Welsh Cob

Four Seasons

Visit site
I have always loved Welsh Cob's and nearly bought one two years ago, but she sadly didn't come sound through the veterinary test.

Here in Holland, Welsh Cob's are amazingly expensive.... it is way cheaper to buy from the UK. So I want to do some research and I need help! I have no clue where all of the Welsh Cob breeders and dealers are in the UK and who is the best to buy from.

So, can anyone recommend a Welsh Cob breeder or stud who has very decent Cob's with good breeding. Only looking for a mare... although a stallion would be very welcome for me, but the Cobby is for my mum, so she wouldn't be pleased.:D

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I have a rising 11 Welsh gelding from Nebo lines, lovely looking horse but that's the only good thing I can say about him.:D I do love him really but he has not been the easiest over the five years I have had him. I also had a mare a few years back who's sire was Nebo Black Magic, what a little mare she was, outstanding and the reason I bought the gelding, as he came from the same lines. Good luck finding one, there are plenty of studs around and there is the annual Welsh Sales at Builth Wells every year (Royal Welsh Show Ground), I think its at the beginning of October.

EllenJay

Visit site
It really depends onwhat you want your welshie to do. Mine is breed from the Redwood stud and is really respected as a fab all rounder

cambrica

Visit site
Mine is from the Parc stud so has all the Parc legends in his breeding as well as Nebo, Derwen, Thorneyside and Synod, all outstanding studs. My old mare was Trevallion and stunning with it! Good breeding is important but don't be sold on names like Nebo Black Magic as he is in about every cob out there ( in mine about 5 times !) even though he was a stunner!
However even the best studs have youngsters going through Brightwells for a few hundred upto ten thousand +. You really have to think hard on the type of Sec D you want as the range in height, build and suitability for ridden work vary immensely and many are bred as in-hand show cobs, high knee action and short backed which do not make them suitable or comfortable for ridden work.
Go to Brightwells past results to give you an idea then google the horse's name for images.
Also another great stud is Taraco and based near to Dover/ Canterbury, lovely cobs there.

brucethegypsycob

Visit site
Cwmesgair stud in west Wales. Beautiful section D welsh cobs. Excellent reputation and has exported to Sweden successfully more than once. Contact Pauline jones on 01559371433. Even if you don't buy from her she will give advice as to where to go and what to look for.
Horeb welsh cobs also have excellent reputation, again west Wales. Section D and I think she also does section C as well.

pec

Visit site
Another vote for Gwynfaes plus I have some cobs for sale crossing Gwynfaes Culhwch blood with my stallion Thorneyside the Marksman (Thorneyside Flyer). Stick a pin in a map of West Wales and you will find a good stud.

express_75

Visit site
Mine are Trevallion and Tawelfan
Had a mare, which was sold on to Sweden at the cob sales in Builth. That's the place to go for a quality cob. I go every year, the October sales are better than the May sales but you'll still get a good choice.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Daughter, (Four Seasons) you and I are going to have a little talk.:rolleyes:
Not ready for a new horse yet and probably not for a while.
But......... I do love a well bred Welsh Section D.:):):):)

Oh go on ;) :D

mine is from nowhere in particular although as far as I can tell they did build a few but he is generally a good egg :).

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Mine is from the Parc stud so has all the Parc legends in his breeding as well as Nebo, Derwen, Thorneyside and Synod, all outstanding studs. My old mare was Trevallion and stunning with it! Good breeding is important but don't be sold on names like Nebo Black Magic as he is in about every cob out there ( in mine about 5 times !) even though he was a stunner!

That is so true but I must say I had a mare sired by Nebo Black Magic out of a TBXArab mare and she was an absolute star, in looks, personality and ability. He was a very special horse but he has been dead for probably thirty years now but still cob breeders are more than happy to say he is in their blood line. :D I ended up buying my gelding because his great grandfather was Nebo Black magic and hoped he would end up as talented as my old mare was but no such luck!!:)

navaho

Visit site
Another vote for Horeb stud. Stunning horses, proper cobs with plenty of bone and feather. Catherine and Rod who run the stud are lovely as well :)

angellauren

Visit site
I got my little chap from Machno Stud, I've only had him since Feb so he's still getting used to day to day life which can sometimes prove too much ha! He's renound for breeding quite sharp horses and ponies though.

Annagain

Visit site
:eek:Lots of information and links here: http://www.welshcob.co.uk/ (If your mum lets you!)

As Crugeran Celt said, I wouldn't get too fixated on the big names. Virtually every Welsh Cob will have Nebo Black Magic in his bloodlines somewhere. He was my old boy's (who would be 35 if he was alive) grandsire and great grandsire. (Twice:eek:) I'm sure that's why he was certifiable :p. NBM certainly had a VERY happy life ;)

Some of the smaller studs that aren't really household names are producing some lovely cobs - particularly for riding so plan a trip to Wales and see as many as time permits. Getting East to West is much easier than North to South so choose either South or North Wales (I'm in the South so more familiar with the studs in South and West Wales and there are plenty of them) and you should be able to visit quite a few studs in a week. We have some lovely scenery and great places to visit too so it would make a great holiday!

katastrophykat

Visit site
Just saw this! :D

I adore Menai bred D's, and the thorneyside lines as well, Ru is down through Nebo Daniel, and pretty but slightly loopy ;) I like his stamp, but adore the menais!

Taraco are breeding some stunners as well, she exports all the time.

Good luck whatever you decide!