Welsh section Ds

foxy1

Visit site
I sold a D a few years ago to a family for their 13 year old daughter and the vet who vetted him for them said that if the sale fell through he would buy him for his 13 year old son! (it didn't)

I much prefer a D to a haffy having had both, I would suggest going and trying lots.

Good luck!

Law

Visit site
Good luck with your search- i'm a massive section D fan and another one that thinks that they can do anything! You mentioned earlier about heaviness of horse and whether you can get lighter ones... I would definitely say yes, you can! Mr Darcy is one of the lightest welsh Ds i've seen around but they do come pretty light. He's very sharp off the leg, narrow chested and a medium narrow saddle so they don't all have to be x-wide in the belly department! :D I also know a fair number of section Ds doing medium level dressage and above :)
Some pics of mine :)

oxertypefence.jpg

IMG.jpg

darcy10.jpg

DSC02743.jpg

DSC02319.jpg

brcarea21novicedressage.jpg

nikicb

www.facebook.com
My friend has a section D for sale at the moment, but he is not cheap, but is one of the safest I have ever know (hence the price I think....)

A good section D should fill out as shown in the pics posted by others. I would be concerned about the one you have seen in the ad - the confirmation pic makes me wonder how exactly you would get a welsh pony so lean? Even a young one! There are plently that aren;t such good examples around, which is not to say that they aren;t nice ponies in themselves.

Brandy, where is your friend based and is the horse advertised somewhere I could see the details? Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Thanks!

lauraandjack

Visit site
I think there is a lot of variation within the breed - some are very sharp and stupid, others quiet and anybody's ride, and plenty in between! You do also get variation in weight between lines, some are very chunky while others are a lot lighter. Lots of height variation too.

You just need to choose carefully! I'd steer away perhaps from the popular showing bloodlines, as a lot of these are nutters, and also have a very stompy up and down action (not good for riding) and go for the more traditional "farm horse" lines (which is, in fact, what section D's were bred to be - pulling a cart and going round the sheep).

I've ridden/ owned/ loaned a number of cobs over the years, and each one has been different.

But as a general breed they are so versatile - they'll have a crack at almost anything, sometimes to a very high standard. Cheap to keep and great fun.

Nag in avatar hunts, shows, hacks, fun rides, x country, SJ/WH and we'll do some dressage when I get round to it!

star

Visit site
Law - i see your light Section D and raise you!

this is the scrawny rising 6yr old i bought:

this is him hunting fit last season:

this is him now, carrying the most weight i've ever seen on him (following 8wks box rest). He's now just turned 8yrs old and you can see has seriously matured in those 2yrs.

he can jump for sure!:

and he's pretty good at the old dressage lark too:

for comparison, this is my old boy aged 23 last yr. He's built like a brick out house and knows it!

he was pretty damn good at the dressage and got 81 BD points, regionals 3 times and BD Winter Champs and came 4th but you can see he is a totally different kind of horse.

he can jump, but not as athletically as my youngster:

they're like chalk and cheese really. both quite sensitive, but otherwise miles apart in terms of character. both of them are a challenge, but in different ways. certainly neither would be suitable for a novice. Welsh Cobs do "character" in a whole new way!