Wet coat, fur coming out - what is it ?

ellerslie83

Visit site
picture.php

Hopefully the picture has worked!

Typically I'm just about to try and sell my horse as I've been ill for several months and see that it's going to take several more for any proper recovery.

A friend has been coming to ride him and lunge him and apart from a possible bout of mild lami last year which he's completely better from, and a bout of mild conjunctivitis this week which he's got eye drops for (which I think was from getting hair in his eye when I was getting his winter coat out), he has no other issues to my knowledge, but I've only had him since last July. Behaviour wise he's the same sweety as ever so no change there.

He's a 13 year old grey cob and lives out with a companion. He was rugged all winter and in the last few weeks I've been putting a light turn out rug on him most nights and taking it off during the day.

In the last few weeks I noticed he had a weird wet spot on one shoulder, when I rubbed it some of his coat came out, but I just thought maybe our other cob might have groomed him, plus his winter yeti coat is coming out. Only it's now on the top of both shoulders and now and area on his thigh - I can find no evidence of sores, broken skin, scabs, visible parasites. There is one place he can rub himself through the rug, but this wouldn't explain the wetness. His diet hasn't changed (speedibeet, hifi-lite, safe and sound) except the addition of pink powder senior in the last two weeks -so after the start of this. His environment hasn't changed either, he's in the same relatively bare paddock as always.

So I'm not sure whether he's just too hot to have a turn out on at all overnight, or there's something more sinister going on! I've tried googling it but only come up with wet eczema, but it doesn't look like the pics I've found...guess I'll try leaving a rug off him?! Any suggestions or ideas appreciated?!

ellerslie83

Visit site
Thank you, I think I will try that and see what happens, I guess I never assumed it could be just a sweat problem as we also rug his companion at the same times and he is much heavier-set (ahem...fatter - though on a diet) and he hasn't sweated one bit...I think I will definitely try it and hope it helps!

slumdog

Visit site
My tb gets this if he is too hot, I'm on my phone at the moment but ill try and post a pic later. He's currently out 24/7 without a rug :)

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Looks like just a rug rub and sweat to me. Have a good, close look at the inside of your rug/s on the side where the hair's been rubbed away. There may be a sharp bit of nylon thread or seam that's been rubbing more than the other side or that's been irritating so he's rubbed at it even more.