Well our luck had to turn worse eventually - Keysoe BE100

BeckyD

Visit site
Before I start my report, I just have to share this glorious photo:

http://www.everybodysmile.biz/cgi-bin/public.cgi?form_status=order_image&event_id=187738&img=dlsu9397d{654-BALLYDUFF BILL Rebecca Kilby.jpg&anc=p426_0004_es&ss=4&imgcat=654-BALLYDUFF BILL Rebecca Kilby

He might be a bit "special" at times but that picture just shows what a super chap he is.

Anyway! On with my report:

Fresh off the back of our near-placing at Aston le Walls with a 25.5 dressage, pole down SJ and a few XC time faults, I was feeling waaaay too confident about Keysoe. I’ve been working hard on our XC speed at home and bless him Bill was rising to the challenge and surprised us both with how quick he was and how careful he was jumping at speed. I thought Keysoe might be it – the time we get placed. Alternatively I could fall off in the SJ as I have never yet SJ’d in that arena at Keysoe without falling off (bogey venue – fell off the first 6 times there – 4 times in the SJ ring!)! I wasn’t worried about the XC as it was lots of skinnies off turns – playing right to Bill’s strengths – he needs to be challenged then he goes up a gear and really operates.

Ohhhhhhhh how wrong could I be :p

The moment he threatened to buck me off when I put my leg on in the dressage warmup, I thought “Houston we have a problem”. Did a test that we could have done with more energy if I had carried HIM round. 37.5 was fair really. The video does make me want to take a lunge whip to him ;)

[youtube]YxixL7La4rk[/youtube]

The SJ warmup fences were huge (all max height on the wings for BE100) and my OH doesn’t do changing them for me, so I just had to get on with it. Bill seemed a bit surprised and had to get himself out of trouble over the first oxer but that did him the world of good as he was really locking on after that. He was giving everything plenty of air so I felt very confident going into the ring! Doh.

Bearing in mind Bill has never been the same twice to SJ, and that I’m neither the most capable nor experienced rider, our SJ rounds can be somewhat entertaining. For a moment he went into “feral pony” mode that he did at Carlton and I thought “Aha! I’ve got you as I know how to ride this Bill” (quietly) but it seems I went too quietly as before I knew it we were spooking, ducking and diving our way to the first fence, and grinding to a halt some way in front of it. Sigh. Bang go my hopes of our first BE clear at SJ (don’t ask me why, but he can jump clear at BS and unaff 1m ODEs but not BE!).

Soooooo, I rode again at fence 1 with more conviction and made it all the way round to the double where he wobbled again but jumped it, tapping the first part down. Finished with 3 time faults to add to 8 jumping faults. Sigh again. But at least I didn’t fall off!!

[youtube]1YuDaPLEoqU[/youtube]

I got Bill ready for XC and set off determinedly for XC warmup where Holidays_are_coming was the best XC collecting ring steward ever :p. I ran through my repertoire of exercises to get Bill back on his hocks but not a single one was working; instead he was choosing to nosedive over all the jumps. At this point I thought our numbers were up as he hit a small fence full whack with his front legs and we SO nearly tipped up. I bashed my hand on his neck (and fractured a finger?!) and gave him a kick and a wallop and brought him immediately round to the biggest warmup fence which thankfully he jumped nicely.

Sooooo, off we set over fence 1, all good, then onto 2, got a super jump over that, cantered on to fence 3, out of our stride and then he chipped in at 4 for absolutely no reason, and clouted it. Again I gave him a kick and smack and lost concentration so failed to get on my line for fence 5. Too late I swerved right to get in line for it but Bill didn’t have time to acclimatise himself to the flowers on top and ducked out, doing a 180 and tipping me over his shoulder. He’s not the sort to hang around when spooked so he galloped home. There was no point trying again as he wasn’t up for it at all, so I called it a day. So that stop was my fault really.

