Welsh pony and cob names - pronounciation and meaning help

Mare Stare

Visit site
Actually its not, if you think about it English is far more complex than Welsh. Welsh is basically say it as you see it, all you need to do it learn the Welsh alphabet & your pretty much away.

I know English is complex because its a hybrid language but I was once told by a Russian that it is easy to learn because English is everywhere.

Welsh isn't as simple as learning the alphabet. There are mutations to words depending on how and where they are used in a sentence.

I've barely got a grasp of English grammar so Welsh grammar doesn't stand a chance with me!

Last edited:

navaho

Visit site
I know English is complex because its a hybrid language but I was once told by a Russian that it is easy to learn because English is everywhere.

Welsh isn't as simple as learning the alphabet. There are mutations to words depending on how and where they are used in a sentence.

I've barely got a grasp of English grammar so Welsh grammar doesn't stand a chance with me!

Welsh is pronounced as you see it, or so i was taught in school, im not actually referring to how it is used, but as for speaking it & reading it i think it is far simpler than than trying to pronounce or read some English words, which in fairness dont always make a huge amount of sense really, Greenwich & Keighley are 2 place names which spring to mind, neither are said how they look.

LittleGinger

Visit site
Ooh... Lot of knowledgeable people here! Does anyone know how to pronounce 'Sioncyn'? This is the Welsh half of my Welsh boy's name. Is it literally si-on-sin or different?

Waffles

Visit site
Ooh... Lot of knowledgeable people here! Does anyone know how to pronounce 'Sioncyn'? This is the Welsh half of my Welsh boy's name. Is it literally si-on-sin or different?

Sioncyn is pronounced "Shonkin" more or less

Great thread by the way - I'm in South Wales, where, as people have pointed out, there is little effort by non welsh speakers to pronounce place and road names. There is a road near us called "Heol Uchaf" which locals pronounce "Heel OOchaff" - I can't understand why people won't make the effort to at least try to pronounce stuff properly! (this is by people who are born and bred in wales, have probably done at least some welsh in school and have lived here all their lives)

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Im actually refering to people who dont make any attempt to try & pronounce welsh words, its very common place in South Wales (i suspect to the infulx of English has alot to do with it), for example no effort to pronounce the LL in anything..anywhere that starts with Ll is just said an an L.
There is a little village called Rhydyrfelin down there, they say "r-hid-fell-in" to me its should be said "reed-err-vel-in"...if that makes sense? Another one is Penyrheol...they say "pen-r-ow-l" to me its "pen-err-hay-ol".

Well I live a stones throw from Penyrheol and was brought up by welsh speaking English parents (both war evacuees who learned welsh as children when they were sent to this area) and you are right we do say penrowl! Very annoying for welsh speakers. Not sure you can judge all South Wales as such though as I now live in Pontardulais and you will hear welsh spoken in the shops and pubs. The welsh medium school is overflowing and the language is going strong. My son has gone through Welsh education and he wouldn't dream of pronouncing Penyrheol incorrectly. I also love the language and am very proud that my son speaks it. It is funny hearing him speak and trying to think of an English word to finish his sentence but he will know it in Welsh. I have learned it as an adult but still have difficulty keeping up with a person born to the language. My parents who hadn't spoken welsh for years now speak all welsh to my son. I do feel that there are to many English words being used in the naming of the welshies though and wish people would find out the welsh for whatever they decide to call them and use that instead.

Waffles

Visit site
Thanks Waffles. If I can take advantage of your knowledge again, please... His Dad was SEIONT SERYDDWR (not shouting, just copied and pasted!) - not sure where to start with that??

I'm not a first language welsh speaker (though my nan was) so Cobiau Cymraeg Wyllt would be the best but Seiont Seryddwr should be roughly "Sigh-yont sair-ruth-thoo-er" kind of thing - tricky to write it in English - the DD is like TH in "the" rather than TH in "thing"

Waffles

Visit site
Well I live a stones throw from Penyrheol and was brought up by welsh speaking English parents (both war evacuees who learned welsh as children when they were sent to this area) and you are right we do say penrowl! Very annoying for welsh speakers. Not sure you can judge all South Wales as such though as I now live in Pontardulais and you will hear welsh spoken in the shops and pubs. The welsh medium school is overflowing and the language is going strong. My son has gone through Welsh education and he wouldn't dream of pronouncing Penyrheol incorrectly. I also love the language and am very proud that my son speaks it. It is funny hearing him speak and trying to think of an English word to finish his sentence but he will know it in Welsh. I have learned it as an adult but still have difficulty keeping up with a person born to the language. My parents who hadn't spoken welsh for years now speak all welsh to my son. I do feel that there are to many English words being used in the naming of the welshies though and wish people would find out the welsh for whatever they decide to call them and use that instead.

I know a first language native welsh speak who lives in Penyrheol and pronounces is "Penrowl" - in Swansea, that's what they do, it seems.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I know a first language native welsh speak who lives in Penyrheol and pronounces is "Penrowl" - in Swansea, that's what they do, it seems.

Yes you are right, I worked in the centre of Swansea and they don't have a clue how to prounounce the Welsh words for the streets they are living in! I was in a school and kept correcting the children but it was a lost cause as they would go home and tell their parents the correct version and be told not to be so silly it had always been called whatever.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
mine is waundafydd (which I believe is near cardiff!) Glyndwr ;) :D

The only time it has ever been used by a commentator is for RC area SJ as it has to be their passported name :D :D ..

we stick with Frank ;)