weird reaction to new saddle

confirmedponyaddict

Visit site
My mum picked up a saddle at reading carriage sales to try on my pony. She measured it and it is pretty much the same size as the one he is currently wearing, the only thing I would say is it looks a bit flat at the back and could do with some new flocking. We put it on and did the usual checks (I'm no expert but I know how to check a saddle for basic fit) and then thought I'd have a little sit and see how it rode. As I got on, before my bum even touched the saddle, he sagged in the middle and pulled a face as if I was suddenly too heavy! Tried once more and got the same reaction so left it and put his old one on. Now obviously the fit is wrong but it looked so promising before I sat on it! I've checked for a broken tree and it's fine, has anyone else tried a saddle that looked perfect until you sat on it?

StormyMoments

Visit site
God I dont know how many times! I had a dressage saddle fitted to my PRE and in theory it fitted really well but he went god awful in it! he hollowed constantly, took off in trot and canter and I had no end of issues with him rearing up in it. Got physio out, she said there were no issues, got the vet out he also said there were no issues. Started riding him bareback and he was an angel, lengthening his stride, stepping beneath himself and really working well. It took a long time before I finally found a saddle he would go in and now he is going in it he works lovely :)

Maybe the saddle was sitting on a pressure point? or has a twisted tree? or was pinching?

moana

Visit site
Horses are so much more sensitive to touch and feel than us mere humans. perhaps there is a lump or something that you did not notice. Remember a horse can feel a fly land. I would advise you have a saddler check the saddle over for you.

cptrayes

Visit site
Slide your hand up under the middle of the panel. Lots of saddles that look as if they fit beautifully actually bridge, and have more pressure at the front and back than at the middle.

I've seen several saddlers sell saddles without checking for bridging.

confirmedponyaddict

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I may persevere and get the saddler out to see if it can be altered to fit. I was a bit horrified at how dramatic his reaction was-he almost sat down bless him!

happyclappy

Visit site
i d agree with getting a saddle fitter to check it. don't want to hear you have landed on the round or that your pony has become sore. i like reading carriage sales, always so much of interest, sad i have not been for two years now.