Western hol in Spain..

pagancluf

Visit site
Just returned from a weeks "working" holiday in Spain (Near Malaga). Had a really good time, eleven horses, all Andalucian and 2 qtr horses, had to ride in Western Tack for a week - the saddles are like dinner trays and my legs must have grown 4 inches!
The guy that owns the ranch trained his horses to stop at any gait with "whoa" - bit of a suprise on my first canter! - the pommel kept me just in the saddle (but slightly bruised!) He was very strict with his horses and if they did something wrong in the stable used to chain them up for 4-6 hrs to think about things? Am I soft or is this a bit too harsh?
I consider myself firm but fair with my horses - especially the second one, after learning the hard lesson with the first and thoughrally spoiling him for a year
What do others think? They were chained up with a thick chain 2 ft long (no bailing twine) and could not feed etc for this time - sometimes after having a few stern cracks with the whip/hand depending upon severity of naughtyness?
confused.gif
confused.gif

Tia

Visit site
Here in Canada it is common practice to cross-tie with chains.....I can't see the point you are trying to make regarding the thickness of chain. No idea why a lot of Brits tie to baling twine anyway - seems incredibly daft to me, LOL!!

I think what others do with their horses (providing it is not out and out cruelty) is no-one's business. I am very strict with one of my horses....the one who works cattle. I don't hit him but he must do as he is told immediately without question or he will be reprimanded with repetitive movements and a telling off. When he works the cattle he has to be totally obedient.

All of my grown horses are trained to "whoa" on command at any gait.

When horses are being used for the public to ride out in the wilderness you cannot allow bad manners.

flyingfeet

Visit site
I don't think that is cruel - English people do tend to be very soft with their horses and then revert to beating which is far worse.

A consistent non-violent approach to training always produces a well rounded horse.

The cavalry also cross tie their horses in stalls.

jinglejoys

Visit site
Hope you said hello to any of my mule Malaga's relatives!
I'm a bit at a loss to know why this "new" (Well since I stopped riding in the sixties to when I've started again now)trend of tieing up on baler twine,started.If the point is to tie up the horse then why tie it up so it can easily break the tie?

Weezy

Visit site
Sounds normal and decent practise to me - sorry but I grew up over there!

And all my horses, stop when they hear whoa (especially all the Spanish horses I have - they are so sensitive to hand and leg that training them via voice creates more harmony IMO)

Were you near the Western Studios by any chance?

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Different countries have differing methods, but I fail to see why tying up short for a few hours and a few cracks would make a horse "think" about what it's done.
I reckon their brains work on immediate things not past misdemeanours so a whack when tied up would produce nothing but puzzlement in a horse's mind I reckon.
Years ago I would have lost my temper with a naughty horse and thoroughly whacked it, experience has taught me it isn't necessary, a louder voice and a couple of sharp smacks are just as effective if done at the immediate time, such as when Chocolate picked CCJ up by the hip, walloping him as he dropped her worked a treat!
I would look at any horse's eyes for how it's feeling, if it looks dull eyed and worried then the punishment isn't working..
We have an andalusian here who was imported, he has a scar on his nose from severe tying up, and when he arrived he was a nasty so and so and chased his groom round the stable. Now after five years he is the sweetest horse imaginable and actually comes up to you for a cuddle, oh he will still attempt the odd nip but not if you mutter at him..
I think those methods don't really work very well and time will prove that, a lot of the rest of the world has moved on, eventually the basic method Monty Roberts preaches of try and communicate rather than dominate by force will spread further.

GTs

Visit site
Only a couple hours - I know people who leave them overnight! As HH said it probably does nothing, I have not done it, however people who demand manners from their horses even if some of their methods are lacking logic generally have very well behaved horses.

Weezy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We have an andalusian here who was imported, he has a scar on his nose from severe tying up

[/ QUOTE ]

I would hazard a very well informed guess that it is not at all from tying up but from using a serreton when breaking!