Weight wise...

Antw23uk

Visit site
This is my 12 (I think, god lord, bad dad!!) year old gelding who has been roughed off and out 24/7 since December (they live out 24/7 anyway) He is fed a breakfast but I have yet to feed hay/ haylage. Every time I think about opening the haylage i see them and change my mind and there is definitely 'spring' grass coming through but you can see in the pic how little grass there looks to be but they arent getting thinner!!
OP I do think hay gives them a bit of a belly so if thats all he has day in day out and he has been given the all clear by vet then thats likely your answer to the 'belly'!

To me? Hmmm tricky, maybe a bit too light but its fast approaching end of February so we arent far off spring and I would rather a leaner looking horse than an over weight one and your other pics show he does spring back nicely.

47132501011_6dbf432372.jpg

46218304945_0f1b152b41.jpg

ihatework

Visit site
I agree with everyone else, it’s the overall shape rather than lack of condition that would have me concerned. He really does look like a horse in his 20’s.

This picture is a 20yo, retired for a good 5 years, with uncontrolled Cushings who was put down shortly after. Now I appreciate horses have different body shapes and some fare worse out of work, but personally I’d have a vet check

Attachments

• 7F500158-56F3-4B8C-9D30-C1542E0EEDA9.jpeg
    7F500158-56F3-4B8C-9D30-C1542E0EEDA9.jpeg
    862.6 KB · Views: 40

indie1282

Visit site
I agree with everyone else, it’s the overall shape rather than lack of condition that would have me concerned. He really does look like a horse in his 20’s.

This picture is a 20yo, retired for a good 5 years, with uncontrolled Cushings who was put down shortly after. Now I appreciate horses have different body shapes and some fare worse out of work, but personally I’d have a vet check

When was that pic taken? I would guess spring/summer looking at his coat.
I did say in previous post that the vet has seen him in Feb and wasnt concerned. I will start hard feed and see how he looks once the grass cone through. If I'm still not happy then I will have bloods/cushings test.

J&S

Visit site
I have a 22 yr old who has only been out for quiet walks for a few years now and she looks a lot better than this horse! Even though she has dropped a bit of weight with running out of grass during the last month she still has not got that "saggy" look. I was surprised to read this horse was only 13 years old. How is she/he in themselves?

SEL

Visit site
It's interesting that a lot of people are worried about the pot belly. One of mine looks almost pregnant when she drops out of work. I'm pretty sure for her it's a combination of the lack of muscle and being on hay.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I honestly thought this was a horse in his late 20s or 30s, OP. I would definitely be getting bloods done, for PPID if not EMS too. Hopefully he's ok, but that is quite a loss of condition.