Well that's a bobber...

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
...I think the wee dog brought some tiny friends with her... ?☹

I was told she was all up to date with vaccs and treatments, and due to covid I couldn't take her for a check up as I normally would've done.

Harrumph.

The others are on something (name escapes me!) that I get monthly from the vet, which I was going to put her onto (the others are due on the 14th). I've not seen any of the little blighters but she's scratching, I've been bitten by a something (though could've been from the field). The other dogs don't seem to be scratching.

I'll send a message to the people who looked after her last. They have a dog and young children so I can't imagine them not treating her.

Any suggestions on how to find out for sure? I've checked through her coat but can't see anything. And what treatment to get rid?

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
If you have looked her over thoroughly, and haven't found anything anywhere, I would probably nervously start to worry about mange, scabies, or similar. But I think a veterinarian have to do a skin scraping to be able to determine if something like that is causing the itch. However, I'm the worrying type of pet owner, hopefully the first thing I thought about is wrong.

Roxylola

Visit site
Can you get a fine comb through her? Anything that comes off soak in water, and sign of red is flea poo.
I usually just blitz the house with index, lots of spot ons are useless these days

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
That's the problem with mange, as I recall it, in the early stages there is only the itch to go on as a sign.

In 1993 I bought a Smooth Collie puppy, and as I remember it, within days or a few weeks, she started to itch. I don't remember if also the Norwegian Buhund, and/or any of the 5 cats we had then, developed an itch. But we took the puppy to the veterinarian, after ruling out other things, they did a skin scraping, and it was mange.
Back then, there was still those that suggested that if your pets got mange, you should treat them, and sell your home, so that they wouldn't get it straight away again because you'd missed a spot while cleaning.

We chose to put them all in one bed room, closed the door, and then other family members began with hoovering, floor washing, and changing the bed linen in one of the other bed rooms. After that they continued cleaning the rest of the house, even the house plants got a spray of water on them.

Meanwhile I bathed the cats, and dogs, one after the other. First they had to be shampooed with normal shampoo to ensure the second medical stuff would get down to the skin, then the second medical stuff had to be on them for about 10 minutes, before being rinsed off. When one was finished, I took it to the first bed room that had been cleaned, and closed the door, so they had to stay there until the rest of the house had been cleaned.

This had to be repeated 3 times with 1 week apart. The 4 moggies caused trouble at every bathing event, the Persian cat stoically put up with the first 2 weekly baths. At the third weekly bath, she curled up around my hands like a second skin, and completely shredded the gloves.

Afterwards we took the puppy back to the veterinarian, and a new skin scraping showed she was free of mange. The veterinarian was surprised, apparently most owners in the cases they'd had before, had to go through the whole 3 weekly baths thing a second time, before they managed to get rid of the mange.

I know they've developed newer, more effective stuff to deal with mange today, but all that cat, and dog washing, and house cleaning (by the time all the bed linen, dog rugs, some human clothes, and other washable stuff had been washed, and dried, it was time to do it all again), have lead to that mange is something which still fills me with a tiny amount of dread.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
As I said, there is newer, and much better treatments for it now. Fingers crossed it is something easy to both figure out, and fix.

Oops, just realised that my fear of mange made me forget to mention that 2 of my Lapphunds can't have Frontline spot-on treatments, because after using it for x years, they became very itchy as a sign of not tolerating it anymore. The 3rd Lapphund developed an severe itch after using Scalibor collars for 1 1/2 - 2 years. They're on NexGard now, but it is good to remember that only because a dog have had one anti-tick/anti-flea treatment before without trouble, they can suddenly stop to tolerate it.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Thank you!

I feel a major cleaning and spraying session coming on, once we have the wee one on the proper flea stuff - or should I crack on with the Indorex stuff now? I'm sure I've seen a bottle of it somewhere around here, though no idea how old it is as don't remember buying it or what it was for at the time - hope it's still in date.

I'm still waiting on a call back from the vet. As she's not yet been seen by them they won't just prescribe it, though they'll only know what I tell them over the phone anyway but hey ho. I'm hpoing to be able to pick it up on Monday latest.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Thank you!

I feel a major cleaning and spraying session coming on, once we have the wee one on the proper flea stuff - or should I crack on with the Indorex stuff now? I'm sure I've seen a bottle of it somewhere around here, though no idea how old it is as don't remember buying it or what it was for at the time - hope it's still in date.

I'm still waiting on a call back from the vet. As she's not yet been seen by them they won't just prescribe it, though they'll only know what I tell them over the phone anyway but hey ho. I'm hpoing to be able to pick it up on Monday latest.

IIRC the vet told me they're only on the dog/human to feed and spend most of their time in the bedding/floor etc so no harm at all in spraying before spot on. It claims to be effevtive in the home for a year or something like that I think

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Bob Martins...

Useless and I’ve heard potentially dangerous.

Good point re. tolerance changes.

As an aside, we stopped using Frontline a couple of years ago as it didn't seem to be as effective as was.

Hasn’t worked for some years. Serestro collar or Advantage are effective if it is fleas. Stand her on white paper and comb to see if you have the dread black spots that turn red when wet.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Tried with a small many small-pronged brush thing as don't have a comb. Will get one tomorrow. She's not too keen on it, but it's something else she has to learn is okay to have done.

Damn! Just thought. I'll have to go buy another hoover - the Miele died last week and I've been sweeping the floors (all hard). So that's another job to do tomorrow...

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I feel your loss Mrs M. My Miele gave up the ghost a month again, and I miss it soooo much ?. A Dyson doesn’t come close sadly.