Weird one-ebay seller

Shadow the Reindeer

Visit site
If you failed to ask for the gates back, then there's not a great deal you can do, just put it in the "I must remember this for the next time I need it done" section, and write it off as experience.
You can't expect to get a discount next time, it's your mistake after all, they're only doing their job.

siennamum

Visit site
I would be really peed off tbh. The items are your property unless the contractor asks to have them, or you ask the contractor to take them, to my mind. I would mention it, I would ask next time that the money made from sales like this be itemised on the bill and clearly deducted from the final amount.

Nicnac

Visit site
I would be really peed off tbh. The items are your property unless the contractor asks to have them, or you ask the contractor to take them, to my mind. I would mention it, I would ask next time that the money made from sales like this be itemised on the bill and clearly deducted from the final amount.

Think you need to read previous responses - the job would have been quoted to include the money that garage could claw back on the resale of the gates.

If a person goes to a garage to scrap a car and garage offers £400 and it is accepted; would it be acceptable to trawl the internet looking for 'proof' of how much the broken up scrapped car parts are selling for and then asking for more than £400? No. So don't see how OP's question is any different.

Coop

Visit site
Gingerwitch can you quote me on a bulb?! Only joking, I have not meant this to be taken so personally, I wish I had never posted, I was only half
joking about a discount in the first place, I think these things come across differently on paper!!

siennamum

Visit site
Think you need to read previous responses - the job would have been quoted to include the money that garage could claw back on the resale of the gates.

If a person goes to a garage to scrap a car and garage offers £400 and it is accepted; would it be acceptable to trawl the internet looking for 'proof' of how much the broken up scrapped car parts are selling for and then asking for more than £400? No. So don't see how OP's question is any different.

I don't think there is any comparison with scrapping a car. If the quote included revenue generated from recycling the parts removed from the lorry (although I don't think fixtures & fittings qualify as parts) then it should have been made clear at the outset.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
If the op wanted to profit from the old parts then they should have asked for them back. They didn't care about them until they thought someone else made some money out of them (which might have been factored into the quoted price for the work). I'm sure garages may sell on part worn tyres they remove from customers vehicles too, equally fine and the customer could have them back and sell them if they wanted too.

Btw the poster who said builder who takes your stuff and then fly tips it is the one who is responsible and gets done is probably true in practice in a lot of cases but isn't legally right unless the homeowner can produce the paper proof they were given that the builder was a licensed waste carrier - otherwise they can, and do, get fined as well if stuff is IDd as coming from their property.

OP if you were happy with the work and happy with the job price, be happy yourself and for the garage too.

melbiswas

Visit site
Think some have been a little harsh on GW.

It is interesting to hear an opinion coming from someone knowing a garage's point of view and who may have some experience of similar situations / how the garage might respond to such approaches.

I know someone who works in a garage who has come across a few messers! It must get very annoying. I am sure it wouldn't take much to think " here we go - another one".

Hopefully all avoided.

Have fun in the snow !

Natch

Visit site
I think it's just a case of you didn't realise there was value in the old parts that at the time you were quite happy to let them dispose of. That would smart me too, but you will know for next time, and I think if you were happy to let them take them, then they become their property to dispose of/use as they see fit and it would be unfair of you to ask for a discount on further work based on this, as it's a done deal.

Coop

Visit site
I said on page one I agreed with this, please read my responses, I really am sorry and beginning to wonder why I even posted, I have made up with gw who is hopefully quoting for my bulbs asap. :)

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Coop - no worries - what type of bulbs do you want, do you want them fitting, do you want your old ones back, do you want me to dispose of them if not or put them in a box and hide em in you truck so i dont have to pay for disposal?

:)

Coop

Visit site
Coop - no worries - what type of bulbs do you want, do you want them fitting, do you want your old ones back, do you want me to dispose of them if not or put them in a box and hide em in you truck so i dont have to pay for disposal?

:)

Sorry, just been having a second emotional breakdown, the first at seeing my old friends on Ebay and the second at the possibility YOU CHARGE FOR FITTING??!!!!!:p

This could get expensive! Do I get more of a discount if I ask before or after the work, and if I forget to ask for the old ones back you will look after them won't you?!! I need a headlamp and a side one, shall we say, £50 a piece?!!

The job I have next for my nice lorry man, who has done an excellent job on all the work I may add, again, and I have recommended him to 3 further customers of mine (I work in customer service which most of you will find hilarious) who have since been there, is to re-weld a partition that has dropped, he noticed it when it went back in and I quote 'would only take 5 minutes', and no I won't be asking for a discount, I may, however, with everyones permission ask if my old gates went to a nice home?!!!!!! :eek:

This would have been resolved soooooo quickly if someone had just said, yes, you are being silly! :D

angel7

Visit site
But Coop I don't think you are being silly.

Whats the harm in saying to the garage "Do you still have the gates that come off, I might need them for something else, actually I thought you would have put them in the lorry when I picked it up???"
Still polite and they know you'll give them more work, I would just act like I expected them back. Otherwise they may think you are a real soft touch. I certainly wouldn't be paying fon the partition to be fixed if they fitted it in the first place either.
PS I always ask to see what's come off whenever cars in garage so I can gauge how bad they were needing done.

justforfun

Visit site
As with most buisness's when you buy a new item, {washing machine, cooker, fridge} the old item is taken away by the new supplier, sometimes for free, sometimes they charge, with MOST white goods they are then always sold on to either a shop or scrap man.
So even though its anouying, its just part of the process with some buisness's.
At least you didnt have to pay for them to be disposed of and you got a good job on the new lorry.
Sometimes the time and effort it take to sell something on ebay simply isnt worth it :)

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Sorry, just been having a second emotional breakdown, the first at seeing my old friends on Ebay and the second at the possibility YOU CHARGE FOR FITTING??!!!!!:p

This could get expensive! Do I get more of a discount if I ask before or after the work, and if I forget to ask for the old ones back you will look after them won't you?!! I need a headlamp and a side one, shall we say, £50 a piece?!!

The job I have next for my nice lorry man, who has done an excellent job on all the work I may add, again, and I have recommended him to 3 further customers of mine (I work in customer service which most of you will find hilarious) who have since been there, is to re-weld a partition that has dropped, he noticed it when it went back in and I quote 'would only take 5 minutes', and no I won't be asking for a discount, I may, however, with everyones permission ask if my old gates went to a nice home?!!!!!! :eek:

This would have been resolved soooooo quickly if someone had just said, yes, you are being silly! :D

Now lets see - head light & side light - check - fitting them - check - disposing of the old ones - check - disposing of the card board box - check - added on incase you ask for a discount - check

Thats £1127.49 please :D:D:D:D