Well i have given in!

kateknights

Visit site
Tommy is an Irish cob 3yo. He has been naked all winter, He is in at night. I have just got him in and have given in and put a lw rug on him. He is not up to as much weight as i would like him to be! Don't get me wrong, he is by no means skinny, but i think he maybe using all his excess weight to keep warm in these extreme conditions. What do you think?
Have i done the right thing???
Kate x

KingCharles

Visit site
if he is dropping weightm despite getting adlib hay in the field and has good shelter, then yes i would of done the same Just becasue a horse can live out naked it dosnt mean it has to.

agreenhalgh

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
if he is dropping weightm despite getting adlib hay in the field and has good shelter, then yes i would of done the same Just becasue a horse can live out naked it dosnt mean it has to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly this. Its getting v.v. cold out there now, its not a typical winter we are used to!

eggs

Visit site
I do think a horse in a stable is less able to keep warm than one that can move around in the field. Also, even with over 20 cm of snow the horses are digging through and finding grass to eat which is also keeping them warm.

One of my usually naked horses in currently in with a bruised foot and having checked her ears last night she has got a rug on.

cariadssogreat

Visit site
Kate1 - you have done the same as me ( only I got slated on here the other day for it!)

There is no let up in the weather atm - and therefore its not just a case of being chilly for one night anymore.

I would say you have done the right thing - there is still a fair way to go to get through this winter - and it would be awful to have them drop condition this early

ISHmad

Visit site
You've done what you feel is right for your horse. You know him better than anyone else and you see him every day. So don't give him having a rug on a second thought. They can't move around at night to keep warm like they can outdoors, I'm not surprised he needs one on these sub zero nights.

D

Donkeymad

You have done what is right for your horse, and it is nobody elses business.
smile.gif

Chex

Visit site
Not wanting to be the one to disagree
blush.gif
but I always imagine they're warmer with their own fluffed up coat than with a lw squashing the fur down. Now whether thats true or not I have no idea
tongue.gif

traceyx69

i.imgur.com
you will need to keep checking him under the rug - when they are not used to wearing one they can sweat which would mean he was wet and colder then before! I usually feel around the girth and flank area to be sure
wink.gif