Went to catch horse

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Horse was playing with a dead rabbit. anyone else have any horse-carrion related stories? weirdo.

attachment.php

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Ha ha! I had a horse once who killed and played with: crows (several), rats, and a coyote. He used to race around the paddock chucking them about: weirdo!

Also had a stallion who used to stamp on bullfrogs and turtles.

This was in Amerca, BTW, in case you're wondering at all the non-UK-native species....

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Ha ha! I had a horse once who killed and played with: crows (several), rats, and a coyote. He used to race around the paddock chucking them about: weirdo!

wasn't Iberian was he? cos he's a lusitano and I've never trusted either of my lusos around dogs/ducks/chickens and the last one was seen chasing a fox in his field.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
No, Trakhener. My PRE's are all super good with the dogs, cat, etc. in the fields and the stable.

I always got the feeling from one that they wanted to find out how they all worked..

tbf the last one was excellent with dogs for years but too many badly behaved dogs on livery yards made him very intolerant. This one does like to chase the ducks.

starryeyed

Visit site
Eek!! We used to have a rabbit-killer... he was a welsh mountain pony so during summer went in a smaller paddock on his own which was adjacent to the other horses in their big field, and we kept finding dead rabbits in there with him when we went to bring him in at night. We thought the neighbours terriers must have somehow been getting in and doing it, so blamed them entirely - until we caught him in the act!! Poor things - at least it kept him entertained...

Auslander

Visit site
I have one here (Bernsters mare, actually!) who chases the geese that land in her field. SHe's never caught one, but not for want of trying! I fear it would not end well for the goose if she succeeded -she's very angry about them being in her territory!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I used to have a stallion who would toss sheep back over the fence if they came into his paddock. Never killed any though...

Gift Horse

Visit site
wasn't Iberian was he? cos he's a lusitano and I've never trusted either of my lusos around dogs/ducks/chickens and the last one was seen chasing a fox in his field.
My horse tb/wb won't tolerate cats or foxes in his field; he chases them out with pinned back ears. There is a regular stand-off between him and next door's cat. The cat stalks up and down on one side of the strip-grazing fence, while the hoss patrols the other side with a 'thou shall not pass' frown on his face.

Good picture btw. I never manage to capture my animals doing special stuff

dibbin

Visit site
What a weirdo :p

Jazz likes to chase birds. Especially crows and seagulls, and he once almost frightened the life out of one of my neighbour's hens - I hadn't realised she was in the field when I turned out and the horses charged at her!

His favourite thing to chase, though, is sheep. Our neighbouring farmer lent us some to keep the grass down, and the horses took to chasing them when they came into their half of the field. Horses worrying livestock is a new one on me ...

throughtheforest

Visit site
My sec A has been caught chasing just about anything small and furry/ feathered in his field! The once he was chasing 3 moles, very strange day that was.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Jay likes to chase birds. In fact, we had to stop feeding him in the field as the lovely Moorhens would hang round for a feed, and he stomped them!

He also once had a bird of prey, a pigeon, and more happily a couple of rats on his arena in winter!

Not ever had a rabbit though, that is very special.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Our first horse used to kill rats if they went in his stable (he was kept on an old dairy farm, so there were a few). The odd thing about that though was that they were all flat, no obvious shoe marks, just pressed rats!