Welsh Cob stud recommendations?

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Hi all,

I've tried searching for this, but the search function on here is useless (omits 'cob' as too short).

Any Welsh Cob lovers please can you recommend any studs? This is for a while into the future, but I can refer back to this thread when I need it. Nationwide is fine although anywhere towards the east would be helpful.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Having said that - if you do find a stallion that you like the look of, it might be worth looking at the website incase they have stock by him for sale. :)

maisie06

Visit site
What type do you want? Show type for Inhand, riding type, sports type?? They come in all different guises these days! If I were buying another welsh cob I would be after something with Janton or Thorneyside lineage as I really like the type and temperment.

jaffa2311

Visit site
Renvarg stud have bred some cracking ridden cobs and have some nice ones for sale, one in particular.

Menai stud- Menai Sparkling Imperial is something special.

Camalsa stud- Llanfyllin Shooting Star and Cream Boy are both crackers.

Would also say Avonvalley, Llanarth, Kentchurch, Pentrefelin and Tardebigge.

All seem to have winning formulas for producing successful ridden/inhand cobs

Attie

Visit site
What type of welsh cob are you looking for? Easier to make a few suggestions then... Mine are all from bloodlines for riding so a little bit taller 14.3 ish with less feather and no high knee action. But then there are the short coupled, small driving types with feather and plenty of knee action and then the very tall 15.2 plus maesmynach types and a few others as well!

Spottyappy

Visit site
Not sure how far you want to travel, or when you will be buying, but Penn Welsh cobs near High Wycombe are having a dispursal due to retirement(I purchased a beautiful mare there recently). He has several youngsters left. Also, Broughton Welsh Cobs near Aylesbury. Neither has a website, but if you PM me, I can supply contact details if you can't find them. Both in Buckinghamshire, so not too far from Essex.

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Thanks for all your suggestions, like I say, it won't be for ages and ages yet, but nice to know. I would basically want a young version of my darling Saffron, but don't know anything of her breeding. Not interested in showing, but want it to have a go a bit of everything, jumping, trec, dressage, hacking, local shows that sort of thing. Preferably 14.2hh to 15hh :)

NeverSayNever

Visit site
well if distance is no object, come up to the NE of Scotland to see the Balhagarty Stud - my girl is awesome so Im biased, however I know many people with Balhagartys who are just as delighted as I am. They have a website if you google.

navaho

Visit site
Come on holiday to West Wales, we have most of the big well known studs round here, Menai, Horeb, Synod, Derwen, Maesmynach & Nebo to name but a few :) make a week of it & visit them all & you can see what type you want & what suits you best.

navaho

Visit site

Ladydragon

Visit site
We got our youngster as a weanling from Rhydycar Stud in South Wales... Not a huge place but the little guy has a great temperament, has been a lot of fun and normal baby hi jinx/feeling his feet aside, very easy to handle...:)

bryngelenponies

www.biopharm-leeches.com
I would definitely recommend Derwen Stud for fantastic quality cobs with great temperaments. Ifor and Myfanwy are also so lovely to deal with and can help you choose a cob that's just right for you. Some other studs tend to breed cobs that have 'fiery' temperaments and aren't particularly good to deal with themselves.

pec

Visit site
Try Gwynfaes stud (Standing Gwynfaes Culhwch at stud also his son Gwynfaes Noah)
Culhwch winner of the Prince of Wales Cup 2002. Winner of the in hand sire ratings 2007, 208, 2009, 2010 and 2011. Producing HOYS qualifiers in-hand Bryncadno Heledd, under saddle Gwynfaes Custennin and in harness.
http://www.gwynfaes.co.uk/
Or Nantwood Stud, also based in West Wales based on Gwynfaes/Horeb lines but now crossing with Thorneyside via their stallion Thoneyside the Marksman.
http://www.nantwood.com/

Waffles

Visit site
The Derwen stud is fabulous. Ifor and Myfanwy are great. They don't breed many foals now though - only about 5 or 6 per year I think. The stallions they have there are amazing - when we went to buy my present horse, we went into the stables with the stallions - they were so calm and well mannered it was unbelievable. They even have a holiday cottage on site!