Well, that didn't go according to plan :(

PolarSkye

Visit site
Let's just say that we didn't exactly cover ourselves in glory today :(. But that's horses . . . ups and downs are part of the sport, and there were still a lot of positives to take away.

So, I gave Kali his pre-competition bath last night as usual . . . put the new hood on (bought as a replacement for the one he decimated a month or so ago), bandaged him and left him with a ridiculously deep bed in the hope that he'd stay clean.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203518496422378&l=158fd60647

Hmmmmmm.

When I arrived at 7 a.m., he looked like this:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203523019695457&l=3ba2b78090

He's worn that hood three times.

Sigh.

Back in the washroom he went to clean up his face and the stable stains on his legs and the on the walker while I did yard jobs, gathered up competition gear and waited for Z to arrive with the lorry.

He was a bit knobberish while Z plaited his mane, but nothing out of the ordinary . . . just him being . . . HIM.

Loaded him (little ****** tried to do a repeat of last weekend's shenanigans but Z caught him in time and tied him up quick), ramp up and we were off to East Soley to do Prelim 14 and his first ever Novice (24).

We left in brilliant sunshine . . . we arrived at East Soley in the middle of a flipping hailstorm with an arctic wind!

Kali came off the lorry alright . . . not sweaty, a little antsy, but nothing horrific, but it was like his feet hit the lorry park surface and something shot him up the arse. He's been fidgety and tense by the lorry before, but nothing like this . . . somehow I got him tacked up while Z got changed, she was on and they were off . . . he had proper ants in his pants. Normally, as soon as Z's bottom hits the saddle, he relaxes a little and puts his "work" hat on . . . not today.

It took Z a good 25 minutes to get him to remotely settle in the warm up for the Prelim . . . he wasn't being naughty, he was genuinely unhappy . . . tense/stressed/scared . . . but he really was trying really hard to listen to her. About fifteen minutes into the warm up he had a panic, almost as though he had had his fingers in his ears up to that point and then had suddenly lost the plot. Z rode him through it, sat quiet, settled him. The steward was lovely . . . so encouraging, gave them as much time as she could and kept telling me how beautiful he is. So sweet.

Right - time to go in . . . poor boy shat his pants going into the indoor arena . . . didn't like it at all . . . but he gave Z the benefit of the doubt for the first half of the test and (even though he was holding his breath and/or grinding his teeth much of the time) tried really, really hard . . . and then the very spooky doorway got the better of him and he did a massive spook . . . shot sideways and then planted, snorting at the spooky door. Z gave him a pat and a stroke, told him he was a good boy, and they continued.

Some of the trot work was quite nice - especially considering how tense he was . . . he broke quite a bit in the canter because he was so tense, Z couldn't ride accurate movements at the end of the school nearest the door, the free walk on a long rein was better than last weekend . . . he tried . . . he really, really tried . . . but when Z got off and we got back to the lorry, he lost the plot . . . one seriously unhappy pony. YM came and asked us to put him back on the lorry because he was spinning/churning up the car park . . . that made him worse! He tried to escape from the lorry by climbing underneath part of the partition! We got him off and attempted to walk him - which usually calms him - but, if anything, he got worse :(. Z and I looked at each other and decided to put him back on the lorry and take him home. He was still bouncing as Z pulled out of the lorry park . . . but two minutes down the road he had calmed . . . he came off the lorry tired, was a little rude going down to the field, but after a reminder sorted out his manners, had a good roll in the field and just really, really chilled.

When I brought him in to take out his plaits, rug and bandage him up, he was very calm and very, very tired. Ate up his tea, had a good munch on his hay/haylage and had a good drink . . . YO checked on him for me and said he was dozing . . . no doubt wore himself out poor lad.

We are both (Z and I) totally baffled. He's been stressed and excited before . . . but never like that. And, to me, he seemed desperately unhappy about something, rather than just naughty. The venue isn't particularly busy - the outdoor school is nice enough, the atmosphere is calm.

I don't care that he didn't do the Novice . . . and I didn't bother to go and collect our sheet for the Prelim . . . I just wanted to get him on the lorry and get him home . . .

I have just spoken to our trainer and our plan for tomorrow WAS to take him to another venue to practice the test for the championship (this coming Sunday) in test conditions - so bathed, plaited, etc. Now Z and I will just take him out to the venue (he used to livery there), without our trainer, no plaiting, no bath, and just see if she can get him to relax in their school/work long and low and as soon as he does, box him up and bring him home. Then we'll take it from there. If we feel it isn't the right thing for him to go out and do stressage this weekend, then we won't go. Perhaps he should go XC schooling instead . . . or jumping . . . we'll figure it out. Together :).

