We're Going To Try Again-Which Bit?

Amy_08

Visit site
So last season I hunted my mare three times. The last time I cried :( She is a 14yr old TBxSec D, the calmest, most sedate horse in the world! Until it comes to hunting!!!

I always ride in a french link loose ring snaffle with grakle, but I thought for hunting, I might require something a little stronger. So the first time we went out in a dutch gag, on the second ring. She didn't know what was coming so started off fine, but soon got the idea and got very strong. I did get off and put my reins on the bottom ring, but this made her worse and she started putting her head down and charging off with me. I now know she hates poll pressure! She kept getting her head between her knees, snatching the reins and tanking off and was far too quick for me to get her back. So at the end although I enjoyed it I decided to try different brakes for the next time.

So second time I took her in a pelham. I had no brakes whatsoever. She kept overtaking everyone, but she became slightly dangerous with it :( She would overtake when we were meant to be walking, she would snatch the reins and tank off. So embarassing. I didn't stand a chance :(

The third time i took her in an american gag and gave up after the second line as she tried to kill me :( She freaked at the poll pressure and started shaking her head, leaping, head down, bucking and then tanking off. Anyway she could try to get to the front she would. She would barge past horses, down ditches, take me through branches, she was downright dangerous and I can honestly say I was scared :( She went flat out across a road with me and I knew it was time to stop :(

So I've had a few months to reflect and am mad enough to now try again! It was such a buzz the first time I went, I'm maybe hoping that the more I go the more she'll settle (I think I'm kidding myself)

So a few weeks ago we went to hound exercise, a nice calmer introduction to hunting and we went in the snaffle as my instructor was meant to lend me a Cheltenham Gag, but forgot it! It was a much smaller field and we started in the the middle of the pack but she won't walk, she just canters on the spot and really pulls. When we went she just overtook everyone. I had no brakes, but at least she wasn't doing the leaping and snatching the reins from me. She did get her head down, but not as much as normal. So we ended up sticking right at the front and it was so much easier and less embarassing as I didn't overtake everyone, although I did overtake the master once! But being quite a newbie on a normal hunt day its not always easy to get to the front, as all the regulars are.

My problem is also my really dodgy back, which after a days hunting, I probably won't be able to walk, but thats what painkillers are for!

So I don't really want to try the snaffle again as I still had no brakes, she just didn't leap, but I don't want a bit with poll pressure, or she will freak and possibly kill me. I took her to a fun ride just after hunting in a double (she thought this was hunting) and also had no brakes. So suggestions please???

Cliqmo

Visit site
I ride a tb ex racer a few days each week, he is as soft as anything until he gets his blood up and then he is a total fruitloop- squealing, snorting, snatching the reins and getting faster at every given excuse :shocked: :eek:

The owner keeps him in a swales pelham (you can find out info at www.equichoice.co.uk/acatalog/Neue_Schule - at first I thought she was bonkers as they are best known as driving bits, however I can verify that it really works!!

Kat

Visit site
Sounds like it would be a good idea to play with some different snaffles and see if you can get something snaffle based that is a bit stronger. Maybe a twisted snaffle as these stop them getting hold of the bit and tanking. Horse I sometimes ride used to do this in his myler but is a different horse in a twisted snaffle, you can stop him and he softens better too. They have a bit of a bad reputation, when my instructor first suggested it everyone was horrified, but the one she has is not sharp or rough at all and the twist is more to stop the horse fixing on it than to be more harsh, we now have a couple of horses that go well in them.

Or a cherry roller or waterford might help, or you could get a Dr Bristol and use it the way that it isn't angled sharply into the tongue. They are pretty harsh, but if she needs a snaffle type bit that is stronger......

Or Kimblewicks are very popular for horses that get strong hunting or in similar circumstances.

Amy_08

Visit site
Thanks ali_m, never heard of it before, but googled it and am now intrigued! Very expensive though. I will enquire in the bit bank!

Katt, yes I think going down the snaffle route is a good idea. Someone at the yard has leant me a waterford, so I will try that this week. I have also seen that a lot of people use kimblewicks, so this is another option to try, thanks.

Lollii

Visit site
You are brave going out again!

But ... it is addictive, I have a simalar problem with bits for hunting, I now have so many bits it's getting silly!

My horse snatches down, pulls the reins out of my hands and lunges forward, I can just about hold him in a NS Waterford but he still snatches down and lunges at the jumps.. it is horrible! eveything I have tried with poll pressure - the NS Universal is the last one I tried - just makes his snatching worse.

