Wet land

slambid

Visit site
I potentially have the option to buy some land. Its currently sheep grazing and is very wet. Surface water over a lot of it and slippery everywhere. Does anyone have knowledge of land drains? Do you think there are options to dry it out or is this a potential route to bankruptcy. There is no hard standing or buildings so I'll have to get planning before I can look at stables or a barn.

honetpot

Visit site
You need to find out what type of soil it is first, drains only work if it has somewhere to drain to, and the soil will allow the water to drain into it.
I would look on the local planning portal as to what has been passed locally. Horses are classed as an amenity animal, so that makes it harder.

SusieT

Visit site
Is the surface water due to a nearby river or stream? if so it will be very hard to get drained.I would be very wary - and also you could find out who grazes the sheep and ask them about managing it?

slambid

Visit site
There don't seem to be any streams etc there is a gully in the field but its full of weeds. It seems to just be rain lying on top of the field. Don't think its clay as not sticky mud.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I'm not sure what area you are in but we have a lot of surface water. Some comes from springs which seep up, possibly because of the whin sill. The only way we manage is to graze the wettest part in summer when it dries out, and a huge acreage on sloping ground for winter (about 4 acres per horse).
They do seem to enjoy eating the reeds and rushes though.

slambid

Visit site
Thank you. We would have about 2.5 acres per horse and its quite flat. Have you tried anything like mud control mats to protect the land at all in areas that don't drain?

windand rain

Visit site
Drains only work if they are above the water table if the water table is close to the surface the land will only dry up in long periods of dry weather. Water sits on the surface of bits of our land all winter the fields are sand over clay the only way to improve ours would be to dig a biggish pond and drain into that
Mud control mats are brilliant but have shot up in price due to Brexit