Welsh D Showing - Giving it a go!

Alaadin

Visit site
I am hoping to do some local riding club showing with my loan pony. She is a Welsh D so I was hoping that some people could give me some advice re turnout for me and her? Any tips and products recommended would be great :)

P.S we will probably be mainly doing inhand and ridden M&M and veteran

horseywelsh

Visit site
Hello, give it a go, you will have so much for fun.

Turnout for you should be a tweed jacket, shirt ad tie, cream/beige jods. A velvet hat, or fo local level a velvet hat cover on your skll cap is acceptable. Always wear gloves too and have hair tidy and in a hairnet.

For horse: Welsh D's should be shown natural, so no trimming of mane/feathers/beards etc. You can subtley pull the mane if it needs a tidy but whatever you do don't have it too short. Tails can be cut, some do have them quite short, personal preference but don't pull the top of the tail. Have a discrete numnah in the same colour as your saddle and either snaffle, pelham or double bridle (any is fine at local level).

Products wise, lots of elbow grease and I find cheap supermarket shampoo works just as good as the pricier equestrain equivalents. Coat shine will come in handy and some clear hoof oil.

If you're on facebook there is a WPCS (Welsh Pony and Cob Soiciety) facebom page which has lots of photos on to give you an idea.

Most of all remember it's al about having fun and enjoying yourpny, good luck.

Alaadin

Visit site
Thank you that's very helpful!

Any advice also on turnout for both of us for inhand? I'm also thinking of doing a couple of purely inhand shows

Todmiester

Visit site
Welsh Cob turnout-
Ears trim outer tuffs, beards remove, whiskers either tidyup so they are even or take them comletely off. I remove completely. Manes pull to a reasonable lengh to enphises(sp) the neck some Cobs look better with quite short manes, plait a single plait behind the bridle but dont roll it up. Tails either long or short again it depends on what suits the horse, mine have all had short 'cob' tails. Some need a little tidying up at the top as they look like bog brushes, keep tail wrapped in tail bandage till just before going into class then remove. Oil muzzle and eyes to make them stand out. I use sunblock vaseline on sunny days, baby oil on dull days.

Either an inhand bridle or white halter what ever suits the horse. Mine get shown in halters.

Handler- Hot days inhand outfit is a shirt tie and waistcoat and comfy trousers, boots with grip. Cold days I wear my tweed jacket.

Here are some photos for help
Picture477.jpg

Picture486.jpg

houndandhorse138.jpg

Alaadin

Visit site
I forgot to mention, she only has half a mane :(

Half of it is quite long and the other is totally non existent. I'm not allowed to touch her mane so I guess it will have to stay like that... :/

Todmiester

Visit site
Mane wise Id trim the longest parts back to the shorter part of the long mane so its more even. Dont worry about the non existant parts it happens to many natives and wont go against you.

Whiskers just trim the very long ones so again they match the short ones.

Wash and chalk the socks so they are mega bling, fairy liquid cleans up socks amazingly, chalk when wet bandage over gamagee overnight then brush out before going into Ring fluffing up the feathers.

Love her head, Id say a white halter would suit her head better than a bridle.

Alaadin

Visit site
Thanks a lot :)

Can I just ask a couple of questions? What's the significance of doing a plait behind the bridle?

She may need to be shown in her Pelham as she can get quite excited around other horses. I'm not sure if she's done in hand before...

You have beautiful horses by the way!

Todmiester

Visit site
Star The Todmiester has Parc and Synod lines. He has Synod Ranger on both dam and sire side and looks typical Synod. I was Judged Reserve Supreme at a Welsh Silver Medal Show by the Synod stud, they raved about him. It was only after we completed the final Judging that I thanked them and told them that they had bred his great grandsire. They agreed he was like Ranger in both movement and manners. That made my day, as I was besotted with Ranger grew up with himr living along the road from me.

The plait is traditional and is supposed to allow the Judge to see the jowel more clearly. At big shows like Royal Welsh the plait has ribbon woven into it.

Alaadin

Visit site
Thanks Todmiester. Does it particularly matter that her mane lies on the left? Nothing about her mane is right to be honest haha!

And also how would I got about tying a red ribbon into her tail when it obviously won't be plaited. Whenever I've tried previously it's just fallen out!

Todmiester

Visit site
Star your Cob is lovely. My friend Pat owned several Sydenham Cobs the most prolific was Teazel who was a liver chestnut mare who did very well under saddle and then gave the Durris stud some lovely foals.

Alaadin even though we would like to have the mane over to the right you should not be put down because her mane naturally wants to lie to the left. I dont tend to put red ribbons in tails for inhand horses even if they do kick out I just warn folk to keep a wide berth. 99% of people will not walk up the backend of a horse.