Well she's grown...

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I thought my little mare had grown a bit and so measured her and she's 15.1hh. I also think she's a bit bum high now - hope she doesn't stay that way. What do you think? After not growing much at all aged 3 (only one inch to 14.3), she then grew another inch age four and was 15hh at the end of the Autumn. Now after winter, she's 15.1hh. Would it be too much to hope for another inch? She'll be five in June and both parents are about 16hh.

Feb%202016_zpsslk2n1gc.jpg

Annagain

Visit site
Excellent news! If she's bum high now there's every chance you might get a bit more out of her. You've always said 15.1 would be manageable haven't you, so anything from now on will be a bonus!

Merrymoles

Visit site
Plenty of time yet to grow and you may well get a spring "spurt" when the grass comes through properly.

Always hard to tell from a picture, but she looks as though she may have a little "filling out" to do too as she muscles up for work.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Plenty of time to grow! They don't stop til they're 7! I'm sure she'll make up that extra inch in a couple of years :)

Plenty of time yet to grow and you may well get a spring "spurt" when the grass comes through properly.

Always hard to tell from a picture, but she looks as though she may have a little "filling out" to do too as she muscles up for work.

Excellent news! If she's bum high now there's every chance you might get a bit more out of her. You've always said 15.1 would be manageable haven't you, so anything from now on will be a bonus!

Thank you! Yes, I can work with 15.1 and she's quite deep so takes up the leg more than you'd think. She does have a lot of muscling up to do, especially around her frontend. She does look like her withers could come up a bit too. I'm hoping!

kerenza

Visit site
She's beautiful - what a lovely and unusual colour! - but definitely still looks on the immature side, and bum high from the photo. I'd be really surprised if she didn't grow at least another inch before she levels out. She has a kind eye and an intelligent expression - what is she like temperament-wise?

pippixox

Visit site
I got 2 newforests in spring- just turned 4 and skinny after wintering out in muddy field. by the end of the summer the 13'2 had grown out of all his 5ft rugs and can now fit 5'6! (a little bit lose but some 5'3 are too small) and the mare, who was written down at 14'2 is nearly as big as my 15'2 TB, just a lot narrower- give it another year and she will be 15'2 I recon.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
She's beautiful - what a lovely and unusual colour! - but definitely still looks on the immature side, and bum high from the photo. I'd be really surprised if she didn't grow at least another inch before she levels out. She has a kind eye and an intelligent expression - what is she like temperament-wise?

Thanks, she has the most amazing temperament and really, really brave and independent. Nine out of ten days she is so calm and easy, but then every ten days or so she has a mad half hour and is impossible! She's also very bossy (but not nasty) with other horses and has to be boss. I daren't put her and the older mare on the yard together because they are obviously both wanting to be boss. Colour-wise, she's a smoky brown or brown buckskin which is seal brown with one copy of the cream gene. She goes this colour in summer:

eating_zpsom1ikt9k.jpg

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I got 2 newforests in spring- just turned 4 and skinny after wintering out in muddy field. by the end of the summer the 13'2 had grown out of all his 5ft rugs and can now fit 5'6! (a little bit lose but some 5'3 are too small) and the mare, who was written down at 14'2 is nearly as big as my 15'2 TB, just a lot narrower- give it another year and she will be 15'2 I recon.

She has grown a lot but still looks very immature, I reckon 15.3

Oh wow, I hope so!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
My rising eight year old was 16-2 at six and is now 16-3 and every one keeps telling me he is growing again.....I'm ignoring :D don't want him to.grow any more!

Evie91

Visit site
Another one who thinks she'll grow a bit more! Definitely bum high in the pic (as others have already pointed out).
Do we get a prize if we guess her final height?! Although has the makings of being longest competiton in the world, judging by her age!!

atropa

Visit site
Ugh Wagtail I can't wait for more photos of this stunner in future, she is just gorgeous. Definitely looks like she'll go up another inch or two

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My rising eight year old was 16-2 at six and is now 16-3 and every one keeps telling me he is growing again.....I'm ignoring :D don't want him to.grow any more!

Blimey, that's a late growth spurt!

I think there's every chance she will make 15.3 she looks very bum high in the photo

That would be amazing if she did. Thank you.

Another one who thinks she'll grow a bit more! Definitely bum high in the pic (as others have already pointed out).
Do we get a prize if we guess her final height?! Although has the makings of being longest competiton in the world, judging by her age!!

Yes, I'd actually given up hope of her getting beyond 15hh.

Ugh Wagtail I can't wait for more photos of this stunner in future, she is just gorgeous. Definitely looks like she'll go up another inch or two

Thank you. Another photo from today, probably a bit straighter on actually. She doesn't look quite so bum high.

Feb%202016%20b_zpsv01sssvx.jpg

I think she'll def grow more - look at those long legs! She has such a kind face Wagtail, she's gorgeous :)

Thank you. She's a sweetie. I never thought I'd have a horse without any white.

JJS

Visit site
My gelding arrived, aged 6, in June 2014, and was 15.1hh on his tiptoes. When I measured him just before Christmas, he'd shot up to 16hh, so I'd say that she definitely has time for another inch or two!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My gelding arrived, aged 6, in June 2014, and was 15.1hh on his tiptoes. When I measured him just before Christmas, he'd shot up to 16hh, so I'd say that she definitely has time for another inch or two!

Heck that's a lot of growth after 6. I am definitely feeling a lot more positive. I hope you wanted him to grow as you wouldn't have expected it.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
She is very attractive and very immature. I would think there is growth to come yet.

Thank you. I had thought she was looking very mature last summer and was convinced she'd finished growing. But I agree, now she doesn't look so mature. I'm glad that I only very lightly backed her in September and will wait until her withers (hopefully) catch up with her back end before restarting her, I think.

Oh my! She is gorgeous. Looks like a bit more growing to come too!

Thank you. I hope so. :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have an 18 year old who was 14.2h and very croup-high when I bought her as a very immature three year old (guaranteed to grow, right?). She's still 14.2h and very croup-high....still waiting for that growth spurt! Have you tried the string test? That is pretty accurate, other than that it's in the lap of the gene-and-nutrition gods.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I have an 18 year old who was 14.2h and very croup-high when I bought her as a very immature three year old (guaranteed to grow, right?). She's still 14.2h and very croup-high....still waiting for that growth spurt! Have you tried the string test? That is pretty accurate, other than that it's in the lap of the gene-and-nutrition gods.

Yes, I think it came out at 15.1 1/2 when I did it age 3. She's never been bum high before. Always grown very slowly and level. My sister has a youngster that has stayed croup high (15.2 at the withers and 16hh at the croup).