Well this is a new one - chestnut carrying black gene

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
So how does that work then? Mutant? Owner doesn't understand how colour is inherited?

http://www.adhorse.co.uk/horseforsale_66560.html

image_from_db.php

He looks chestnut.

Apparently
i have his DNA tests for his black gene.

I'd love to see the paperwork. :)

Lovely chap though, I hope he finds a nice home. :D

Reactions: DD

ihatework

Visit site
No idea on the genetics but he is a good looking chap and the stamp of Arab I really like for injection into sporthorses (obviously provided they are proven to jump & move & train)

Moon River

Visit site
Just for kicks while I drink my tea, I've looked him up on allbreedpedigree.com, one offspring listed, from a black mare. Doesn't say what colour the foal was but black would be a distinct possibility there! And to be fair she doesn't say what the results of his DNA tests were, just that she's got them...

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
ermmm I'd want to see the paperwork but I call dodgy, maybe etalon did the testing? that horse is ee all day long :p

Of course he can produce black foals with the right mare...

breeding is bay Ee (bay - so Ee/EE x chestnut-ee) x black Ee (chestnut ee x bay Ee/EE)
I'm presuming because he is x black she thinks that means he's magically carrying it?!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
If he is athletic, trainable, well conformed and good tempered than all of that should be far more important to a mare owner than black foals IMO.

blitznbobs

Visit site
So how does that work then? Mutant? Owner doesn't understand how colour is inherited?

http://www.adhorse.co.uk/horseforsale_66560.html

image_from_db.php

He looks chestnut.

Apparently

I'd love to see the paperwork. :)

Lovely chap though, I hope he finds a nice home. :D
Because genetics is not as straight forward as people would like to believe, there are so many interlinking factors as well as mosaic genotypes and lots of other factors which go beyond the dominant recessive relationship

Reactions: DD

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Thing is, some of us are pretty good at those interlinking factors ;).

Though I'm just as bothered by that front hoof :D

DD

Visit site
A friend of mine, now sadly deceased bred black arabs. She told me that a chestnut mare could throw black foals. Going the other way round my black arabian mare had a chestnut colt.

Visit site
There was a Shetland stallion a good few years ago that was Piebald. He was a wonder! He was licenced and because he came from a very prominant stud and before dna testing he was just accepted.

He may have been piebald but his parentage right back 8 generations was entirely black through and through without even so much as a white star amongst them all!

windand rain

Visit site
I also recently saw a photo of a tri colour horse the genetic explaination was the absorbed twin syndrome one was tobiano the other chestnut so the foal was a true tricolour. It did look very odd

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
There was a Shetland stallion a good few years ago that was Piebald. He was a wonder! He was licenced and because he came from a very prominant stud and before dna testing he was just accepted.

He may have been piebald but his parentage right back 8 generations was entirely black through and through without even so much as a white star amongst them all!

He wasn't a Dryknowl pony was he? They bred nothing but black Shetlands that won nationally, and then suddenly I saw a piebald one year as I was riding past

Visit site
He wasn't a Dryknowl pony was he? They bred nothing but black Shetlands that won nationally, and then suddenly I saw a piebald one year as I was riding past

No he was called Drum Rainbow.

Dryknowl did buy in one or two coloureds and bred them along with the blacks. They always had names beginning with Col

Frumpoon

Visit site
Not sure if it's the same as hoomans but my grandmother was one of 7 girls all of whom were EITHER very, very dark complexions and black hair OR ivory toned redheads.....a gent on the same street once made a rude comment about my great grandmothers ahem...'conduct' and was treated to a shoeing by all 7 girls

windand rain

Visit site
Yup I have 3 sisters two are very dark and one like me is a white skinned redhead something to do with Celtic origins according to my gran. My dark haired sisters have vividly blue eyes too

conniegirl

Visit site
Please could you genetic people explain my arab.
He was bay, both parents were grey, you have to go 3 generations back to find anything other than grey and even then they are chestnut.
You have to go 5 generations back to find one solitary brown (though could have been bay i suppose).
Ive always wondered how it was possible

Leo Walker

Visit site
Grey is a modifier, so your arab was bay/chestnut/black etc, with the addition of grey. They are born the base colour and then over time, sometimes slowly, sometimes very quickly, they go grey.

If they have one grey gene they will express it, so both his parents must have carried only only copy of the grey gene and in his instance didnt pass it on,