Chex was really fat last year he was 550kg (he's also 14.1 and cobby). There's just no way a pony could be double the weight of him! Not sure whats going wrong lol

Fantasy_World

Visit site
I also cannot believe those measurements either because when I used a weight tape to estimate the weight of both mine in May I found that:
Dougal a 16 year old Clydesdale cross, 16.3 hands and built like a brick...... you know the rest was 850kg
While Mcfly a 6 year old heavyweight cob standing at 14.3 hands was 545kg.

I also believe that even though the tape came with condition cards it was way overpriced. I paid around £4 for mine and sold a brand new one on Ebay for about the same.
If you visit the Dodson and Horrell website
web page Dodson and Horrell
Click on horse and then advice and support and then you can download various information sheets regarding managing your horse's weight, laminitis and many more.
ALL FOR FREE.
Caz

puddicat

puddicat.blogspot.com
The best weight tape is Dodson and Horrell's (with a horse side and a pony side), all other weight tapes and girth formulas are subject to [unquantified] errors which at a conservative guess would be about 10% and playing-it-safe guess of 15%.

There are two reasons why the Dodson and Horrell tape gives an improved weight estimate. First they separated ponies and horses into different scales (one each side of the tape) preventing large errors for very large and very small animals. Second they obtained the mathematical relationships used to create the tape using nonlinear regression of data from about 2000 animals. The regression function, a polynimial, allowed a much better relationship between girth and weight to be obtained than those represented by traditional girth/weight formulae.

dun_in

Visit site
An overweight Highland of 14:1hh would probably weigh around 500kg, or a bit more if very fat. ( - up to 550kg or so - not likely to be more than that). I agree with the responses that say check if it is lbs or kg (approx 2.2 lbs to a kg). 1060lbs is around 482kg.

Also (sorry to ask) are you using the tape correctly, i.e. around the body just below the withers and just behind the front legs, with the tape fairly firm but not tight.

If he really is 1060kg can you post a photo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats more than most shires
shocked.gif

Lucyann89

Visit site
The tape is only printed on one side and has the size of the horse and also weight in kgs and lbs. I use the tape around my pony's tummy, round about where his girth would go behind his legs and at the lowest part of his withers. I pull the tape firmly but not tight. Does this sound wrong? I'll give it another go tomorrow but will also use a piece of string and then measure it in cms, it's really just so I can keep a closer eye on his weight rathan than just saying he 'looks fatter'.

He is verrrry out of shape and a body condition 5, but I did doubt he was 1060kgs. Oh and yes, I did take the kg reading, so something is very wrong!

Will try again and let you all know tomorrow morning