Welcome to my nightmare. (sorry - long post)

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Levrier.

I think sometimes it is better not to give an opinion about things that you have no experience of.

Sully's hip and elbow dysplasia are managed conservatively with cold laser therapy and hydrotherapy. They have not stopped him living a fulfilled and happy life. (Even Fitzpatrick's offer conservative management with physio, hydrotherapy and laser treatment)

He has continued with his laser therapy but the effect of the steroids has meant he is currently too tired to have his hydrotherapy. He attends an Animal Rehab Clinic for his hydro and the vets for his laser treatment

The problem with his gut did not start a year ago and he is not receiving "speculative" treatments. He started Prednisolone on 18 January this year and on Metronidazole on 29 January. Please don't make ill informed judgements.

If you wish to learn then "Inflammatory Bowel Disease in dogs - Diagnosis & Therapy" Todd R Tams, DVM, DACVIM is a good place to start, it outlines the various protocols to treat the disease. He also wrote the Handbook of Small Animal Gastroenterology. He is an internationally renowned expect and Chief Medical Officer at VCA West Los Angeles Animal Hospital.

Another informative paper is
How I treat inflammatory bowel disease in dogs
Stanley L. Marks, BVSc, PhD, DACVIM (Internal Medicine, Oncology), DACVN University of California,
Davis, School of Veterinary Medicine, Davis, CA, USA
Professor of Small Animal Medicine

You are mistaken if you think I joined the forum to conduct a poll on whether Sully should be put to sleep, I can make that decision myself thank you. I was hoping for advice from somebody who had some experience of the disease.

If you have nothing useful to contribute perhaps it would be better to keep quiet.

Whoa there a minute. I read your OP within minutes of you posting and I have to say that from what you wrote, which was quite detailed, my immediate thought was that if this was my dog I would pts, no question about it.

This is a forum, it is all about discussion, and the risk you take if you start a thread is that you will get a variety of opinions and responses. If you are looking for a particular response, then you have the choice of either not posting at all, or ignoring all the responses you don't like.

I do feel for you, you have had a terrible run of luck with your dogs, but the undercurrent I am seeing in a lot of the responses to this thread, and indeed the straight answers that some people have given you, is that many of us would in your shoes opt for pts.

Lev, and a lot of other people on here, have a lot of experience to share, which for most people is the beauty of this forum, which if you stick around you will find is an amazing resource and source of much support and comfort.

{97702}

Visit site
skinnydipper, you appear to have drawn a number of inaccurate conclusions from my post:

- I do have experience of this condition, as I have posted earlier in the thread. The fact you replied to my post suggests that you did read it, so I am at a loss to understand why you are now claiming I have no experience

- I was not referring to your dog when I made reference to a year of illness, this is the time period that Welshy said it took to stablise her dog

- I personally would not rate Fitzpatricks at all, so it amuses me that you use them as a source!

- If you actually look through the replies on this thread, I am not the only one that has suggested you have Sully PTS. In fact there has only been one reply which suggested otherwise

Your arrogance quite frankly astounds me, as you have absolutely no idea of what experience I have in any sphere of life including dog ownership but you seem to feel you are qualified to dismiss my opinion out of hand because it does not match with what you would like to do with your dog. Please go and attempt to patronise someone else, and I shall continue to feel desperately sorry for every dog owned by someone who cannot make the right decision in the circumstance

skinnydipper

Visit site
Levrier. I apologise if I misunderstood your post. I thought you were advising that euthanasia was the best option for Sully at this time, I don't agree.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Rowreach

Thank you for your advice. I am a complete forum novice and obviously have a lot to learn, including forum etiquette.

I was very upset at the calls to put him to sleep and the suggestion I was not making the right decision for Sully. I hope I would never presume to advise someone to put their dog to sleep, contrary to veterinary advice. Though I might agree with someone that it would be the best course of action if they were undecided.

I hope I can come back and post about Sully's progress.

I have had a lot of dogs and have made some very tough decisions. It is easier when a dog is in pain with no hope of recovery, it is harder when the dog has a chance of recovery and a normal life again. I have had a dog with degenerative myelopathy and that was a very tough call as he was still a happy dog and in no pain at all and another in status epilepticus with little chance of recovery. On the other hand I have had 5 dogs with cancer, this was operated where appropriate and a course of radiotherapy when appropriate (a 360 mile round trip each time). There have been 3 occasions with a cancer diagnosis when any kind of op or treatment would not have been appropriate. Chloe, who was put to sleep in December, had a grade 3 mast cell removed 3 years ago, I was advised against chemo as it was such an aggressive and malignant cancer, although it did eventually return she lived 3 years happy and pain free, when it returned it was deemed unoperable. I have never kept a dog alive for my benefit - no matter how much I loved them and I have loved them all. I have also had a dog with SLE and that is a horrific disease, he was my heart dog. I am sure there are many that would have put Annie to sleep, she had grand mal epilepsy which was controlled to some extent with medication and I gave her rectal diazepam for prolonged fits. She lived a very happy and fulfilled life between episodes for many years.

