We're heading towards 16.2hh.....that wasn't the plan!

cblover

Visit site
I think the realisation that my 3.5 yr old Clyde x cob will end up so much bigger than first expected. Dam is 15.2 and sire is 15.1. He's already about 16hh and bum high. It's not unreasonable to assume he'll reach 16.2 is it? Think grand parents are definitely playing a part here. Lol like I said it wasn't the plan or expected when I got him as a foal....but I love him anyway.

Anyone else got a freak of nature?

dunthing

Visit site
My old highland's dad was 14.1 and his mum 14.2. He was 15.1 and has a full brother who is 15.3. I'm sure it goes back to the introduction of Percherons many years ago and of course, better feeding.

Doormouse

Visit site
I think the realisation that my 3.5 yr old Clyde x cob will end up so much bigger than first expected. Dam is 15.2 and sire is 15.1. He's already about 16hh and bum high. It's not unreasonable to assume he'll reach 16.2 is it? Think grand parents are definitely playing a part here. Lol like I said it wasn't the plan or expected when I got him as a foal....but I love him anyway.

Anyone else got a freak of nature?

I had to chuckle at this! I put up a thread earlier this year about what height my bogof 2 year old might end up and you very kindly replied saying the string test was working for you and your clyde x cob was on target to be 16hh!

Guess I'll put my string away!!!!

To be fair I'm just jealous cos I've got the opposite problem, sire 16.2hh and dam 17hh, 2 year old still 15hh and looking very set!!!

cblover

Visit site
Ha ha. I'm laughing now at myself. I did the string test but didn't do it right and measured using the tape straight down to the coronet band holding it off the contours of the leg. I've later realised that I needed to follow the contours of the leg, hence the fact it's measuring bigger. Think I might need a parachute. Lol

Asha

Visit site
You are not alone. My 4YO, whose mum is 15,2 on her tip toes, dad 16.2 ( although all his progeny to this size mare have topped out at 15.2) is now 16.2 and bum high. He was a first foal too, so had banked on something smaller. weirdly enough he doesnt ride big. That never made sense before, but it does now !!

Sounds like you have a big fella on your hands, but as i keep reminding myself its the temperament rather than the size that matters. Have you started backing him yet ?

cblover

Visit site
Mine is a first foal too. I'm preparing him for backing over winter but I'll be leaving getting on board until the spring of his forth year. He's not mentally or physically ready yet.

Doormouse

Visit site
Ha ha. I'm laughing now at myself. I did the string test but didn't do it right and measured using the tape straight down to the coronet band holding it off the contours of the leg. I've later realised that I needed to follow the contours of the leg, hence the fact it's measuring bigger. Think I might need a parachute. Lol

I went off to find a parachute smilie and did but can't work out how to paste it in here!!!!

Fools Motto

Visit site
Meanwhile, I seem to end up with the runts!! Poor things, just as well I love them and there is so much ear fluff they can't hear when I say 'wish you were a bit bigger'!!

welshied

Visit site
My ISH is 5 and still growing his dam was 14.3hh and his sire 16hh and he is standing at 16.2hh and still seems to be growing hes grown an inch this past 6 months hopefully hes stopped now though

Annie B.

Visit site
I bought myself a foal to make 16.2/3. I told everyone I wanted a big bay lad, well I certainly got that he's 18 hands and still growing. Apparently he is going back to his Demonstrator line they can throw the odd giant. Thank god I have long legs.:).

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
If I do the string test from knee to coronet on my 2 yr old, it says 14hh, but she's already 14.2. If I do the string from ergot to elbow, it says she will be 15.3hh (which is what I want!).

skyrock

Visit site
well i do not know how big my yearing saddlbred will be . her mum is 14 hands her dad was 5 .3 nd her grandad was 16.2 and baby is about 14 hands at whithers but she is bum high and really bum high i think she will get ti 16 hands. the vet saw her a few weeks ago and he says yes at least 16

cblover

Visit site
Sounds like there's quite a few lovely freaks of nature out there. Do you think I can expect mine to be 16.2? I'd hope he wouldn't make it all the way up there but I have a feeling were heading that way.

I can't post a pic since the new forum style came out. I need an idiots guide to help me. I've got a photobucket account with literally hundreds of pics.