However bad the bad bits of today were, though, I was immensely proud of how hard he tried . . . and immensely proud of how well Z rode him . . . she couldn't have been more reassuring and he couldn't have given more of himself than he did.

Horses eh?

P

Nic

Visit site
Are you certain the hood hasn't hurt his mouth? My first thought would be it's upset him the night before.

I have a particularly dumb dumblood & that's how he'd respond. Horses!

PolarSkye

Visit site
Are you certain the hood hasn't hurt his mouth? My first thought would be it's upset him the night before.

I have a particularly dumb dumblood & that's how he'd respond. Horses!

Hmmm . . . hadn't even thought of that! Doh. He wasn't funny about taking a contact, but he's so much more willing and honest these days, perhaps that was it? Once he's upset, he's VERY upset . . . as you say, typical dumblood.

I'll have a look in his mouth in the morning. And perhaps recommend to Z that she ride him tomorrow in the hackamore.

P

Nic

Visit site
If it were me I'd give him the benefit of the doubt & a few easy days. Better to be over cautious for no reason than do any damage to the dumblood brain if he is sore. God knows they hold a grudge!! (Mine got surprised by a pheasant schooling once, couldn't get him to behave between c&m for the rest of the season!

merlinsquest

Visit site
What a shame when he's been doing so well, I have enjoyed your reports. If it were me, bearing in mind I have never met you or Kal, I would leave him out the night before, yes he might get a bit grubby but I have a coloured who goes out overnight & my Hot Horse Shower really comes into its own! If he is naughty by the lorry to tack up then I would do everything inside the lorry, I always do & also when I groom at shows.

Nothing else to say except I once went to East Soley with my old mare to do dressage, we had the most hideous time ever as I do think that arena is quite spooky. Good luck & looking forward to the next report!

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
Oh no, I know those hoods are useful however they can stress some horses out, I have a snuggy hoods one with no head as my horses have never liked there heads covered. Hopefully its a simple as a bit of a sore mouth poor boy and your nect outing will be more successful.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
That's a shame but in a good way at least he was misbehaving because he was upset about something rather than just for the sake of it - if that makes sense. Hopefully it's something over nothing but still a bit of a worry until you can suss out what it was.

Blimey just took another look at the second picture - didn't see it through his mouth the first time, just the holes he'd made. Poor boy.

Last edited:

only_me

Visit site
Oh no :( sounds like a very stressful day, but not normal for him. Is it possible he could have hurt his mouth when he managed to get hood right up in his mouth?
It sounds possibly like he somehow caught himself and and either tried to get it off so could have twisted his jaw (which would make sense with the issue with contact) or possibly rolled/got cast etc. in either an effort to release his mouth or thats how he got it caught in first place and hurt his back?

I would give a couple of days off, re-assess and if no better try vet/physio route just to make sure.

Its never easy with horses, is it!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
PS, possibly the hail on the box?
Only mentioning this as I had a clients 13.2 show pony that totally lost it when we got caught in a downpour of hai after arriving at showground, she totally freaked but the 2 others in the lorry got unsettled but were fine after working in. We didn't compete her in the end as was getting more and more dangerous in warm up, finally ended up loading her back up in the stallion section of the lorry and got a vet to sedate as had a 2hr drive home.
Never had it again from her, tho was always a bit of a tricky customer before and after that year she was with us, tho never like that.
hope you can get to the bottom of this x

PolarSkye

Visit site
What a shame when he's been doing so well, I have enjoyed your reports. If it were me, bearing in mind I have never met you or Kal, I would leave him out the night before, yes he might get a bit grubby but I have a coloured who goes out overnight & my Hot Horse Shower really comes into its own! If he is naughty by the lorry to tack up then I would do everything inside the lorry, I always do & also when I groom at shows.

Nothing else to say except I once went to East Soley with my old mare to do dressage, we had the most hideous time ever as I do think that arena is quite spooky. Good luck & looking forward to the next report!

He doesn't do well out overnight . . . just doesn't sleep . . . too busy looking for tigers, even with company. Also, I wash him the night before because he isn't a fan of baths anyway, and I don't like washing him the day OF a competition/outing . . . would rather give him a bath the night before and then let him chill. Hope that makes sense.

As to the spookiness, I did wonder about that myself, but then why would he still be so lit up once he came out of the arena? He just got worse and worse.

P

PolarSkye

Visit site
Oh no, I know those hoods are useful however they can stress some horses out, I have a snuggy hoods one with no head as my horses have never liked there heads covered. Hopefully its a simple as a bit of a sore mouth poor boy and your nect outing will be more successful.

