Welsh D weight

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
I'very decided Welshies are so hard to keep a decent weight! Been super careful with mine this year and I think he's looking slimmer than last year. It's hard work though, we are on a yard with great grazing so I'm riding him 6 days a week to keep his weight down. Plus he's in a smallish paddock with other fatties.

He's never been a skinny horse and has to potential to be absolutely enormous within a few weeks. Do you think we're doing OK? How are other people's Welshies doing this summer?

Supertrooper

Visit site
Personally I think he looks good and more importantly you have his weight on your mind. I know what it's like, I'm paranoid but also have to tell myself that I'm doing the best I can!! Apart from being able to stop the grass from growing, that would be handy.

My pony can't be ridden or lunged, he can't cope with walking out but is field sound so he's currently on restricted grazing. I weigh tape him weekly and check for fat pads and if I can feel his ribs which amazingly I can this year, he's also weigh taping less than last year.

Would love to have a big bark turnout for him but I don't so we do our best

image_25.jpeg

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
Thank you Supertrooper, he's not slim if you compare him to a fit warmblood but then again he is what he is :)

I don't envy you with him not being able to be exercised, must be really hard to keep him lean. Sounds and looks like you're doing a great job especially given the circumstances. I know what you mean about constantly checking for fat pads, I poke him all over on a daily basis! :D

Supertrooper

Visit site
Try not to beat myself up about it, he's a complex little chap and I have to manage his mental wellbeing also. Main way I manage him is to not rug him in winter unless I absolutely have to and then he only has a rain sheet on. He will drop a lot of weight over winter just by keeping warm.

Get more paranoid twice a year when World Horse Welfare come and check him ;-) But even they say you do the best you can, he's a fatty and always will be!!