Welsh pony - showing advice please!

sue_ellen

Visit site
My daughter's registered section b gelding is a handsome beast, and they have done rather well at local showing recently, resulting in them both qualifying for some rather larger championships. She qualified her old pony last year, and the competition was very stiff!

I'm no expert but he is rather nice and moves straight and very correctly. My problem is this, I've looked at pictures on google and at quite a high level these ponies seem to be very well trimmed around their heads, whiskers ears and jawline. Charmer will not tolerate clippers near his head, even the very small quiet, cordless ones, nor scissors either. If I am going to all the effort (and expense!) of getting them both there, then I at least want them to have the best chance possible. My daughter, who is 15, has brought this pony on from scratch, virtually by herself, and she is so proud of him.

Any suggestions? Do I need to trim his whiskers and ears or could I leave him natural? Is there some kind of sedative I could use, do the ones like oxyshot actually work? I haven't got any sedalin but I suppose I could get some if I really have to, but I only have 2 weeks to go to the first show.

Thanks in advance, and thank you for reading.