Welsh section a feed advice

Mikec80

New User
Visit site
I wanted some advice on feed for a Welsh section a pony. He is currently schooled/hacked 4 times a week light/medium work but can sometimes be a little over excitable and seems to have plenty of surplus energy he is wanting to burn by breaking into a canter without being asked and often very eager to step up the pace.

he is currently fed once a day in the evening/late afternoon on baileys no 4, top spec linseed mash and a handful of Alfa a oil obviously only a small amount of each,this was the diet he was fed by the previous owner. He is turned out for 12-14 hours a day and when in his stable is given a couple of sections of hay approx 2.5kg.

Someone recommended switching him to a cup of Baileys no 14 lo cal balancer (Approx 250g) and to keep the handful of Alfa a oil as the no 4 has so much starch compared to lo cal.

Others have suggested just switching him to hifi and some pony nuts.

The pony is in lovely condition And just right size wise not fat or thin just looking for something to calm him slightly and cut his energy levels a little.

any advice would be appreciated.

twiggy2

Visit site
I wouldn't be feeding a bucket feed to a Welsh a of good weight with energy to burn personally
They should get everything from grass and hay.
I would give salt if they did not make good use of a lick and that's it.

peanut

Visit site
Low sugar, low starch and fibre, fibre, fibre.

As said above, grass and hay should be enough, but if he needs a feed, I'd give him a handful of Dengie molasses free chaff and/or fast fibre.

Reactions: PSD

mini_b

Visit site
I’d take him off all feed to see if that makes a difference.
Probably don’t even need a balancer even if the grass quality (note not quantity) isn’t great, they thrive on fresh air.

be positive

Visit site
I wouldn't be feeding a bucket feed to a Welsh a of good weight with energy to burn personally
They should get everything from grass and hay.
I would give salt if they did not make good use of a lick and that's it.

I have never fed any of my small ponies in spring/ summer even if they are on restricted grazing and working harder than yours is, it is very light work not medium, they get a token over winter if they need it but most are able to thrive on very little food and plenty of exercise.