I am now trying a Kineton noesband but I haven't been out hunting in it yet, it is so difficult as he is fine all the time except for hunting :confused:

No help to you except to say I know what you are going through!!

faerie666

Visit site
I would try the Cheltenham Gag, my horse was similar to yours, although maybe not quite as bad, but he cut his mouth to shreds.
Tried dutch gag, pelham etc, with sort of worked for breaks, but he was still snatching and got a sore mouth. Tried CG, and he turned into a model citizen, and no sore mouth anymore. :)

Amy_08

Visit site
Thanks Hermangerman, not sure about brave, more like stupid!

Yep she is the same, absolutely fine the rest of the time so I can't test the bits until I go hunting. Someone said to me today how about going out on a hack and her going off in front, but I know my horse won't bat an eyelid, she'll just amble along!

Faerie666, yes the CG has also been suggested to me, so I may give that a try as well, thanks.

Lollii

Visit site
Not stupid - just an addict!

Let us know how you get on and what bit you go in?

I am thinking about going out on Sunday (armed with a pocket full of gadgets and different bits - and a grass rein!!) today is the first day I have stopped aching since the last time I went out nearly two weeks ago ... I think I must be mad, but I really want to get it sorted and have a great day out!

star

Visit site
good god, i dont think i'd take her in a waterford - they're rubbish at stopping strong horses - it's just a snaffle with bobbly joints! my old horse was stoppable in a kimblewick but ran straight through a waterford - it was seriously scary.

i saw a guy out last week with daisy reins on - something i have considered for Llewi but I dont think you should jump with them on. it might just teach her not to yank and go though.

I didn't realise that was her breeding? TB X Welshie? Where does the colour come from coz neither TB's or Welshies are allowed to be coloured. Would explain the crazyness though! Llewi's madness plus a TB's speed - no thanks!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Jointed pelham, or french link pelham if you can get it, with 2 reins and curb (with lip strap). Ride off the top rein most of the time and it's a nice, soft mouthpiece. If she yanks you or tanks off, ride off the curb. Mine needed 3 touches on the curb on saturday (prior to that I'd tried loads and he was either unstoppable or refused to go forwards because bit was too strong, spun round, reversed flat out etc...) to realise that the curb was quite uncomfortable.

One thing though, I found that when the field do set off across a field at a good canter, I really make sure I kick him on. I now know I can pull up if need be so I try to have the lightest contact the rest of the time. I found I was pulling for the sake of it, to make sure, just in case... he hated it. We've come to an agreement now - kick on and let him go when they go, he stops when I ask.

Lollii

Visit site
I only took mine in a Waterford becuase this was the only bit he can't get a hold of with his teeth and yank forward, but out hunting he was doing it somehow, he isn't so strong that I can't stop him, he just get so excited he can't control himself!

(So glad he dosen't overtake the Master like OP!)

I am going to try the Kineton (supposed to stop leaning & strong horses?) and if that doesn't work I have a grass rein or a a daisy rein to put on him to save my back and teach him a lesson I hope!

Amy_08

Visit site
Yes I was joking about a daisy rein today, but maybe not a bad idea, I just wouldn't be able to jump, but it would give my back a break.

Oh no Nicola, its the only bit I've got at the moment. Otherwise I might have to take a trip to Surrey Equestrian and buy a bit, but then i'll end up buying more stuff!!! Yes she's a bit of a mixy, sire TBxISH, dam Sec D x. I just wish I could have the speed when I need it, ie, XC and I could even cope with a little crazyness XC! Are you out on sunday?

Gucci, thanks, I take it you won't be joining me??? (wimp) LOL!

I'm beginning to think this may be a bad idea :(

star

Visit site
i'm out on sunday. what size bit is she? i've got a few spare now - i have quite a collection trying to find something to suit Llewi. Sunday is open farmland - let her go and just be prepared to jump everything in the way?!?!!?! Start at the back and by the time you've worked your way to the front we'll probably have stopped for a rest lol!

Gucci_b

Visit site
LOL..... I'm ill :-( "sniff sniff" but will try to be there as i'm good at 1st aid, and i def won't be taking my girl hunting again in a hurry, i felt like lester pigget at the Grand National on the last hunt LOL, I had brakes thow ;-) in the end..... my mare just loves the hunting a bit too much 4 my liking, and it undoes some of the work i have done to calm her down. i tried nr the front, middle & back of the field and it's all the same for bee, one big race, no thanks tried it and don't like it with my t/b. p.m my sister when it comes to bit's'n'brakes she's getting quite an expert

Amy_08

Visit site
First aid!!! Thanks Julie! That fills me with confidence!