Well, lesson learned with the hood . . . not least because he shredded it - for the second time. I hope his mouth isn't sore . . . I didn't see any evidence of that and he certainly wasn't resisting taking a contact, but . . . something sure upset him :(.

P

PolarSkye

Visit site
Oh no :( sounds like a very stressful day, but not normal for him. Is it possible he could have hurt his mouth when he managed to get hood right up in his mouth?
It sounds possibly like he somehow caught himself and and either tried to get it off so could have twisted his jaw (which would make sense with the issue with contact) or possibly rolled/got cast etc. in either an effort to release his mouth or thats how he got it caught in first place and hurt his back?

I would give a couple of days off, re-assess and if no better try vet/physio route just to make sure.

Its never easy with horses, is it!

He was calm as you like when I went up this morning . . . no signs of being cast in his stable . . . wasn't especially stressed while being plaited (just cheeky - which is normal for him) . . . as for the hood, I won't be buying another one ;).

He took a contact with Z just fine both in the warm-up and in the arena . . . and although he was tense in both the arena and the test, he was FAR worse back at the lorry, which really confused us . . . so perhaps he did hurt his jaw?

P

PolarSkye

Visit site
PS, possibly the hail on the box?
Only mentioning this as I had a clients 13.2 show pony that totally lost it when we got caught in a downpour of hai after arriving at showground, she totally freaked but the 2 others in the lorry got unsettled but were fine after working in. We didn't compete her in the end as was getting more and more dangerous in warm up, finally ended up loading her back up in the stallion section of the lorry and got a vet to sedate as had a 2hr drive home.
Never had it again from her, tho was always a bit of a tricky customer before and after that year she was with us, tho never like that.
hope you can get to the bottom of this x

Hadn't thought of that . . . it was really pinging off the lorry . . . but why would it escalate like that?

P

Lolo

Visit site
Maybe it's like people? I cope fine with things that have previously been very triggering for my anxiety, such as large lectures. But if something else happens to upset or unnerve me and I then have to cope with the lecture I really struggle and often do just start antsy and then it spirals...

Poor pony and poor you and Z. Hope he feels more himself soon.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Maybe it's like people? I cope fine with things that have previously been very triggering for my anxiety, such as large lectures. But if something else happens to upset or unnerve me and I then have to cope with the lecture I really struggle and often do just start antsy and then it spirals...

Poor pony and poor you and Z. Hope he feels more himself soon.

Thanks Hon :).

P

MissTyc

Visit site
He might also have struggled to eat with the bother of the hood in his mouth? So hood stress, empty belly, gastric juices, hail on box ... all that would do it. Perhaps he didn't sleep well the night before either because of it, so tired and irritably. Explains exhaustion once the adrenaline has worn off as well.

I'm sure he'll be right again in a few days x

frannieuk

Visit site
One other thing to perhaps consider could be whether the hood caught/rubbed an eye? This happened to a friend's horse - fine in the morning but horse kept head tilting and the eye blew up the following evening. Hope K is ok and that it was just one of those weird 'horse' moments that they seem to be prone to!

PolarSkye

Visit site
He might also have struggled to eat with the bother of the hood in his mouth? So hood stress, empty belly, gastric juices, hail on box ... all that would do it. Perhaps he didn't sleep well the night before either because of it, so tired and irritably. Explains exhaustion once the adrenaline has worn off as well.

I'm sure he'll be right again in a few days x

He emptied a (very large, stuffed - one of the huge black/red jobbies) haynet overnight and ate his breakfast/cleaned the bowl, BUT I did hear a lot more gut activity than normal when I was washing his legs this morning in the wash room. He went on the walker after that and shat everywhere so gut was moving normally, but he was certainly more "loose" than normal in the warm-up at ES.

P

PolarSkye

Visit site
One other thing to perhaps consider could be whether the hood caught/rubbed an eye? This happened to a friend's horse - fine in the morning but horse kept head tilting and the eye blew up the following evening. Hope K is ok and that it was just one of those weird 'horse' moments that they seem to be prone to!

His eyes were the first thing I checked . . . will certainly double-check in the morning, but my gut tells me it's not that . . . it's just (as you say) him being a rather big numpty (as horses can be) and us trying to figure out why.

P

LessThanPerfect

Visit site
So sorry to hear it went so badly, hope he does better for you next time out. Had a very similar day myself,horse I was riding had a major freak in dressage test, we managed spooking, spinning, bucking and napping all in a few minutes followed by further spinning when the thunderstorm started and hail came down on the arena roof--in fact just about the only direction we DIDN'T go in was FORWARDS!
As someone else said in a post yesterday, ponies can't half make you look like a pillock!