Well he's all moved in . . .

PolarSkye

Visit site
I must say that was the fastest yard move EVER! Went to view the yard on Wednesday, signed paperwork on Thursday, moved on Saturday!

I went up to (now) old yard yesterday and brought home my rug trunk and as many other rugs/bits and bobs as I could. This morning I was up there early to empty my locker, give Kal a good groom and get him ready to go . . . thermatex, brushing boots, overreach boots and tail guard in case anyone's interested ;). My friends arrived with the lorry at 11.15 - by 11.30 Kal was loaded and munching his haylage, the rest of his stuff was in the lorry and we were on our way!

He travelled beautifully and didn't even sweat up (a first!). Stepped down the ramp politely and stood like a good'un while we changed his rug. Walked calmly down to the field, said hello to his old friends (he knows four of the horses at this yard) and then put his head down to eat. I know he rolled because his face and the top of his rug are filthy - so he must have felt happy and relaxed.

My friends and I had a celebratory hot chocolate and shortbread and then it took me THREE HOURS to get our feed bay set up, put all of his stuff away, make up his bed, etc. Not sure why . . . I wasn't exactly dawdling. I did go up to the field at one point to check that he wasn't too warm in his rug and take all of his boots off - he was soooo chilled. By about 3.30 he was standing at the fence, looking for me and calling so I went to fetch him in (to be fair he was out from 4 p.m. yesterday until about 9 a.m. this morning as well so he was probably tired). Took him for a mooch around the school in hand and then put him in bed to eat his tea. He did turn into a firebreathing monster, but I changed his rugs, gave him a scratch and left him to it. My friend S said she would look in on him before she left . . . once the other two horses on his aisle (next to him and across from him) are in and settled and the yard is quiet I'm sure he'll calm down. I'll go up early tomorrow to give him breakfast and then I'll long line him in the school and turn him out with his new friends.

It really is a lovely yard . . . everyone has been super friendly and helpful already. Aside from the people I already know from previous yards (five of them!), I've already had two offers to go out hacking. I left them cakes and biscuits in the kitchen as a moving in present - hopefully that will make a good impression ;).

All in all a good day . . . but emotionally very hard to leave where we were . . . all my friends are there, it's a lovely place - I just can't afford it (and I've realized I'm not a fan of full livery). I am, though, very, very tired - I haven't picked up a wheelbarrow, pitchfork or broom since July! Tomorrow morning will be a shock to the system ;).

P

Chestnutmare

Visit site
Excellent glad all went well for you both.. sounds like he likes his new place too and to be back with his old pals :D happy days ahead.
You'll soon get used to the mucking out again, good for fitness ha ha :) :)

PolarSkye

Visit site
Excellent glad all went well for you both.. sounds like he likes his new place too and to be back with his old pals :D happy days ahead.
You'll soon get used to the mucking out again, good for fitness ha ha :) :)

Thanks. I spoke to a friend who is a fellow livery after I'd left and she said he was a bit looky but other than was tucking into his hay and seemed ok (knew he'd calm down once I had left) . . . long reining tomorrow . . . poor boy is in for quite a shock after 12 weeks R&R ;).

Me, I will be sooooooore but, as you say, good for fitness ;).

P