welsh d s losing weight

curio

Visit site
does any one have a welsh d who is a poor doer despite them being natives? if so how do you manage them and what feed do you give
thanks

PucciNPoni

Visit site
My mare, and my friend's gelding (both welsh d) aren't your usual good doer types. My mare is on box rest, is maintaining a low-ish weight and is fed on 2 large scoops chaff, balancer, and two large nets per day (and is on complete box rest).

My friend's gelding is about 6 or 7, he gets hard feed, chaff and two large nets at night - lives out rugged and unclipped during the day, and adlib haylege outside all day. He's a wee skinny minny and she's struggling to get weight on.

Janette

Visit site
I don't have a Section D, but I DO have a DalesXcoloured....... who needs considerably more than thin air to keep any condition on her!
Atm, she's on the full ration of Alfa A and Top Spec balancer, with 2 large nets, because she's been in for the last week.
She's only in very light work as well (dark nights, no school and poor weather don't help the matter either). I don't want to put her on conditioning anything because she's not putting the energy out that way. She's just maintaining atm.
I am not worrying, I am NOT worrying.......honest.
wink.gif

Her pal who lives nextdoor (coloured cob X WB with a dollop of shire in there somewhere) lives on hay, and a handful of Hi Fi.... Rachel was muttering yesterday as she tried to get his girth to meet the girth straps of the saddle....... think he'll be loosing the Hi Fi......
wink.gif

Taffster

Visit site
Some welshs are very very slow to mature and can take upto 7-8 years old before they have grown into themselves and maintain a healthy weight. If you think this is not just him growing then I would replace hay with haylage to start with as this has more nutritional value than hay. If this doesnt work then i would give them high fat feeds such as build up and not necessarily increase the amount of hardfeed given, especially if not in a great deal of work.

Falconwood

New User
Visit site
My mate has a D x and he dropped weight once the grass stopped growing, she changed his feed and I ahve since moved onto this too as it is a lot cheaper and very affective for keeping weight on
We now feed, fast fibre, sugar beet, barley flakes and Alfa- a
You don't have to feed so much and works a treat for weight gain and management
We also feed Haylage.

curio

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry never heard of this. Mine only has to look at a blade of grass to put on weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what i was led to believe of the breed so iam a little surprised that he has dropped weight
he is now 4 yrs old ive had him since a yearling, he is in at night and fed adlib hay, a full stubbs scoop of graze on and half of fast fibre,
the only thing that has changed this year is hes not on haylage.
and he is wearing two lightweight rugs, and a neck and shoulder clipm which has just about grown out
he also isnt doing much at the minute due to the weather, he was last wormed in nov and teeth have been done
but i have noticed he has had another upwards growth spurt and now i can see his ribs and brushes play a little tune on them wheras before they could just be felt which i do prefer
i would rather not get haylage in as it went through him a bit last year and my traditional cob will pile on the weight as i buy the big 4ft round stuff
is there anything i could add to his diet or increase but he does go silly on cereal mixes, and is quite sharp anyway

thank you

Smogul

Visit site
Constant struggle to keep weight on our Section D who is laid back beyond belief and certainly doesn't use it up in nervous energy! Try grass nuts, oil in feed and pink powder. Rug warmly - our boy's coat appears quite thick but compared to Shetland and hairy cob, has almost no lanolin (greasy stuff which keeps them wind and watertight).
After 10 years we still haven't got it all ironed out!

kylie88

Visit site
mine is the same he was 5 this year. i do think once he has finished growing things will change, but as mention earlier they are oftern late matures so i don't expect things to change untill he is aleast 6/7. to be honest i don't worry to much at the mintue, hes not really skinny but could do with a bit more weight but he gets plenty of hay and is fed graze on, sugarbeet and pink powder twice a day and i rug him well to make sure he keeps warm.

L

lilym

Try a combination of Allen and Page calm and condition alongside alfa a oil......I have a sec D Who as a 3/4 year old looked like a streak of bacon, all feet, ribs and hips despite being well fed, he had a growth spurt!! I have had him since he was 5 (was owned by a freind before me) and he has filled out no end in the last 12 months, so try not to worry - they are very late maturing as a breed.

star

Visit site
i've got 2. one lives on fresh air and the other (the youngster) costs a fortune in feed. he gets ad lib hay and 2 massive feeds of Alfa-A Oil, TopSpec CoolCondition cubes, Baileys Outshine, TopSpec balancer, Alfa-beet and sugar beet. He uses it all up running round the field and fretting it off spotting ghosts!