Bill seemed fine and none the worse for it, so I iced his legs, washed off and got him comfy, and headed home. Got back to yard, all fine. Hosed his legs as usual, all OK. Sorted lorry out and got kit tidied away and went back to arnica and witch hazel his legs, and hey presto we had a fat left foreleg (puffy but not hot). Emergency call to vets followed by cold hosing and pressure bandage and bute. Vet coming out to scan on Friday. Looks like giant windgall so fingers crossed that's all it is.

No Blenheim RC Eventer challenge for us (sob) next week.

I learnt several very valuable lessons though, and am itching to correct my errors:

• In my desperation to make the time, I quashed my gut instinct to take the long route instead of the corner (the route to get to the corner wasn’t great). I sacrificed completion.

• It is more disappointing to fall off at fence 5, than it is to complete the course slowly and with time faults.

• I need more practice SJ. I’m going to dedicate this winter to SJ (if he’s OK). Last winter I worked on dressage and he’s now happily/easily medium level at home and is correct in his training albeit he doesn’t naturally have a quick hind leg. We won’t get consistently good scores at dressage competitions until the day when I can keep him in front of my leg in every test and no amount of practice seems to fix that. One day it will happen. So for now I need to focus on SJ as consistently having one fence down is driving me totally insane.

• I love Bill and can’t bear to think of anything bad happening to him (injury) so perhaps I’m not cut out for eventing?

• Keysoe is still our bogey venue.

I really do think I’m pretty rubbish at this eventing lark. Has anyone else evented for 3 years with not even the sniff of a frilly?! :eek:

Last edited:

Gracie21

Visit site
I can't really offer any advice but I think you sound like you know what you're talking about and what you have to do :) If you enjoy it then carry on, it sounds to me as if you work super hard :) Sounds like he was having a bit of a clumsy/I can't be bothered day... Does he anticipate things and get anxious?

I hope his leg is okay! And I hope your finger is okay too?!

Wish I could do what you do, I don't have the guts any more!

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
Hi thanks I know Ive found my calling!!! Love that pic of Billbo!

Hey you have more chance of a frilly than I ever did, Keysoe is a venue I know well even at 90 I have schooled over the corners but in a comp I always take the alternative, it barely takes any extra time and the lines too them are not very nice, there are some lovely galloping streches so you can always make up time. You need to stop beating yourself up!

Eventing is risky but then so is everything that horses do turnout and hacking can cause injury!

claire_p2001

asdexploitvangroenhove.weebly.com
You deserve a frilly for all the hard work, blood, sweat and tears you have put in over the last 3 years I really feel for you and Bill isn't helping you one bit. He has the talent and so do you this is why it is so frustrating as you know deep down in there is a filly or even better a win if it can all come together. I can't over any constructive advice just keep trying and you will do it :) I hope he is ok maybe a short break will do you both good. Could you try hunting or hunter trialing over the winter as something a bit different? Good Luck

HotToTrot

Visit site
Hello! What an annoying day. I do think that Bill has improved so much, though. He used to refuse to go anywhere near the first fence! Your DR obviously can be amazing; look at your 25 at Aston. I don't think that taking the direct route at 5 was nec the wrong decision. At some point, you need to have a go, and risk it going wrong.

SJ poles are irritating and it is so so easy to have four faults in a round. If you're only getting four, that is fairly consistent.

Yes. I evented two horses for 6 yrs between 90 and Nov, and I only got three rosettes in the whole time, all at 90. It is seriously tough to get placed at BE!

Do you have any more events planned?

Trules

Visit site
Hi, I feel your pain. I think it is a given that as soon as you feel confident that you should have a good day, the law of sod will give you a big kick up the bum and say ' don't you get ahead of yourself'! I had exactly that experience this weekend, when following a few really good runs at Bold Heath & Somerford with dr 30/31, super clear fast xc's, (sj hit &miss), I went to Llanymynech feeling confident! how silly of me. I should have learnt by now to never feel confident! what I thought was a good dressage only scored me 36. so disappointed. sj warm up was hard, I thought i'd jump the parallel before I went in, but with hindsight I think that put her right off jumping on the ground. went into the ring, she stopped at the first! shock horror! she never stops! then proceeded to back off, chip in and generally crawl around the rest of the course. it was awful! talk about rythym, there was NONE. I daren't look at the pro photos. how we ended up on only 8 faults I don't know. it's a testament to the horse's honesty.
Xc, I only went because this is her best phase and she normally comes alive and flies. She didn't this time. we were clear inside the time, but it wasn't pretty and she wasn't her usual self at all.
I entirely blame the fact that I dared let the thought of 'maybe we should move up to Novice' enter my head.
it was Fate's way of telling me to get real! LoL.
It's a funny old game, addictive, yet impossible! I have never got a frilly either. unless you count a 7th!

dafthoss

Visit site
He is such a pain!

You did say before you went it would be a good day if you got through the show jumping. So on that note I'm saying your one step closer than you had hoped to be.

Fingers crossed he is ok and just being over dramatic and gets the all clear. Hope your finger is feeling better soon!

Gutting about Blenheim :( next year you will be there and raring to go.

Saints_fan88

Visit site
Sorry to not have seen you on Sunday! Well done on the first 2 phases & what a shame about the XC :-( you have to try the tricky lines sometimes don't beat yourself up!
If it makes you feel any better I had the exact same dressage problem, I really would've been better off carrying round the lazy little toad!! Oh & we never get placed either, can always guarantee I'll get one phase wrong!
Fingers crossed you're both on the mend soon! :)

Lolo

Visit site
Al did 3 years on Reg without a sj clear... And no frillies and no sub 40 dressage. The 4th year is clearly the turning year!

With bad days you've got to go "this was rubbish, this is why, and now I'm moving on"...

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Kick up the bum time ! I've seen you riding Bill over some bloody big jumps at MK and whilst giving a couple of baby horses leads. Maybe it was in the back of your mind that Keysoe isn't the luckiest venue for you (as yet) ? so you were already on the defensive. Your Dressage at Aston wasn't a fluke, you've done it before and you'll do it again. He's a smart clever horse, maybe a bit to smart for his own good ;) who certainly has the ability but just doesn't help you as much as he could considering how well you ride.

Put your laptop on, fill a big glass with wine and watch back the good videos to remind yourselves how far you've come. I've got quite a few video's (including Sundays SJ) that I still can't watch without cringing but it makes me realise how far I've progressed in a year, you tend to forget when you're comparing your last event with the one a few weeks before.

Can you Hunt him once his leg is better ? Nothing like a good few days out over the winter to give him a new perspective on life and make him think for himself rather than against you.

Anyway that's my sermon over and what a cracking picture :biggrin3:

BeckyD

Visit site
I can't really offer any advice but I think you sound like you know what you're talking about and what you have to do :) If you enjoy it then carry on, it sounds to me as if you work super hard :) Sounds like he was having a bit of a clumsy/I can't be bothered day... Does he anticipate things and get anxious?

I hope his leg is okay! And I hope your finger is okay too?!

Wish I could do what you do, I don't have the guts any more!

Haha yes he was having a grouchy day for sure. Will get vet to check him over as he kept wee-ing, unlike him (doesn't like to get his manly parts out in public). My finger is fine (just sore if over-used) so fingers crossed his leg will be fine too!

Thank you :)

Hi thanks I know Ive found my calling!!! Love that pic of Billbo!

Hey you have more chance of a frilly than I ever did, Keysoe is a venue I know well even at 90 I have schooled over the corners but in a comp I always take the alternative, it barely takes any extra time and the lines too them are not very nice, there are some lovely galloping streches so you can always make up time. You need to stop beating yourself up!

Eventing is risky but then so is everything that horses do turnout and hacking can cause injury!

Yes I walked the long route as it wasn't much longer. Vanity made me take the short route! Doh!

Good point ;)

You deserve a frilly for all the hard work, blood, sweat and tears you have put in over the last 3 years I really feel for you and Bill isn't helping you one bit. He has the talent and so do you this is why it is so frustrating as you know deep down in there is a filly or even better a win if it can all come together. I can't over any constructive advice just keep trying and you will do it :) I hope he is ok maybe a short break will do you both good. Could you try hunting or hunter trialing over the winter as something a bit different? Good Luck

Hehe so many people have said that re Bill not helping me out. In a way it's good as its making me a better rider. But sometimes I think "if only you could be a smidge more generous!". But I'm lucky with him in other ways so rough with the smooth and all that!

