Welsh D's - do they all dish?!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
If the horse's movement isn't straight, it's leg conformation isn't straight.

Any deviation puts additional strain on aspects of the limb, predisposing it to lameness.
Nope. Never had a lame horse that dished. Had several lame horses that moved straight and were straight, so that isn't an absolute.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
'Predisposed' to lameness does not mean 'guaranteed' to have lameness.

There are many other things that cause lameness even in a horse with good conformation - as you note - so why look for extra trouble by buying a dishing nightmare? I appreciate that some people think dishing is 'flashy'.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I think of this video whenever dishing is discussed. You can see that the (desirable for the breed - Peruvian Paso) 'termino' movement comes from the shoulder. It still looks a bit odd to me and I've watched videos of Pasos a few times. Maybe I need to see it IRL to really understand it?

Mule

Visit site
I think of this video whenever dishing is discussed. You can see that the (desirable for the breed - Peruvian Paso) 'termino' movement comes from the shoulder. It still looks a bit odd to me and I've watched videos of Pasos a few times. Maybe I need to see it IRL to really understand it?

In slow motion it looks like it's doing a jig!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I've trained Pasos, both Peruvian and Fino, and love them to bits. They are tough, sound little horses that fly along in the smoothest gait ever.

There are many cultural conformational "givens" with horses that ain't necessarily coupled with actual evidence......

flying_high

Visit site
Returning to the OP and the horse for sale - For me the fact that it is not symmetrical, the dishing is different in each front leg, and more marked in one leg than the other, would concern me more, than the fact the horse dished. Different movement in one front leg to the other, IMO is a potential warning sign for future issues. Symmetrical deviances of any kind less so.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
No, absolutely not! Mine did not, I wouldn’t have bought him if he had done - I don’t think it’s necessarily a sign of unsoundness, it’s just something I don’t really like
I agree. Nothing to do with soundness just a personal thing that I don't like.

SpringArising

Visit site
'Predisposed' to lameness does not mean 'guaranteed' to have lameness.

There are many other things that cause lameness even in a horse with good conformation - as you note - so why look for extra trouble by buying a dishing nightmare? I appreciate that some people think dishing is 'flashy'.

Because as it's been mentioned, dishing isn't an indicator of lameness or lameness to come.

blitznbobs

Visit site
If the horse's movement isn't straight, it's leg conformation isn't straight.

Any deviation puts additional strain on aspects of the limb, predisposing it to lameness.
That’s not what my vet said it’s not what the leg does in the air it’s what it does when it hits the ground - if the foot lands flat it’s fine and not a risk factor for lameness

Green Bean

Visit site
When I was looking for a horse last year, I didn't go and see one because he dished on the one leg. Just a personal thing, but then ended up with a mare that used to forge quite a bit but now that she has been in proper work, doesn't anymore. (didn't even know it was a thing until I googled it!)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
That’s not what my vet said it’s not what the leg does in the air it’s what it does when it hits the ground - if the foot lands flat it’s fine and not a risk factor for lameness

That's my understanding too, if they are landing straight it's not really an issue to worry about.