Weird circle marks on horse?

saddlesore

Visit site
I call them his 'crop circles' lol! Anyone have any ideas? Small circular areas - less than 1cm diameter - have started to appear on my horse. No visible sign of sores, just small bald patches! One between bum cheeks
blush.gif
and others (around 3 or 4) on hind legs. Obviously my first thought was ring worm but not in the right place and he is well wormed and no where near sheep/cattle. Help please!

Bossanova

Visit site
Ringworm is a fungus and no worming programme on earth could prevent it. They get it from other infected horses.
Sounds like it could possibly be that- you'd need medicated shampoo from the vet

_jetset_

Visit site
Yeah, mine have been treated at this stage, but she had more develop too so just doing them now when and as they become a problem to her.

QUICKFIRE

Visit site
I would say it sounds like the start of ring worm, it has nothing to do with if he his wormed well or not, its a fungus infection.

lhotse

Visit site
Definitely sounds like ringworm. Get some Malaseb shampoo from your vets. Iodine will also work, and can be purchased from your local argriculture merchants. People panic about ringworm, think it's the name, but it's easy to clear up. Sunlight kills it, so leave any rugs, brushes etc out in the sunshine for a couple of days too.

Digger123

Visit site
Didn't realise there was a right place for ringworm !The spores can live in woodwork so they don't necessarily have to be in touch with sheep or cattle. Dare I mention lice ? Sometimes that can cause hair loss but then again you would notice that he would be extremely itchy

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
It could also be an allergic reaction...

... or dirty pores...

Personally I'd get it checked out - it's impossible diagnose by a brief description.
Kate x

saddlesore

Visit site
Thanks guys - reckon id prefer ringworm to sarcoids right enough
frown.gif
I didnt realise ringworm could live in woodwork, any horses i have ever known to have it have been in contact with cattle hence my confusion! Vet coming out on monday anyway to give him booster injection so will get it checked then. Glad sun kills it - roasting and very sunny here at the minute! Do you know if the hair will grow back once the problem is removed?

lhotse

Visit site
Yep, hair will grow back, although if he has a full summer coat already, it may take a little while. He will be fine!!

Tnavas

Visit site
Sounds like ringworm - buy some Nizeral from the chemist and bath him. Dilute in warm water and lather up well, get right into the base of the coat. Leave 10mins and then scrape off residue and then leave to dry.

Nizeral was the only thing that got rid of the ringworm I caught from a kitten. It's a human antifungal shampoo.

saddlesore

Visit site
Goodness
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
My poor nerves cant cope! Will soak everything in iodine tomorrow and boil all brushes/numnahs etc and speak to the vet on monday - thanks everyone for your help - although i'm not sure i like what i heard lol! fingers crossed that i dont have the bloomin 'crop circle' plague myself now!! Is there a knitting forum anywhere? Sounds much safer! (and cheaper
smirk.gif
) x

hellybelly6

Visit site
Could be straight forward itching rubbing the hair away, could be lice/ring worm (no offence), could be occult sarcoids which show up as bald areas.

Speak to your vet as the medication to clear up lice or ring worm is stronger when from a vet.

saddlesore

Visit site
thanks Tnavas - vet coming out tomorrow to give him his booster jag anyway so i will get him to confirm what the problem is and take it from there.
Many thanks to all who replied
grin.gif

jenh166

Visit site
I don't think it scars the skin as such, but I know a horse that had it and the hair grew back a slightly different colour to the rest of his coat.

saddlesore

Visit site
I got googling last night after coming on here and all the websites said it was pretty easy to treat and hair should grow back quite quickly. Not really an answer sorry!
blush.gif

jesterfaerie

Visit site
Thanks Bean, reason for asking is that my boy had what I considered to be an occult sarcoid on his face when I bought him it was round, now it has new hair growth in parts. My vet took a glance and said if its getting smaller leave it be and didn't correct me when I said I thought it was a sarcoid. However talking to an old owner of his the other day and she said her vet said it was a ringworm scar
crazy.gif
never heard of this so wondered if it actualy existed.

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Not sure jf - wouldn't have thought it would scar in the usual meaning of it, but I suppose if it was a bad enough infestation the hair could grow back white. For a showing horse that could be disastrous.