well they've started already.......

thewonderhorse

Visit site
The fireworks have started around my area have started already. The dog is unhappy and the ginger pony and his pals are out :(. What do you do during 'firework' season? Leave out or bring in?.

The boy was out last year and coped ok I think. I check on him during the evening as his field is only just across from my house and he doesn't seem to career about.

Just still worries me that it will upset him. How do your horses cope and is there a particular way you manage? Thanks :)

meesha

Visit site
dirty stinky smelly dog is sat half on me on the sofa as we have fireworks going off here ! Have always left horses out - rather they ran round in field than run into walls of stables or worst case scenario a stray firework hits stables.

Kokopelli

Visit site
First year we've not had an issue with our dog because he's started as a gun dog so apparently fireworks are no longer scary.

Horses don't seem bothered in the slightest though, even my skatty tb

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
Over here Halloween means fireworks. Ireland too. Been going off all evening here. My dog, too, is not happy. The horses do not give a fig. Mine are in at night due to swamp ground and that won't change.

Terri

putasocinit

Visit site
It's the 19th today, do they start early just because they can, idiots. Do they not realise apart from the injuries and accidents but some of them are made with wire which lands up in fields, rivers etc, cows etc eat it, it gets baled up, ban them all and Chinese lanterns.

bryngelenponies

www.biopharm-leeches.com
My horses are right next to a cricket ground that always has fireworks :(. My little mare is totally used to them after 7 years but this is the first year I've had a weanling and yearling so I'm really worried :( The field is also right next to the motorway which is constantly full of loud noises of things back firing etc so I'm hoping that will have desensitised them a bit before the dreaded fireworks begin.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
they are having the "town firework display" literally a hundred metres from our back yard - we are going to have to take the dogs out for the evening, it's just too close.

really peed off about it :mad:

jennywren07

Visit site
Horses live out all year round either way and have never been fussed.

We live near a very large muslim/Hindu community so the dogs are used to fireworks for Eid/Diwali/guy fawkes/ new years and weddings at the golf course lol the only time they seem to notice is if one shoots up as i open the back door then they try and chase it :rolleyes:

PandorasJar

Visit site
We shoot around ours so none fussed.

Something useful for spookies, I always take camera up and keep popping flash down and taking new photos (great popping sound and flash) during the day.

All out 24.7

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
First year we've not had an issue with our dog because he's started as a gun dog so apparently fireworks are no longer scary.

Horses don't seem bothered in the slightest though, even my skatty tb

Ours are the same. We don't shoot, but do gun dog drives at Game Fairs. They shoot a dummy out of a launcher and the dog has to run and get it. They think its fun and associate bangs with fun...

My horses are right next to a cricket ground that always has fireworks :(. My little mare is totally used to them after 7 years but this is the first year I've had a weanling and yearling so I'm really worried :( The field is also right next to the motorway which is constantly full of loud noises of things back firing etc so I'm hoping that will have desensitised them a bit before the dreaded fireworks begin.

I expect your weanling will take his cue from your mare, so won't bother. Apart from jumping a bit at first..

We have a wedding hotel on the hill above us, so we have fireworks most weekend nights throughout the summer. Its far enough away to not be hugely frightening, yet near enough for them to get totally unfazed by fireworks..

I should do "desensitise your horse" weekends here for HHOers.

ps. We usually have a big bonfire and fireworks at the yard, and find the horses much prefer to be out.

weesophz

www.facebook.com
ours have always been in on bonfire night as its always too cold up here for them to be out! we usually just leave a radio on, but my boy has never really bothered his arse to be honest, as long as hes eating hes happy!

Foxhunter49

Visit site
When some neighbours had a big party with fireworks I went out to check the horses were OK.
They were stood on the brow of the hill watching, not in the slightest perturbed.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
When some neighbours had a big party with fireworks I went out to check the horses were OK.
They were stood on the brow of the hill watching, not in the slightest perturbed.

Yes the first bonfire we had I asked everyone to bring small fireworks, they didn't. I went charging off to the field where I'd put the horses for the night to see how they were. They were asleep. Me running into the field scared them to death!

We had a little section A who used to watch them go up, following them like a cat follows a piece of string in the air, totally amazed. She was really funny. Not scared, just going "woooow"!

Little Fat Pony

Visit site
My lad is better stabled when fireworks are going off, he gallops around like a lunatic when he's out.

I bring him in with a big straw bed, and a light on, as well as plenty of hay and leave him to it. If they're really close I put the radio on and close his top door.

Was thinking of trying Blue Chip Karma, has anyone tried it? :)

ash493

Visit site
I've just bought a cD to try and desensitise my youngster - so far he's unbothered by it but the older one is standing stock still, head up! Hopefully it'll chill him out a bit too.

perhaps worth a try with dogs too?

hobo

Visit site
Bryngeponies prahaps the people near you that have the fireworks near the motorway may want to see tonights west country news. The chap the had the fireworks near the M5 last year has been charged with 7 counts of manslaughter.