I do plan to hunt him. Watch out Oakley goers - chestnut bouncy tigger coming through!!

Hello! What an annoying day. I do think that Bill has improved so much, though. He used to refuse to go anywhere near the first fence! Your DR obviously can be amazing; look at your 25 at Aston. I don't think that taking the direct route at 5 was nec the wrong decision. At some point, you need to have a go, and risk it going wrong.

SJ poles are irritating and it is so so easy to have four faults in a round. If you're only getting four, that is fairly consistent.

Yes. I evented two horses for 6 yrs between 90 and Nov, and I only got three rosettes in the whole time, all at 90. It is seriously tough to get placed at BE!

Do you have any more events planned?

True - I have never yet taken a long route though at BE100, we always go direct, but I saw the line to that corner and metaphorically scratched my head. Still, it's a useful test of training as we need to do more work with spooky objects like flowers.

Ok I don't feel so bad then, it just seems like everyone else is getting rosettes but clearly they aren't!!

Next was supposed to be the BE100+ at Little Downham. If Bill gets the all clear from the vet I will speak to my trainers about whether that's still a good idea or not. Might need a 90 run (but there's a few hunter trials before then locally that I can do a 90 run at). Must say he is SO much easier to ride at bigger fences though.

Will reply to rest later (thank you - off to Burghley!).

Firewell

Visit site
I think you are doing really well! Don't be so hard on yourself. Bill is totally gorgeous but he doesn't sound easy at all and I admire all the hard work you have put in. It must be demoralising feeling like you are getting somewhere and then have him spook and be backwards again but like you said that's him. You'll be an amazing rider after Bill and when you do get that frilly it will be worth more than any other frilly in the world ever and it will be all because of you.. not your horse (as he could if he wanted win it standing on his head). It will mean much more to achieve it on Bill than some horse that will take any man or his dog round clear.

timetoride

Visit site
Another possibilty could be that his leg was not quite right before the event then was just made visible by the xc? Could explain him not feeling his usual self? Not blaming you at all for running of course- you couldn't see anything and if we all stopped as soon as our horses went a little bit different to normal at shows I think everyone would withdraw! ;) but could it explain the lack of usual energy?

BeckyD

Visit site
Hi, I feel your pain. I think it is a given that as soon as you feel confident that you should have a good day, the law of sod will give you a big kick up the bum and say ' don't you get ahead of yourself'! I had exactly that experience this weekend, when following a few really good runs at Bold Heath & Somerford with dr 30/31, super clear fast xc's, (sj hit &miss), I went to Llanymynech feeling confident! how silly of me. I should have learnt by now to never feel confident! what I thought was a good dressage only scored me 36. so disappointed. sj warm up was hard, I thought i'd jump the parallel before I went in, but with hindsight I think that put her right off jumping on the ground. went into the ring, she stopped at the first! shock horror! she never stops! then proceeded to back off, chip in and generally crawl around the rest of the course. it was awful! talk about rythym, there was NONE. I daren't look at the pro photos. how we ended up on only 8 faults I don't know. it's a testament to the horse's honesty.
Xc, I only went because this is her best phase and she normally comes alive and flies. She didn't this time. we were clear inside the time, but it wasn't pretty and she wasn't her usual self at all.
I entirely blame the fact that I dared let the thought of 'maybe we should move up to Novice' enter my head.
it was Fate's way of telling me to get real! LoL.
It's a funny old game, addictive, yet impossible! I have never got a frilly either. unless you count a 7th!

I think 7th counts, if you got a rosette! :)

Sorry you had a rubbish day too. Funny how it goes like that and it really does seem to be when you start thinking a bit more positively. Weird.

Oh well, think we've both learnt not to get ahead of ourselves now ;) What's your next run? Good luck!

He is such a pain!

You did say before you went it would be a good day if you got through the show jumping. So on that note I'm saying your one step closer than you had hoped to be.

