Westphalian Brand

cptrayes

Visit site
My horse has the Westphalian "cupcake with a cherry on the top and a W inside it" brand but I have only just noticed that his summer coat is showing "18" beneath it.

Pardon my ignorance, can someone tell me what the "18" means???

Frumpoon

Visit site
oh yeah...summat to do with number of babies born that year...not sure, I will message lady who bred my boy when she's next online....

825kk

New User
Visit site
I was told it was only given if they are imported out of the country. My boy has a 54 under his, also corresponds to the number in his passport. Would be very intrested to know!

cptrayes

Visit site
Mine wasn't exported until he was 4 and I hope they didn't hot brand a 4 year old :( It looks the same age as the rest of the brand and exactly the same sort of "depth" to it - none of his brand is terribly clear.

525kk does yours have a lovely temperatment too?

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I don't think my boy has a number underneath the brand? Is it in your horse's passport too? Mine was foaled in the UK.
Westphalians are beautiful, but then I would be biased!

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Just searched and found out that the number indicates that the horse was branded in Germany, but that that number belongs to a brander, who travels to the various inspections

Cuffey

Visit site
Second try with google--think horse data incorrect--this from a post on Ultimate Dressage

''The registration papers are done long before the horse is presented at an inspection/branding.

I would imagine that the set up for the Westfalen registrations is similar to those of the Holsteiner area.

For the example if I gave: 21 00842 83, it breaks down to the 21 meaning the foal was born in the Schleswig-Holstein area. The 00842 means it was the 842nd foal registered for that year. The 83 means that it was in 1983.

Hence, the horse was branded with a 4 2 under her registry shield, as part of the 00842. It makes it possible to identify the horse even without papers. If one can guess the age of the horse, the registry has less sets of identities to go through to get to the one that belongs to that certain horse''

825kk

New User
Visit site
Absolutely.. He is just lovely so kind and willing, a dream to handle but still with the little spark that makes him a fun ride. A very gentle giant.
He had me conned in to believing he was one in a million and he obviously thinks im very special.. Clearly its the breed! : )

cptrayes

Visit site
Absolutely.. He is just lovely so kind and willing, a dream to handle but still with the little spark that makes him a fun ride. A very gentle giant.
He had me conned in to believing he was one in a million and he obviously thinks im very special.. Clearly its the breed! : )

Just like mine. 17 hands of gentle sensitivity and willingness to learn, with that bit of spark that says "look at me".

Just checked his passport and his ID number ends 1806, his brand number and the year of his birth.

Thanks for the answers peeps.

Last edited: