Wellington BE...why so many wds before the xc?

TheMule

Visit site
I suspect a lot have entries for Autumn 3 days? But I expect the ground was porbably a bit hard too...?

ElleJS

Visit site
William FP Paul Tapner and numerous other pros ran autumn 3 day bound horses fast so wasn't bad at all! I ran my Blenheim bound horse. Yes it is firm but it was sandy and good grass covering and even. I didn't think it was rough and I'm really picky! A lot of people have already run their 3DE bound horses on hard ground at previous events so probably just needed a combined training. They did a great job!

oldvic

Visit site
William FP Paul Tapner and numerous other pros ran autumn 3 day bound horses fast so wasn't bad at all! I ran my Blenheim bound horse. Yes it is firm but it was sandy and good grass covering and even. I didn't think it was rough and I'm really picky! A lot of people have already run their 3DE bound horses on hard ground at previous events so probably just needed a combined training. They did a great job!

Looking at the results, very few went quick especially in the advanced. Like many things, ground is a subjective thing. It is no surprise that William went steady as he often does but the pro that told me seldom takes horses out/goes steady but did today.

ElleJS

Visit site
Yes they went steady, so did I, (mare wasnt happy about that lol) it was still hard after all but just think it was as good as you would get in the circumstances is what I meant, and if you we're desperate for a final trip it was good enough. Can't believe I'm saying this after last year!! Unbelievable! Damn you British weather!!

IncaCola

Visit site
I went too and was a little disappointed with the ground compared to the amazing efforts at my previos 2 events Hartpury and Aston le Walls. In some places the work coupled with horses on it had soften it well, but in others in particular through the big parallels at 14/15 it was quite hard. However not rough and did ride well although i like many took it very steady. There were some pros who did go for it though in order to get in the money. Remember at advanced level even 15 time penalties means you are going pretty fast.

ihatework

Visit site
It was certainly on the firm side, I thought it lacked a bit of grass cover too.
That said there was some give, and it wasn't rough from what I could tell.
Overall, on the harder side of acceptable, would have suited some more than others.

oldvic

Visit site
Remember at advanced level even 15 time penalties means you are going pretty fast.

The amount over time is relevant to the type of course and how tight it is measured. 15 time would be the equivalent of novice speed which is not so quick given that there was 1 in time and those that were being competitive we're only just over. At advanced level you need a certain amount of speed and purpose or you make it hard for the horse - I am not saying that 15 time is too slow, just steady and the majority were slower than that.