Weights and heights of your heavies

Janette

Visit site
I always wormed Star at 500 kg. That's what weigh tape said.....

One of the worming companies had a weigh bridge at a show so I had her weighed. We weigh taped her first to. Heck and she came out 510 kg. The lady condition scored her at 3. No crest, no apple bottom. She actually weighed 575kg. Star is a good 14.2 coloured native with 9" of bone.

Annagain

Visit site
My two (17hh and 16.3hh IDx) who are both on the ID side of build rather than their respective crosses (one welshxtb, one cob) come in at about 624kg and about 604kg on the weigh tape. We always worm them at 700kg, partly as we know the weigh tape always under-estimates weight and partly as you should always round UP to the next 100kg. The 17hh is a bit overweight - has this big belly that we just can't shift - but the other is about right, maybe slightly over. They come in during the day with 1 section of hay that's been soaked to death and double netted, are out overnight. The fatty's ridden about 4 times a week and the other about 2-3 as he's got foot problems so can't do too much especially when the ground's hard.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I know from the tape when Hovis is going up or down which helps me manage his intake but to find out they are as far out as some are for me raises questions re worming. Not everyone has access to a weigh bridge and if tapes are THAT far wrong how on earth to people know what to dose wormers at? I appreciate they are not sold as 100% accurate but so many yards use the tapes for worming programmes probably assuming they are "near enough".

We don't worm on our yard. We egg count and blood test so I guess it isn't something I've ever thought about!

Nits is at horsepital so I'll get them to tell me what she really is and tape her when she gets home. Will be interested to see the difference. I never use the weigh tape as I find it easier for me to condition score them. But I would say that as neither is a good doer and so they don't fluctuate much.