Western Riding - what do you think?

attheponies

Visit site
Now that I'm getting old and creaky (too many war wounds!) I have been wondering about re-schooling my connie X to western riding, just a bit worried about her rather energetic trot (impossible to sit to!) & the reaction of my fellow liveries/locals. Just wondered what everyone out there thinks, has anyone else tried moving from english to western, has it worked for both horse & rider?
confused.gif

Suffolkangel

Visit site
I ride my pony in a western saddle and love it. (the Dun in pics) It's so relaxing and comfortable. You can do rising trot too if your horse is bouncy... (i've seen them do it at western shows i've been to and do it myself...) I didnt retrain my pony, i ride him as i would normally just with a western saddle instead!
grin.gif

attheponies

Visit site
This all sounds great. Apologies to all western riders, I didn't mean you need to be old and creaky to ride western (far from it!), I'm just hoping that the western saddle and longer stirrup length might be easier for my stiff joints and a bit less easy to fall off 'cos I don't bounce quite like I used to!

CrazyMare

Visit site
My friend rides western, and is the only one on our yard. No one thinks its odd, its just what she does, like others happy hack/ SJ etc

hesychia

Visit site
On a Western horse the lope is quite hard to sit to when you first try it, but if your horse is English trained then it wont be so bad
smile.gif
But it is mega comfy! I'd definetely give it a go
laugh.gif
But the saddles are very different, and you'll need to have lessons
smile.gif
Good luck!

Nickijem

Visit site
I rode my previous horse in a western saddle. I absolutely loved it, I would still do rising trot and I would have a forward position when fast cantering!

elizabethshaw

Visit site
re schooled my old mare from english to western about 15 yrs ago and she actually went better for me! Connemaras make great western mounts, especially as they are so intelligent - they are usually very good at the trail type stuff that requires precision. As others have said, you can still post in a western saddle, although ideally you will aim for a quieter more smooth trot, which it is possible to get with re training. For help you could contact The Western Equestrian Society who are an all-breed society and pretty much cover the whole country. Also visit www.thewesternshop.com where you will gets plenty of advice etc. Most people are quite accepting of western now, although there are still a few dinosaurs around on yards that might make the odd silly comment.....'Yee ha' is a particular favourite, and not very original!

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
A western saddle maybe more comfortable it depends on your 'war wounds'. I have found that they tend to be wider than English saddles so that you have to open your hips more, and unless well padded can be murder on 'bum bones'.
Another thing I have noticed is that when buying one you have to get one that fits you as well as it fits the horse and what works for one person may be tourture to another!

Unless you want to teach your horse to neck rein you shouldn't need to do any retraining. As mentioned above it is possible to rise in western saddles and I have found it just as easy to just stand in the stirrups, on horses with bouncy trots, and let it all happen underneath you.

With regards to staying on, once you are used to them (can take a while) they are good for things like shying, stumbles etc on a trail. But with a horse that is misbehaving (ie bucks, rears, etc) I will always prefer an English saddle.

I consider my self to have good 'stickability' as a rider, but I did manage to fall out of a wastern saddle at a standstill when I was laughing and not paying attention, went to save myself with my knees, but they had nothing to grip so just slipped out the side door...very embaressing!
blush.gif

Pedantic

Visit site
Nothings written in stone, give it a try, if it doesn't work go back to traditonal, we started with a GP saddle when I first had his lordship, then used a cheyanne treeless for a couple of years, now we have a Thorogood endurance saddle with a sheepkin seat saver which seems to be the ideal combination for long rides with a bit of jumping thrown in, I tend to mix my riding aids a bit anyway, he will ride traditional or kneck rein lovely, mix and match to suit yourself I say, whatever works, he just seems to know what I want anyway.

Dont take any notice of others comments, if it's good for you and your horse and improves your comfort and enjoyment bollocks to them.
We have a guy on our yard who rides in his Polo gear and rides Polo fashion, his mare goes from walk to canter and stops brill, one handed reins, he doesn't play polo, it's just his thing, I think differences are good and make the horsey thing richer, as long as it doesn't cause injury or discomfort to the horse.

Jazzelle29

www.claireadamson.com
I second the fact that its well worth getting a good quality saddle that has been correctly fitted. The really cheap "package deals" on Ebay are not that great quality at all. Also, ensure you buy a saddle with pre turned fenders-or find out how to turn them so your knees and ankles are not strained by the effort of turning your toes out. I ride western and english and love both for different reasons.