weird dreams about old horse

impresario08

Visit site
I keep having awful dreams about the horse I had PTS in December 2013. I keep dreaming that he's still alive and I've just forgotten about him. Has anyone else been similarly tortured by their brains? :'(

fatpiggy

Visit site
I sometimes wake up in a cold sweat thinking I haven't fed the rabbit. It died of old age in 1983. Don't worry!

turkana

Visit site
Oh yes - I had a much loved mare put down due to a field injury - it was a very upsetting experience (standing in the field with a fataly injured horse waiting for the vet to come & put it down was not pleasant)
Not long afterwards I had a horrible dream that I'd sold her to riding school (she was a high energy ex-race horse so not ideal riding school material!) where they were cruel to her, I was trying to find the money to buy her back.
I was so upset when I woke up! Fortunately I haven't had it again

booandellie

Visit site
I have the same dream about a mare i had pts about 7years ago. For a number of years after i used to dream that i would turn up at the yard to see her( it was always different to the yard she was actually on) and feel a pang of anguish that i had forgotten about her and had been neglecting her, it was awful. I had been very attached to millie. BUT i have had a mare put down last year and have never dreamt of her in that respect

dorito

Visit site
Yes I have a recurring dream about my mare who I had PTS 11 years ago.
It's usually along the lines of it being bad weather and for some reason there's no stable to put her in (or just a horrible dark dirty corner of a barn!) It's never the 'real life' yard.
Have probably dreamed about her 5 or 6 times but the last one was lovely for once, in that dream I was riding her again.

fburton

Visit site
I once had a nightmare about looking after friends' cats while they were away on holiday, completely forgetting about it until the day before they were due to return, and then, in total panic, going into the room where they were living to discover a number of semi-dessicated bodies. :eek3: I tried to rehydrate/revive them by soaking them in a washing up bowl full of water - but knowing that it was too late and I would rightly be blamed for their demise because of my negligence.

Analyze that!

ETS: I also had a dream about a beloved horse that appeared to me in a dream as a foal (which I had never met).

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Not so much a dream but a sheer panicky moment when I get home and think that i have forgotten to check and feed my ferrets, it makes me fell bad until I remember the last one died 4 years ago. Its our minds playing horrid tricks on us.
Its horrid having any animal put to sleep, I have just lost my dog, I am sure it plays on the mind , even although we have done the right thing for them we still feel guilty.

huskydamage

Visit site
It is probably nothing to do with your horse but symbolic of something you are worried about.
My horse is still alive but I kept having a reoccurring dream where I would take her rug off and she had some infection on her skin, I would try to clean it etc then the next day she would be covered in sores and literally rotting away. It was horrible, sometimes a a lorry from a quarantine place would come and take her away and she would be going nuts in it and trying to smash out.I kept waking up sweaty and crying.

At the time I had other problems in my life and as soon as I resolved these the dream stopped. I think it was about fear of losing control as my horse symbolises happiness in my life and in the dream I was powerless to stop her 'rotting away'.

Maybe if there is some issue/trouble in your life try to take steps to resolve and the nightmare will probably go.

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
I used have dreams about an Irish Draught mare I sold to Ireland 8 years ago. Kept dreaming she was on a livery yard and I wasn't going up to check and care for her, also I owed the yard owner lots of livery. Really strange as I have my own place so don't pay livery and I'm up twice a day to do my current horses.

Cobbytype

Visit site
I have a recurring dream about my little Jack Russell 'Sophie' who died 12 years ago. In the dream she's wandering around and I'm looking at her thinking 'oh I must remember to give her a drink; it must be 2 weeks since she's had a drink, but she doesn't look bad considering my neglect'. I then wander off and forget to get the bowl of water, only to panic some time later and wonder if she's still alive or has died of dehydration. It's horrible because when she was alive, she wanted for nothing and was the apple of my eye. When she died I couldn't put her water bowl away, so changed the water daily for several weeks before eventually putting it in the cupboard - I guess the dream stems from that.

I had a very vivid dream once about my first horse, who was quite a naughty. He wasn't a horse in the dream, he was a beautiful young man with lots of blonde curls. I asked him why he'd been so naughty and he said "That's just the way I am, that's my personality". He'd gone before I had chance to ask him anything else.

Noodles_3

Visit site
I even have dreams / nightmares about my pet hamster I had as a child who died in 2000! I dream I go back to my old house and it's empty except for his hamster cage and I approach it slowly wondering if he's still going to be alive after not seeing him for all those years. It's quite freaky!

philamena

Visit site
I have exactly that dream. That I've forgotten I own her and find her at the yard all neglected. Awful. I think it's a classic anxiety / guilt dream. Funny how it's the animals that get us. Not ling after my brother was suddenly killed, young, I had a dream that I found him hiding down the back of the sofa like an old penny and he thought it was a funny joke but I said to him "Mum and Dad ate going to be steaming about this!" It was genuinely funny and I remember being quite comforted that it was so daft. But the horse neglect one, I thought that was only me so glad to hear it's not!

Deltaflyer

Visit site
I often dream that I still have my old pony who I owned for over twenty years. Obviously I still miss her like crazy even though I adore my current boy to pieces. I also dream about my last horse - Ronan - and often it's dreams that he's still at the yard where I used to keep him and I haven't been to see him for ages and I'm panicking because I can't remember if I've been paying his livery during this time. Oddly enough I never dream about Kaz who I only had for two years and she had to be PTS sleep when she was only nine and I was devastated as she was such a kind horse and too young to go.

I had a dream the other night about my current chap that we found a 'secret' cross country schooling setup hidden away on the land where I keep him and we were jumping the most scary jumps with utmost confidence. I think that must be wishful thinking LOL

Reacher

Visit site
I also used to have similar dreams about my 2 old horses, both when they were alive and after they were PTS. My OH said it meant I loved them. I too wish I could have dreams where I was riding them and having fun.