Welcome Flagmount RID

Foxford

Visit site
I'd love to know if anyone met this stallion. I have a 2yo gelding of his and I've never been able to find a picture of him! From what I can gather he died in 2006, about the time my lad was born. The article I found didn't give any information about his death though.
frown.gif

A long shot I know, my next step will be to ask the Irish Horse Board if they have any pictures from his promotional material. Thanks!
smile.gif

Here is my boy, not sure if he looks like his dad or his mum for that matter!
tongue.gif

Finlay046.jpg

no_no_nanette

Visit site
Do you know what Welcome Flagmount's breeding is? I have a friend with a Flagmount Diamond gelding who does look a bit like your chap.
I managed to track down the sire of my RID mare through finding his owner listed on the IHR, www.irishsporthorse.com and then contacting him ... if Welcome Flagmount is only recently deceased, then he may still be listed. Alternatively, try the stud?

Good luck!

Foxford

Visit site
Yep, he was by Flagmount King. Although my lad does have Flagmount Diamond on his dams side, so well spotted!

I have trawled through that website, but haven't found anything other than a few statistics on him. I believe he was owned/competed by Gabriel Slattery at Castlelawn stud in Co. Mayo. I suppose I should contact them, I just thought they probably get loads of people asking for info all the time! Most breeders I've contacted in the past have never got back to me.

nijinsky

www.xaraymax.co.uk
Welcome Flagmount - Grade A SJ - ridden by Gabriel Slattery (IRE). He is a grey stallion. Born in 1996. Can't find any pictures but know I came across him somewhere as I have a mare by Flagmount King. Google Gabriel Slattery, there may be a picture of him riding Welcome Flagmount.

Failing that if you have a look on www.irishhorsefinder.com there is a contact number for Denis Phelan, owner of Flagmount King, he is a very nice guy, very helpful. I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.

I found Irish Horse Board very slow with their information and don't have a great search facility.

Hope that helps.

Foxford

Visit site
Gosh that's amazing! They have the same skewed blaze and spots! Thanks for all the info everyone, I've got a bit to go on now.
smile.gif

Foxford

Visit site
I FOUND HIM!!!

WelcomeFlagmount_001.jpg

What a stunning boy, no wonder his progeny do well in the show ring. My lad seems to have inherited a bit more bone from his mum but he has obviously taken after his dad.

MaverickMD

Visit site
Reading this post - I wondered if any one can find me a picture of the following stallions: -

Ghareeb - I believe at the Kiltealy Stud in Ireland
or
Saracen Hill - again standing in Ireland
or
Puissance - standing in Ireland

I cant find any info on them at all !

partypremier

Visit site
I know you posted ages ago but if you still are looking for info on "flaggie" I might be able to help.
He was one of the most loved, friendliest stallions I have ever come across. Very gentlemanlike to ride & handle. The photo on the internet was when he was 3 or 4. He developed into a gorgeous well proportioned dapple grey.
I have a 6 yr old by him very easy horse. I bought him from Gabe as a 4 year old in May 2006. I went back a month later & Flaggie had been killed the week before in a freak accident,
frown.gif

Fiona his groom was plaiting him up for a sj comp, a wall between them & The sauna. The horse spooked in the sauna & freakishly the wall collapsed on top of Fiona & Flaggie. He took the weight of the wall off crushing Fiona whilst she was pulled out, once she was free he collapsed & died.
I know it sounds like a movie but that was what happened, he is buried at the stud & it has taken a long time for everyone involved to come to terms with the loss of such a saint.
Gabe & his father have several youngsters by him, one a very promising stallion so hopefully the bloodline will continue.
Your boy looks in good proprtion as his sire.
Where did you get him & who is his dam??
I can give you Gabe's number if you want or his father's he tries to keep tabs on how well offspring are etc. But I will warn you they have very strong Irish accents that take a bit to understand.
crazy.gif

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Yep, he was by Flagmount King. Although my lad does have Flagmount Diamond on his dams side, so well spotted!

[/ QUOTE ]

Flagmount King and Flagmount Diamond were full brothers - so not too hard to spot the family resemblance!
grin.gif

Welcome Flagmount is not listed on the Irish 'Stallions Online' site although they do list deceased stallions. But he's listed under Flagmount King progeny as having gained 265 SJ points - owned by Gabriel Slattery Jnr. He's also listed on the UK site as sire of 3 horses registered here - all male - Lord of the Manor (2003), Ballymacauley (2003) and Welcome Rebel (2001) - I would guess these are all geldings as they're listed with an RID number - but no reference to them passing grading and they're not on the stallion list.

