Wellies and silicone spray

VioletStripe

Visit site
I am a self-confessed apathetic umm..lemon? I am awful at taking care of tack and boots...

I bought some lovely Aigle wellies (eye-wateringly expensive, too) a few months ago, which I absolutely love. I was warned when I bought them I need to buy their protective silicone pray alongside. Needless to say, I rolled my eyes and didn't. Please, no judgement.

Now I really think I ought to - the guilt is killing me. However, the Aigle and Le Chameau branded stuff seems sillily pricey? What does everyone else use?

My mum suggested either mane and tail conditioner or furniture polish... Anyone have any experience?

Cheers!

Widgeon

Visit site
What would you be protecting them against?
I've had my Aigle wellies for 15yrs and all the care they've had is a rinse under the tap.

Yes, I've had mine three years and a few times a year I mop all the mud off them, wipe them down, coat them in olive oil and put them out of reach of the dog overnight....! I'd never heard of silicon spraying them.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I had a pair of those very expensive French leather lined rubber riding boots for hunting in terrible weather and I was advised to use that stuff people use to make car tyres look new. I think it is called Armour All or something like that.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I have Le Chameau's and if it helps, have literally never sprayed them with anything! I rarely hose them off unless they are particularly vile (and I have low standards) and have lasted years.

J&S

Visit site
Mine get rinsed in a flooded empty flower pot, would not even consider putting anything on them.

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
The only thing you really need to do to look after them is rinse them after use....and do not leave them on the doorstep!
The UV rays will destroy them and make them perish super quick! Keep them inside when not in use and out of direct sunlight!

Orchardbeck

Visit site
Hunter make a spray that is £5 as opposed to the £10 Aigle one, not sure how they compare size wise though. I've had my bottle for about 6 years, I don't use it often.

Baywonder

Visit site
I never used anything on my Hunter wellies - just a rinse off with the hosepipe if needed. They are still going strong all these years later (they were the ones made in Scotland though!).

It sounds like an extra sales pitch to get a bit of extra money off you.

It is the same with kid's school shoes. Every year I am asked if I would like to buy x/y/z to put on the leather, and they 'highly recommend' it to keep them in tip-top condition. And every year I tell them "No thanks, I will just use good old fashioned shoe polish!"