WELSHIES - ADVICE ON MANES/FEATHERS PLEASE

sbsmiths

Visit site
Have recently bought a Section D and although he's gorgeous I just think he would look even better with a pulled mane and tail and no feathers. "Oh my God leave him alone" I hear you all say but is there anyone out there who agrees or am I completely immoral to contemplate this? Jane

rara007

Visit site
Some section D's do look stunning plaitted up and feathers removed as sports ponies
smile.gif
Really true to type ones look best natural-ish. If you want to show you need the feathers, but otherwise they can look smart trimmed.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
most welshies have pulled manes anway. Personally am often sorely tempted to hog mine and take off his feathers mostly cos he gets hot in his feathers in summer and so gets a bit scabby and I end up arab plaiting his mane to help keep him a bit cool.

He came hogged and with no feathers 4 years ago and didn't look too bad, took about a year for mane to grow back to a sittable length. If you don't want to show him as welsh carry on there are positives from them being a bit more naked.

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
I love feathers + mane etc but yes, there are different opinions. I think they're a bit like marmite - love or hate!
Whether to keep traditional or de-hairyfy them comes down to 3 things...
1) Personal opinion
2) How the horse is built - and what would make them look best (neck build is particually important in the mane debate)
3) What you intend to do with them.
Have you got any piccies you can show us?

nobbster

Visit site
to be honest i do like the full antural look but that is jus me, i do think it welsh d look good all natural i think there are slighty to chunky for no feathers ect........ mine are all natural and doing welll jus use pig oil an sulpher cowboy magic ect... to keep feather mane tail nice...

sorry jus my opinon xx

BigRed

Visit site
If you want to show him, touching the feathers is a no-no, but you can thin and shape the mane and tail. If you don't show in native classes, do what you want, after all it's your horse.

Theresa_F

Visit site
If you are not showing him as a native then it does not matter what you do. If you do want to show him as a welsh D, then he will need feather left and you can have a tidy mane but not a short pulled one.

I think the natural look suits the old fashioned really chunky types best, but that is only my opinion.

Saying that I have just turned the chunky section C my niece rides into a smart hunter pony - he has really scruffy feather and mane no matter what I do, hence the trimmed and plaited look which does really suit him, and as we don't have papers it does not matter that he is not left natural for showing.

horseywelsh

Visit site
i have had a few years showing my welsh, and now having taken dressage seriously and qualified for the National Trailblazer finals at novice and elementary i am going to clip his feathers off and plait him up. Keep putting it off, but i am going to do it, he will look super sleek then me hopes
smile.gif

trendybraincell

Visit site
As everyone else has already said, it really depends on the horse and what discipline you are going for. I thin and pull my boys mane to about 7-9 inches, then when do dressage I can sew in some reasonably good plaits...but its alss the best length to show off his neck for showing.

Have you got a picture?

D

Donkeymad

Depends on what you want to do with him. If he is a happy hack, dressage, show jumper, etc then it is your choice. if you want to show, then absolutely not.

star

Visit site
noooooooooooooooooo!

honestly - i think Welshies should be shown as much. Be proud of the breed and fly the Welshy flag. I went to the BD Winter Champs with my unplaited au naturel Welshie and he came 4th - pulling and plaiting doesn't get you any better marks. Why try and disguise the breed as a sports pony? I think they look amazing all feathers and mane.

Currently plaiting my youngster for BD as he lost half his mane with his rug and one lot of feathers due to an infection so a bit of a mess, but I refuse to chop all feathers off and am only plaiting till he grows his mane back. He is quite a fine type and would probably look lovely trimmed and plaited, but people already think he's an Arab - at least with his feathers and mane he looks more like a Welsh! Plus, I'm proud of his Welshness and want people to look at him and think Welsh, and wow, what a talented one!

Taffster

Visit site
Isnt it the cardinal sin? Most welsh dont have a great deal of feather anyway but some show d's do have pulled tails. When it comes to plaiting most have thick heavy manes so no matter what the length they still look like golf balls. I suppose if you are going to you may as well do it now then if you dont like they will grow back for next year.
Poor cob
wink.gif