Wet n windy, world champ camp!

Bernster

Visit site
Apologies if the pics come out big on the screen, can’t quite get the hang of posting pics although I have worked out how to resize them to post on here. Result!

Having finally dried out after last weekend’s camp, I thought I’d do a quick report. When you get training from the likes of Ros Canter and Caroline Moore, I think that warrants a separate thread!

Off we trundled to Boomerang for a weekend of 5 star training with 1 star camping haha. Slightly apprehensive as I’ve never camped in a lorry before. In short, the riding and tuition was awesome. The camping, not so much. 3 days of relentless rain and being damp and chilly. Yuk.

Loved Ros Canter. We did brilliantly in both her grid and xc sessions, jumping bigger than I’ve done before and really gaining confidence. She’s very down to earth and I loved that she was open about her nerves and how she deals with any loss of confidence. Some interesting exercises in the grid work, and then the flat lesson with Caroline, using serpentines over cavaletti and poles to change direction and bend. The hardest bit of the flatwork was getting past the VERY SCARY wallabies on the way in!

Nearly didn’t make the xc session after torrential rain the night before. But had a talk with myself and decided that, if a world class rider was out there ready to train me, I couldn’t let a bit of rain put me off. So glad we did despite getting soaked through. We splashed around the xc course and put some nice combos together, working on getting him in front of the leg (the main focus for the weekend).

Got pushed way out of my comfort zone in the sj with Caroline and was worried that my confidence was slipping away. However, she got us jumping a biggish (for us) course twice over inc a water tray, a triple and double combination. Despite a few blips (my nerves mainly), we did some lovely jumps as well. Although I had a serious wobble afterwards, I’m feeling ok about it and realise that I need to jump bigger to get any better at jumping bigger. Go figure!

Overall, although I felt very outclassed by the other riders, we had a great experience but I’ll be looking out for a summer camp next time, ideally with a nearby BnB!

9F935452-AB08-4DA8-A325-8FAD053F5118.jpegC4D85D2D-612F-4848-ADC5-CB18B702ACBB.jpeg38E1C84F-FD04-4E38-9BE3-DB65A32C1DCF.jpegF6A28A19-5CA5-45B2-AA06-8DFB6B992183.jpeg

Asha

Visit site
Well done ,great photos too. The secret to the camping is to make sure you have plenty to drink, then you don't care too much about the cold. But do get where youre coming from with the B&B idea, it seems a much nicer than option. But they just seem to be a bit further away so you miss the whole camp experience

monte1

Visit site
Well done, lovely write up and photos, I saw that camp advertised and was also very tempted, but wondered if it would be a bit "out of my league" and I would have been camping in a tent :-} eeek

after reading your report I will look out for another next year :)

Fiona

Visit site
Fab, well done Bernster x x

We camped in our very basic lorry last weekend in August, airbeds going flat and drips. So I can totally sympathise x x

Fiona

Bernster

Visit site
Thanks all! Appreciate the comments. And the sympathy over the weather haha.

No one was mad enough to camp in a tent. They’d have been washed away! A few did sleep in trailers though. Brrrrrrr.

It was an eventers camp but I was in what had started life as a Wobbleberry group so I was hoping it would stay small. As it turned out there were only 2 Wobblies and the jumps started at 80. Many eek moments on my part but we survived so I’m taking that as a sign I should push myself more. You’d have been fine, monte!

My lower leg generally flaps around like a demonic thing but occasionally I capture an ok moment.

[59668]

Visit site
Love a camp writeup! Saw this one advertised but felt like we would have been much outclassed.
Earlier in the year I camped in my trailer at a riding holiday. Eesh that was cold and damp too! I put a pop up tent up in the trailer and it wasn't the best!

humblepie

Visit site
Ha may have heard some of you having a cross country lesson on Sunday was it? I was hacking out past Boomerang and heard a lot of instructions going on. Glad you had a good time despite the lovely Wiltshire weather.

Bernster

Visit site
Yes it was on the Sunday. You probably heard us splashing about! The whole course was pretty much a water jump but it had tracks so it wasn’t slippy under hoof.