Visit site
Hello I have a Son of Welcome Flagmount, he's Chestnut. And exactly the same build to your horse. He's By Welcome Flagmount out of Bridge House Pride.
His Registered name is Ballymacauley (but just found out it was supposed to be Flagmount Pride And Joy)
041.jpg

Irishlife

Visit site
I knew Welcome Flagmount and he was a real loss when he died. He jumped Grand Prix, Grade A and represented Ireland at Lanaken. He was tragically killed and his groom injured when a wall collapsed on them.

He has left some super stallion sons who are yet to prove themselves being young but look out for Welcome Emperor and Rebel Flagmount they have his stamp and are good looking and ought to jump. Welcome Flagmount's stock is very popular as he was a draught horse that could perform.

His owners were shattered when he died and have a lovely memorial at the stud. I sent a wonderful black Welcome Flagmount sired horse to a friend in England, they are all lookers and good at what they do. They carry great back breeding too.

Irishlife

Visit site
My horse came over from ireland as a 4 yr old and was only gelded at 4 and he has sired some stock aparently. Sadly mine can't jump brilliantly lol and he's 7! What was his temperament like Irishlife?

All of the WF's I ever knew were clever, honest and kind and usually had looks and a jump. He was a gentleman too.

Foxford

Visit site
Wow, it's lovely to see some of his other progeny! Pride and Joy - your boy is stunning and his head and neck are so like my chap I did a double take.

Irishlife - yes it was a sad loss, I think he might have been one of the greats had he not been taken so young. I've had my eye on Rebel Flagmount as his breeding is almost identical to Finlays (Fin is out of a Huntingfield Rebel mare). Just in case I win the lottery and buy a broodmare!

I originally posted this 2 years ago, and since then I've backed my horse. He is an absolute pleasure in all ways. Horizontally laid back but he loves life and has a spark about him. I'm hoping the next 2 years will be as fun as the last 2! I'd have another by Welcome Flagmount a heart beat.

Last year in H&H there was an article about the LW show cob Hallmark, also by WF. He is doing incredibly well, and I think he's only 6.

Last edited:

rebel mountain

Visit site
welcome flagmount had another half brother by captain clover called welcome captain he had 415sjai points in 2008 and welcome flagmount himself had 250sjai points.does your fellow have much of a jump

Irishlife

Visit site
Welcome Captain was a very good looking horse and was sold to America.

Welcome Flagmount has another stallion offspring apart from Rebel Flagmount called Welcome Emperor, I saw him at a stallion parade on Monday. They are so "typey" of himself it is not true. I believe that Welcome Flagmount will be a "legacy" stallion albeit of the more modern type of draught.

The horse I sent to a friend in UK like Welcome Captain was a sporthorse by WF out of an Easy Lift mare whose dam went back to Ben Purple. Although this horse had a cross more blood, we were hoping to keep him as a stallion but he went and did a bit of work in UK instead and got duly gelded. He is called Welcome Purple Jake.

It is interesting how WF stealthily pops up in a lot of very good horses pedigrees. I am a great fan of him.

Foxford

Visit site
Very interesting Irishlife! I'd love to nip over to Cavan and pick up another by him, but I'm guessing his last crop of foals was small and they will be 3 now. Finlay is rising 4, and he appears to have a good jump (due to the fact he has escaped from the field on more than one occaison and his preferred route of exit is over hedges!!). Also we took him over poles during backing and my instructor who has been placed at Badminton reckons he will be quite careful. Fingers crossed we will be out competing next year and get WFs name out there.

Irishlife

Visit site
Oh good luck with him and as a previous poster said, the Slatterys who bred and stood him love to hear how his stock are doing so keep us posted and I live a few fields across from them as the crow flies so I can let them know he is flying the flag for WF.

Welcome Emperor is up for inspection next week at Cavan and hopefully if he passes that is two legacy stallions by WF.

lesley_84

New User
Visit site
My mare had a foal out of Welcome Flagmount in 2005, unfortunately I had to sell both mare and foal. I'm mad to find out how the foal (now a 5 yr old) turned out. He is now a black gelding, out of a ISH mare called Malibu Sue and as far as I know he was sold to the UK last year. If anyone has heard of a horse that matches this please let me know, would love to even see a photo of him, I bred him to keep and I hate to think what i'm missing out on with him.