I feel I too have a lot to offer this forum.

I have given a home to many dogs (all except one were other people's rejects), with various behavioural problems and health issues, including a dog who was born deaf and spent her first year in rescue and 2 other dogs who had never been in a home environment and the challenges that brings. My English Bull Terrier x had been returned to rescue 4 times before coming to me.

All my dogs, and I had 8 at once for many years, lived in the house, not in kennels or crated and there was no fighting or squabbles. It was a very happy home with very happy dogs. I took them all out together for off leash walks, they were walked every day, rain or shine with at least one 1 hour walk each day.

I have always put my dogs first and foremost.

I will take your advice and ignore all the responses that I do not like.

{97702}

Visit site
Levrier. I apologise if I misunderstood your post. I thought you were advising that euthanasia was the best option for Sully at this time, I don't agree.

It appears you haven’t actually read my post. Of course I am saying that euthanasia is the best option for Sully at this time. EVERYONE who has replied to this thread, with one exception, has said the same.

It is clear that you don’t want to hear that so I will not bother replying to you again. Your poor dog.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
OP I have nothing useful to add - not knowing anything about the conditions you are managing. I just didn't want to read and run. So sorry you are both in this situation and I hope that Sully responds to treatment soon. From my point of view if the treating vet who knows the dog well is happy with the management plan then I can't see that anyone at arms length has the right to judge your decision to follow that plan. Healing vibes and strength to you. X

skinnydipper

Visit site
Thank you Ambers Echo.

In fact Sully is a lot brighter today. He has been bringing his toys to me to play, repeatedly bringing his ball for me to throw and posting his toys out of the dog flap for me to retrieve :) We have just got back from our evening walk and he is now trying to engage Milly the cat in play. If he is happy then I am happy.

Clodagh

Visit site
Thank you Ambers Echo.

In fact Sully is a lot brighter today. He has been bringing his toys to me to play, repeatedly bringing his ball for me to throw and posting his toys out of the dog flap for me to retrieve :) We have just got back from our evening walk and he is now trying to engage Milly the cat in play. If he is happy then I am happy.

Rather different to your original post?
...Now his quality of life is very poor, constantly panting, too lethargic to walk never mind play, constantly drinking and peeing. Gone are the hour long walks, more like 5 minutes....
Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...ghtmare-(sorry-long-post)#oo7RCX210HuQKsAM.99

skinnydipper

Visit site
What a difference a day makes.

The quote above referred to the side effects associated with the high dose steroids and not his actual disease. Hopefully they will continue to decrease as his dose decreases. Our walk was very short, just down the road and back and I was only throwing his ball in the house, but the fact that he was interested in play and seems brighter in himself I found to be very encouraging. I know "one swallow does not make a summer" but I hope the improvement today is a sign of things to come.

Thank you for your continued interest Clodagh!

budatiger

Visit site
I'm sorry to read of your poor dogs illness. My rescue greyhound had a bout of suspected IBD. She was thought to have damage caused by worms and an infected agent. Anyway, she was on high dose steroids for a while & the Purina HA. She did very well. Diet was so rigid for a good 6 months to enable her gut to calm down, and then we were able to introduce oily fish etc. without issues. She eventually went raw and thrived on it.
As someone who has to take massive doses of steroids intermittently for auto immune disease flares, they make you feel utterly rotten. I can only assume it may be similar for dogs.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Thank you for sharing your experience both with your dog and from a personal perspective.

A week ago yesterday the vet described him as flat and then a few days later I could see his old self shining through which was encouraging - though he is up and down in this respect.

I am in constant communication with his vet and she sees him regularly. Yesterday she added tramadol to his regime, I know the panting is a side effect of the Prednidale and he is already taking Buscopan for the abdominal cramps but I just wanted to make sure he was not in any pain or discomfort.

Following Welshy's experience with Purina HA I ordered some for Sully, he has just started it, so it was good to hear your positive experience with it. Previously I was just feeding the things he had tested negative to but he may get a better response with the HA.

He is very special to me and I love him very much. (I know we all feel the same about our pets). He has the heart of a lion and I just need the courage to see this through. I find it easier to cope with my own health problems than seeing Sully poorly.

I thank you and Welshy for sharing your experience and information. I would also like to thank those who contacted me via private messaging. I have received a wealth of information and support and I very much appreciate it.

I wish you good health and hope your own disease remains in remission.

Lintel

Visit site
Didn't want to read and run. I'm so sorry though OP you'll know when the time is right though.
Thoughts and prayers are with you x