West Wilts Report

dieseldog

Visit site
I went and did the Intro today, my horses 1st BE event and 2nd time on a XC course, and my first time in about 3 years.

The warm up for the dressage was horrible, really rutted and everytime he got going nice he tripped over another blooming rut. So he never felt as nice as he does on our lessons. Anyway we got 38.4. Which wasn't too bad, but he can do better.

Showjumping was fine and he jumped clear.

The XC, well, he started a bit green and the 3rd fence was a bit nasty and he jumped it enourmous (there is a terrible picture of me nearly falling off), then he stopped at some tyres, which was naughty. Jumping round nice til we got to fence 11. A hedge with a ditch in front, pretty big, and he has never seen anything like it before, he stopped at it twice and the third time I wish he had stopped as he jumped it so big that his bum hit me in the back of my head, my teeth went clunk inside my head, I flew out of the saddle and somehow my saddle flap was bent backwards under my leg. Even the commentator said OMG.

By this time I cannot breathe, pull up, steer or do anything as I am so knackered, the next fence was a double on an angle and he jumped the first part but I just couldn't turn him, so missed the 2nd. By now I am probably eliminated, but I cant really think that straight let alone count so I kept going as no one said anything. He jumped the rest OK went straight in the water and we finished the course.

If there is a next time the reins are going down a ring on the bit, I had no brakes at all by the end.

So a bit disappointed especially as my sisters had to go on and on about how crap it was.

I'll put some pics up in the gallery

tigers_eye

Visit site
Oh DD really sorry you didn't have a great time. Hope you're not too sore or anything (not sure from the way you've written it but you didn't come off, just went up his neck right?). At least he does do it though, just looked at a ditch really! Did you have your stirrups up from sj length? Take a bit of time before you decide whether or not to have another bash. And ignore your sis, she was exceptionally lucky to have a horse who took to it like hers did.

dieseldog

Visit site
No I didn't fall off, I ended up nearly sitting on his bum, luckily he didn't buck afterwards. Stirrups were the smae length, are you supposed to put them up?

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Things can only get better!!!!!! Well done for getting as far as you did though and for carrying on even though you practicly had your teeth knocked out of your head
shocked.gif

x

tigers_eye

Visit site
Well it depends if you ride long, I think quite a lot of sjers do! I find the shorter my stirrups are (within reason, and as long as the knee rolls don't start interfering with my position etc) the more secure I am. Having looked at your pics I don't think they were that long, but maybe try them 1 or 2 holes higher just to see what it feels like when cantering round standing in your stirrups. I sometimes put mine up to jockey length for fastwork just to give my calves a work-out! Well done again, I really do think your horse is very nice.

dieseldog

Visit site
Thank you. I did jump with them a whole shorter, but I felt like I was getting jumped out the saddle a bit, so I put them back down, but they are new leathers so they might have streched a bit since then. My Saddle is really forward cut with the most enormous blocks, thank god for old fashioned stubbens, does make you feel pretty safe

siennamum

Visit site
Well done, you did really well, he was a real star I think , he's not done much XC & was pretty honest. At least he was pulling yr arms out he's getting the hang of it, he'll be even more keen next time.
shocked.gif

Ignore your sister and have a go at the next one.
I think yr pic of fence 3 is a classic, I like to keep those, much better than boring jumping ones. Though he does look fantastic in the flatwork one, I could even start likeing warmbloods (which is pretty handy as Sarah and I are going to see a Belgian Warmblood in the morning
grin.gif
)
shocked.gif

vic07

Visit site
sounds more positive than negative. Well done. can you go xc schooling before your next one? Would agree about stirrup length, I always feel more secure on shorter stirrups. If it all went perfectly first time there would be nothing to work on and you'd get bored! Hope you are ok and you come and play eventing again soon!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Well done - saw your results on BDWP and could not understand why they had not given you a score. You made it round and sounds like he is getting the idea. For a very nice course what about Urchinwood? The xc is so straight forward and no ditches, water or steps. The SJ does not worry you so what about it?

Tempi

Visit site
awwwwwww poor you, you had better start practicing for the next one then - for his second time on a x country course i think you were very brave - mayb some more x country schooling is in order!! you can hire out WW, so why dont you have a few goes around there and then enter for their next intro?

The dressage arenas are awful and so was the warm up when i was there a couple of weeks ago, i dont know how they expect people to do a decent test on ground like that. Well done for the clear SJ xx