western saddle help

odd1

Visit site
HELP!!
i am looking for a western saddle, horse takes a wow size 3 plate which i think is a wide/xwide fit in english terms
i have been looking on ebay but none seem to say what width they are, i know they sit different but they must have different widths:confused:
i have also been looking at the treeless ones but my main concern with treeless saddles is that there is nothing to take the pressure off of the spine - i havent really looked into treeless much even in english though so i could be barking up the wrong tree so to speak!!
so just wanting to know what sort of size of a western saddle does a horse that takes a wide - extra wide dressage saddle need and are treeless ones any good and do they press on the spine at all
thanks for reading
:cool:

EAST KENT

Visit site
Not as far as I know,you just bulk out with blankets to get a fit.Whole different construction ,made to just about fit any workhorse.

rosie55

Visit site
Hiya, I don't know where you are based but would suggest you get in touch with a western saddler, there is one in yorkshire and one in hampshire, pm me if you want more details.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
You have to be very careful when buying a western saddle . Allot are Mexican ones.

You can tell the proper ones as they have made in Wyoming on the fenders where the two pints are to change the length. Allot of cheap ones don't have this , like Robinson ones
this is what it should be like

Hiya, I don't know where you are based but would suggest you get in touch with a western saddler, there is one in yorkshire and one in hampshire, pm me if you want more details.

There is also this one

http://www.westerntackstore.co.uk/

chestnutmarelover

Visit site
My hubby has started riding western, cheap = nasty. U need full qh bars, we had to spend a substantial amount of money for a correctly fitted authentic western saddle. Any seller that says 'fits any horse' is the same, whether english or western, full of ****!!! Hooves Western are based in Yorkshire but travel all over the country, try looking them up, they are vey helpful :)

TPO

Visit site
Just for info there are some useful fitting guides on here

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com

I ended up importing a saddle from America as it was so hard to find a fitting one with short skirt for my QH.

There does seem to be more good quality ones about in the UK now.

vonno

www.celticqh.com
Probably full or extra full quarter horse bars. However, different makes differ in width/flare so try and get one fitted if you can. (As previously advised either Hooves Western or the Western Saddler)
As said above, avoid Mexican and go for a quality American made saddle.

odd1

Visit site
thanks for all the info, think we will just leave it just now there aren't any western saddle fitters near us we are in ne scotland
i dont want to go and end up with back problems my horse means way too much to me for that
thanks again though

ROANYGIRL

Visit site
HI as you are in scotland, go onto aqha website and look up breeders there are quite a few up there,, i am sure they would be willing to help you,prehaps you could trailer your horse to one of there yards to try a saddle and have a good chat with them,, hey don't bite ,, please dont give up ,, roanygirl:D