Welsh D Breeding Lines..

be positive

Visit site
I don't know much, you could put it in breeding to see if you get any more response, but she is very inbred back to Nebo Black Magic, her grandsire The Terminator is again very closely bred, his sire is also his damsire which is extremely close especially with the same lines on your mares dam side, so if they are hot you have a real injection of hot blood coming from everywhere.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I had a daughter of Nebo Black Magic, my first pony, she was very sharp, intelligent, courageous and could do anything asked of her. A complete star, loved her. Now have a great, great grandson of Nebo Black Magic and he is the exact opposite, nervous and worries about trying anything new but they have both been very well mannered to handle and very affectionate.

The_Dappled_One.

Visit site
I had a Cwmmawr! Half brother to yours :)

My lad was opinionated and stubborn but not really hot. He wasn't a particularly athletic type of Welsh like some I've seen.

882956_581159631903425_1378820630_o.jpg

Boulty

Visit site
I know nothing about breeding but looks to have the same insane amount of Nebo Black Magic and some of the same lines (I recognise Cippyn Real Magic) as my creature. He nearly landed flat on his face spooking at a horse in a field "hiding" behind a hay bale the other day. This sort of thing happens regularly...

He can be very nervy and his default response to something he doesn't like is panic like mad! He can also be totally unbothered about walking over tarpaulin/ over ditches etc (we're starting to do le trec) and is finally turning into a semi-reliable hack in company (still rather iffy on his own without someone to hide behind!)

Tern

Visit site
Hi yes, When I first looked at it over a year ago I did notice all the Nebo Black Magic in her.. not uncommon to have him spread around a lot unfortunately!

TDO - Yes, all the Cwmmawr Cobs are half brother/sisters as they used the same sire for all of them! I have the more athletic type. :)

The Nebo would explain the sharp behaviour then, thanks all.

Rhodders

Visit site
Nebo black magic sure did earn his keep! He's on my d's lines too, it seems back in the day they had no qualms with a lot of inbreeding, it seems to happen less these days. My boy is quite sensitive, gentle and trusting but he can also react a bit skittish. However, he doesn't have a nasty bone in his body

Tern

Visit site
Nebo black magic sure did earn his keep! He's on my d's lines too, it seems back in the day they had no qualms with a lot of inbreeding, it seems to happen less these days. My boy is quite sensitive, gentle and trusting but he can also react a bit skittish. However, he doesn't have a nasty bone in his body

Yes, when he was around he was used like billio.. shame really.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I have a Welsh D X with Nebo lines and she is extremely sensitive, difficult to catch and not very people-orientated.

Have another unregistered Welsh D and she is an absolute darling! :)

taraj

Visit site
Another one back to Nebo Black Magic, just on Dams side though! Will do anything for you, jump anything, go past anything if you say its ok but sometimes forgets that a rug being put on wont kill him, neither will a person walking in the distance!! (have owned him for 9 years, don't know a lot about his first few years) Its all about trust with him. In the school at home 9 out of 10 times his lazy, but get him in a show ring and he turns into a little power house!.

WelshD2011

New User
Visit site
My Welsh D has Nebo in his breeding. Not nebo black magic but 4 different ones. He is a lovely character, can be nervous of new people and experiences, but learns very quick! He is a star under saddle; recently brought into full work after a year off after backing and is quiet and steady in hand. Wouldn't change his cheeky loving personality.

Don't know much about his sire; Gywenllan Sparc?
Know alot about his dam as Im in contact with my boys breeder :)

Tern

Visit site
I see you got added and have had a few responses, though not sure most are informative, but hopefully some will,help you.
Is he your first Welsh d?

Yes, first Welsh D but used to handling them.. I have had her over a year now, just wondered if her lines had anything to do with behaviour. :D But yes, must admit not most informative.. just telling me that she is rather inbred.. knew that. :rolleyes:

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I know nothing about breeding but looks to have the same insane amount of Nebo Black Magic and some of the same lines (I recognise Cippyn Real Magic) as my creature. He nearly landed flat on his face spooking at a horse in a field "hiding" behind a hay bale the other day. This sort of thing happens regularly...

He can be very nervy and his default response to something he doesn't like is panic like mad! He can also be totally unbothered about walking over tarpaulin/ over ditches etc (we're starting to do le trec) and is finally turning into a semi-reliable hack in company (still rather iffy on his own without someone to hide behind!)

Sorry but the nearly falling flat on his face after spooking at a horse hiding made me laugh!
I've got a D. Wish I knew his breeding but old yo who I bought him off got him from a dealer.
He is quite lazy to ride unless out hacking down the fields but is very spooky often prone to doing excellent half pirouettes. Will be standing on the yard then suddenly notice a crack/ piece of hair and leap back, breaking the string, dragon snorting as he goes. Jumping he can jump well but will notice extra poles that have been added/ fillers will eat him (may be hindered by numpty rider ) has to have "routine" (if he was person could almost be classed as autistic) can be a pain to catch too (has previously spent a week out one summer as couldn't catch him.) If he doesn't fancy going out in the morning he will go spinning round the stable. He is never nasty never kicked or bitten etc. Dont think he has a nasty bone in his body. Very very intelligent and will rarely knock poles jumping as careful due to the spookiness. Very nervy doubt he'd travel happily etc.
He has probably been mistreated before old yo got him, would love to know how much of his "quirks" are nature or nurture. When I rang to insure him the lady I spoke to when I was saying about him actually said typical Welsh D, thought it was just mine but also this forum lists several!

Last edited: