Well that was an exciting morning!

tatty_v

Visit site
Having been thwarted by yesterday’s torrential rain, pony and I set off for a solo hack in the sunshine this morning. Having negotiated the enormous sprayer in the field, we had a glorious gallop all the way up the beautiful bridleway...straight into a half marathon at the other end! 🙈 I think we just set a record for mile 4-5...

I joked with one of the marshals that a little bit of warning would have been nice - apparently I should have deduced from the bright yellow arrow signs that had materialised overnight exactly what was going on, how many runners, the route, the timings etc. Thankfully pony was a legend and managed to keep a lid on things and we got back safely! Not bad for a pony called Spook 😁

catkin

Visit site
Good pony.

that reminds me of a time that I inadvertently rode into the middle of a motor hill-climb. Had absolutely no idea it was going on - though the organisers were great, held the cars whilst we rode up the hill, they even made a bit of a joke of it and declared my horse the winner of a new 1 horse-power class - hoss thought it was great as he got made a great fuss of :)

chaps89

Visit site
I had similar with the BHF Brighton to London bike off road bike ride - not a fun day! Glad you survived all in one piece :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We once found ourselves in the middle of a charity bed-push! The Clydesdale was quite disappointed when we got to junction and turned away from the clapping and cheering that she could hear but not see.

Thank goodness for well-behaved equines!

AlinFaolan

Visit site
A friend and myself had a similar experience, came across a large group of runners taking part in a race down a rather narrow bridleway we had joined from a permissive track no signs what so ever, one guy evan had a pushchair and to be honest my lad was seriously unimpressed and how we didn't take someone out as we went sideways past them I'm not sure.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I managed to get on a lane being used by a vintage motorcycle rally the other week. That was interesting, must have been a hundred of them went past me.

tatty_v

Visit site
Sounds like there are some saintly equines out there - I’m very relieved it was just runners for us and not some of these more exciting encounters!

Merrymoles

Visit site
We got mixed up in a Harley Davidson rally recently and pulled into the entrance of a nearby farm. There were about 100 bikers, all of whom were brilliant as they passed us, and then my horse had a meltdown, not because of 100 noisy motorbikes but because the horses at the farm came to the fence to see what was going on!

Fransurrey

Visit site
There was a cycle event that went past our yard and through the village, yesterday, so I had a constant stream of road cyclists going past. Only two morons out of probably 50 or 60, so not bad. Coblet is totally amazing with them and I got a couple of 'ooh what a lovely horse', which is quite normal for him. He seems to have quite a fan club!! Years ago I got caught up in the Leith Hill Half Marathon. Henry was fab with it all, but the organisers had a sense of humour bypass when he tried to help himself at the water station.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I once got caught up in a procession of vehicles leaving the local steam rally, they were obviously all going home to the same place and I had no way of knowing they would choose that route. Probably about a dozen steam rollers and big tractor things. Was riding my ex racer at the time, he didnt blink!!

catkin

Visit site
I once got caught up in a procession of vehicles leaving the local steam rally, they were obviously all going home to the same place and I had no way of knowing they would choose that route. Probably about a dozen steam rollers and big tractor things. Was riding my ex racer at the time, he didnt blink!!

Wow!
what a fab horse - that would be a step too far for most of my ponies, even the bravest ones - we'd be gone!
'......but you said fire-breathing dragons didn't exist...........'

kc921

Visit site
I've been caught up in a motorbike event, probably over 50 very loud bikes going past us!
Also been caught up in an endurance ride which I didn't realise was going on! Over a hundred horses cantering past us! Luckily my previous boy didn't batter an eyelid! I would dread to be caught up in something like that with my current boy, he would have freaked out and wanted to join the galloping! 😂

Visit site
Always makes life interesting to be caught up in the unexpected! Whilst once hacking out alone on my young Connie, we came upon a "tractor pull" - various ages, sizes, noises - around 30 tractors. I froze and expected the worst - he just sauntered along! Got caught up in a pheasant shoot once on my very sharp and spooky Welsh X - had to ask the guns to hold fire whilst we passed and I genuinely thought my life would end that day. To his credit, although I could feel his heart rate pounding, he did manage to keep a lid on it but remains very suspicious of the woods still every time we pass!