West Wilts warts and...well not a lot else BE report!

Charem

Visit site
I think seeing as i've done a report for every other event Asbo has entered it's only right I do one for when it didn't all go to plan.

I had a lonely 2 hour drive up there as owner and friend's were all preoccupied with non-horsie activities:confused: - the only bonus being that owner can't stand Radio 1 and so in her absence Bom Bom by Sam and The Womp was blaring as we rolled on through the thick fog at West Wilts in search of the lorry park.

Grabbed my number, casually tacked up and off we set for dressage. Fog had lifted and it was starting to heat up, Asbo warmed up okay - no naughtyness although he was really lacking sparkle. I was pleased that he didn't have any paddies about going to the dressage arenas and he did a nice enough test but again it felt like a bit of an effort.

After popping back to lorry and depositing pony, dog and I ran round the XC. The ground was surprisingly okay - I was expecting it to be rather hard but in places it was actually cut up. Lovely course, nothing there that I thought would cause concern and so it was back to lorry to get ready for SJ.

I had a small panic that I was running late however they were only allowing the next 6 in to the warm up and were a little behind so we were told to stand in a collecting area. Unfortunately the sun had really come out by then and it was baking! Eventually got called to the warm up and had the pleasure of watching Little Brittania, Headley Brittania's 4 yr old daughter warm up along side us. Again Asbo felt dead, tried to wake him up with some forward canters around the edge but he still continued to be stuffy. Popped the warm up fences a couple times and then walked round until it was our turn. As usual once in the ring he perked up and I felt confident that we were going to have a nice round....how wrong was I :( He didn't want to go anywhere near the first fence and so we had a stop at that. Jumped it well on the second attempt and he went on to jump 2,3 and 4 nicely too. Got to 5 which was a double and again he decided that actually he didn't want to jump it. He crawled over it on second attempt and then we were both very unbalanced coming to the second part and so he ducked right and the bell went :(

On hindsight I should have taken him back in the warm up but with the 6 riders only system I doubt I would have been allowed and tbh I was feeling rather deflated about the whole situation. So back to lorry to pack up, grabbed our dressage sheet (33.5 which I thought was rather generous) and trugged on back home.

I spent most of the drive mulling over why he decided to play up. I think a lot of the stuffyness was down to how hot it got and the standing round. He's starting to get his winter wollies so perhaps its time to clip him. He seems well in himself so I don't think there's a virus brewing but i've bought him some Propell Plus to see if that helps. He's pretty fit (regularly does 4 hour rides without breaking a sweat) so he should be more than capable of a little intro event. With regards to the stopping, a while back owner and I thought we would put him in a working hunter class at Ellingham show which had an awfully small warm up with lots of kids bombing round. He got upset/peed off and went in the ring in a foul mood and refused to go anywhere near the first fence, we were eliminated and had to leave the arena. I think he may have picked up on this as in the past if i've had problems with him doing something I stick at it until he goes but then he was asked to jump, refused three times and then got away with it...which is kind of what happened again today:mad: So i'm currently trying to find a little local sj comp/clear round that I can take him to as HC and make him go round before next weekend when we're meant to be going to Munstead although if he feels anything like he did today I may just withdraw. No point going all the way there to do a dressage test and half a sj round.

Melted penguins on offer, they're kind of manky/stuck to the plastic wrappers and the jokes seem to have gone drastically downhill since I last bought a packet but they're edible enough ;)

Tangaroo

Visit site
Sorry to hear you had a crap day but sounds like a good dress score! Good idea to find a local thing or clear round to go to where you can make the point to him to keep going no matter what. They are cheeky sods sometimes and some are far brighter than we give them credit for when it comes to learning bad things. Hope you get it sorted so you can go to Munstead next week:eek:

James6

Visit site
I was at WW today and the SJ was causing lots of problems and nappiness. Sorry you had a rubbish day, hope you get him sorted soon!

bounce

Visit site
The photographer was James Pyne photography.

You were not the only to have problems today Charem. There seemed to be problems everywhere, in the SJ and the XC. Its a bright and scary arena and seems to catch a lot of horses out. It also has quite an atmosphere with everyone standing on the bank beside it to watch the XC. I got caught out with an emergency stop at fence 1 and I only just managed to stay in the saddle but am now sporting a sprained wrist in my efforts to stay on.

Mine has also been really under the weather this week almost to the point I was going to withdraw. I've put him on First Horse Back to Form and in 4 days he has really perked up, but he has got silly and spooky with it. I'm putting his lethargy down to growing his winter coat. He did the same last year also in September.

LittleGreyMare

Visit site
Sounds dissapointing! I was there today and also had trouble at number 5 - i think there really was a sun problem.

I don't actually think there was a good time to compete today it was either thick fog or boiling hot!!!! I am also feeling a little deflated after a 40 dressage in the RF espically after horse warmed up so well and then literally couldnt be bothered!

where are you next?

jules89

Visit site
don't worry, that arena really does throw them! Was there pure sj-ing with a friend's 6 year old and she said that the ring is like those on the sunshine tour! 6 yr old went in his first round and gawped all the way through and only started jumping properly in his 2nd round! :) onward and upwards

Charem

Visit site
Thanks all, I think we were both a bit in awe of the new arena...very bright! Last time I was there the warm up was on grass and the course was in the tiny dark indoor. Certainly has changed!

I took the Asbo one to Bovy today to jump round their unaff sj. In an attempt to get his jumping mojo back I put him in his dressage snaffle, wouldn't have dreamed of doing that last month as he's usually silly strong jumping but figured I would rather have him towing me around the course than how he was yesterday. He was a bit better but still quite sticky at the fences. The warm up there wasn't very big so I couldn't give him a good blast round. We jumped the 2'9, it was awful. We had a bit of a wobbly moment when jumping 3 and Asbo decided to dive to the right which nearly resulting me coming off. That threw me a bit and I think I just stopped riding him to the fences which resulted in more sticky jumps. Credit was definately due to the little fella for getting round the course when he had every right to stop (unlike yesterday!).

I came back out feeling really crap and went back to the lorry to have a bit of an emo moment for 5 mins. Eventually pulled myself together and then went back but swapped my jump whip with the schooling one and took him in HC. A couple flicks with that and he felt like his old self and popped round really nicely, he seems to respond to the schooling whip far far better than the jumping one. I only have to flick him with it where as he pretty much ignores what I do with the jumping stick so i'm wondering if I could get away with a short version of the schooling whip for the jumping phases? Anyway in the ring I tried to get my act together by not sitting like a lemon for the last few strides and I suspect everyone could hear me chanting Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and so on whilst going round to keep my rhythm but it certainly helped. We had a silly pole at the end but all in all the last round felt much better and so we finished on that.

I'm going to give him 2 days off now, clip him out and take him for a jolly on the forest on Wednesday to see how he's feeling before deciding about Munstead.

Thanks again everyone for your wise words. Oh and for the benefit of Measels 'I'm the cat with the drum and base, going round like bom bom bom!' - it's SOO not my type of music but so very catchy :)