Nicola she's 5.75", what've you got? What are you riding Llewi in now?

Open farmland sounds perfect, (except I'm sure they'll be some big hedges in the way) Oh well I'll use them as brakes!Not sure whether to try and get nearer the front to start with though, but we'll see.

Gucci_b

Visit site
we have 2 field masters again this sunday, why not go with the 2nd f.m and ask for a nanny, then if your doing o.k !! change to the 1st f.m at the end of the line...

star

Visit site
First aid!!! Thanks Julie! That fills me with confidence!

Nicola she's 5.75", what've you got? What are you riding Llewi in now?

Open farmland sounds perfect, (except I'm sure they'll be some big hedges in the way) Oh well I'll use them as brakes!Not sure whether to try and get nearer the front to start with though, but we'll see.

big hedges might slow her down! not sure if you start at the front you might end up in front of Andrew lol - might be worth going with 2nd fieldmaster for the 1st line and see what she's like up the front for that?

Llewi is a 5.5" so maybe all a bit small for Rosie. Reckon a Chelt gag might be worth a try as can use the snaffle rein if she's being good and give her a sharp reminder to behave herself if not! Llewi hated it though - remember I used it at Barossa - had a right fight with him all the way round. Did most of last season in the double and then the french link pelham but the curb rubbed him raw so have ditched that now. Currently using a tom thumb with a leather curb. Used the ones with cherry rollers last week, gonna use the one with just a small central joint on an angle this week and see if any difference. Still not entirely happy I can stop when I want to - depends how fast he's already going! I can stop him from going even if all the others go, I just cant stop him when we're going flat out and he doesn't seem to see them stopping in front!

Amy_08

Visit site
Yep I will probably go with the 2nd fieldmaster and see how it goes.

I'm not going to try the Cheltenham Gag, I remember what Llewi was like and I know she'll hate it, its the poll pressure! I've got a Swales Pelham to try, so that is what we're using on Sunday. If it doesn't work I'm giving up!

skewby

Visit site
One thing though, I found that when the field do set off across a field at a good canter, I really make sure I kick him on. I now know I can pull up if need be so I try to have the lightest contact the rest of the time. I found I was pulling for the sake of it, to make sure, just in case... he hated it. We've come to an agreement now - kick on and let him go when they go, he stops when I ask.
I find this too - not just hunting, but as my lad has always been a tank, I learned the hard way a long time ago! If I'm always "testing" the brakes he blocks me out, and why shouldn't he?! I'm being an unreasonable nag!

I also make sure that when everyone goes, I ask him to go before he has chance to take the decision himself.

star

Visit site
wont be there on Sunday now so let me know how it goes. i've got a cold and Llewi's got a bit of a snotty nose, so decided to work this weekend instead and means I can go next weekend which is a fab meet!

Amy_08

Visit site
LOL Hermangerman!!!

Yep agree entirely Skewby, will be trying this my mare, so will let you know it goes.

Star, thats a shame, but hope you two feel better soon x

KatB

Visit site
Amy, my coloured was IDENTICAL to this, plunging, leaping, generally being a git! And he would rear if I had too much hold on him :( Best thing I found with him was a Universal with a curb strap, and a grackle. The curb strap stopped any poll action, and this kept his head up too! I had tried a pelham, a CG, a balding gag, a tom thumb with a curb and without, a happy mouth dutch gag with a strap, and all were horrible on him! :p A swales was on my list of things to try though, so fingers crossed it works :)

skewby

Visit site
Amy GOOD LUCK for tomorrow! I am sure you will have a brill time! Will be keeping fingers crossed for you and make sure you come on here to update us! :) xx

evsj

Visit site
I was going to post the very same question til I saw this thread.
Livery yard where I keep my field ornament (resting having done her check ligament) have very kindly let me have use of a 16 year old Percheron x Irish mare that needed bringing back into work.
She's incredibly forward going and pulls like a train but they had her in a Dutch gag, which I hate and she just puts her nose down and goes anyway. Tried my mare's pelham with two reins the other week on our first time out but she objected to the curb action. My instructor suggested the CG when my own mare discovered the joys of playing skittles with the rest of the field last year. I was thinking about Waterford mouthed bits as well.

Anyway, thanks for posting - it's saved me asking! :)