Fingers crossed he is ok and just being over dramatic and gets the all clear. Hope your finger is feeling better soon!

Gutting about Blenheim :( next year you will be there and raring to go.

Haha he is a real pain isn't he?! I was very pleased about not falling off in the SJ. Must admit when he stopped at the first I was gobsmacked and worried that it was going to be a re-run of my numerous falls in there. But Bill remembered his job just in time!

Fingers crossed re leg - it's back to normal now so am keeping everything crossed. Finger fine, just a bit achy. :)

Blenheim 2014 it is!

Sorry to not have seen you on Sunday! Well done on the first 2 phases & what a shame about the XC :-( you have to try the tricky lines sometimes don't beat yourself up!
If it makes you feel any better I had the exact same dressage problem, I really would've been better off carrying round the lazy little toad!! Oh & we never get placed either, can always guarantee I'll get one phase wrong!
Fingers crossed you're both on the mend soon! :)

Yes sorry we missed each other!! Must have been "one of those days" on the dressage front. Our two do tend to do similar tests on each outing?!

Fingers crossed we will both get placed soon!

Al did 3 years on Reg without a sj clear... And no frillies and no sub 40 dressage. The 4th year is clearly the turning year!

With bad days you've got to go "this was rubbish, this is why, and now I'm moving on"...

Ok glad Im not the only one! But they have been going great guns this year so fingers crossed!!

Kick up the bum time ! I've seen you riding Bill over some bloody big jumps at MK and whilst giving a couple of baby horses leads. Maybe it was in the back of your mind that Keysoe isn't the luckiest venue for you (as yet) ? so you were already on the defensive. Your Dressage at Aston wasn't a fluke, you've done it before and you'll do it again. He's a smart clever horse, maybe a bit to smart for his own good ;) who certainly has the ability but just doesn't help you as much as he could considering how well you ride.

Put your laptop on, fill a big glass with wine and watch back the good videos to remind yourselves how far you've come. I've got quite a few video's (including Sundays SJ) that I still can't watch without cringing but it makes me realise how far I've progressed in a year, you tend to forget when you're comparing your last event with the one a few weeks before.

Can you Hunt him once his leg is better ? Nothing like a good few days out over the winter to give him a new perspective on life and make him think for himself rather than against you.

Anyway that's my sermon over and what a cracking picture :biggrin3:

Haha thank you! I'm actually OK about Sunday. I accept it was my mistake for riding such s dodgy line, and am much happier it being my mistake as I feel I can do something about that...one day!

Glass of wine to hand. :D

I will take him hunting this year. He was well-hunted when I bought him. So should be fun! Will do me the world of good for lightening up as well ;)

BeckyD

Visit site
I think you are doing really well! Don't be so hard on yourself. Bill is totally gorgeous but he doesn't sound easy at all and I admire all the hard work you have put in. It must be demoralising feeling like you are getting somewhere and then have him spook and be backwards again but like you said that's him. You'll be an amazing rider after Bill and when you do get that frilly it will be worth more than any other frilly in the world ever and it will be all because of you.. not your horse (as he could if he wanted win it standing on his head). It will mean much more to achieve it on Bill than some horse that will take any man or his dog round clear.

Aww thank you. He is a silly old sausage, lacks self-motivation shall we say? ALW was a taste of things going right and I just let my expectations get a big too high. Thank you, hopefully I can put a more successful report before long (assuming vet visit goes ok tomorrow).

Another possibilty could be that his leg was not quite right before the event then was just made visible by the xc? Could explain him not feeling his usual self? Not blaming you at all for running of course- you couldn't see anything and if we all stopped as soon as our horses went a little bit different to normal at shows I think everyone would withdraw! ;) but could it explain the lack of usual energy?

Could be the leg but I suspect it's more likely to be his pollen allergy ramping up again. Him and I were both suffering a bit in the week leading up to it. He was also weeing one heck of a lot so vet is going to check him over for that tomorrow. Could be a bladder infection or something (in which case he did bl**dy well to jump at all!!!!!).

Poor Billybobs!